“Little old but economy and affordable”

Onward Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The facilities are little old. Of course the hotel is not like Hilton, but good motivated and smile-full staff and well cleaned rooms might be fit with your needs, as long as you are not kinda celebrities.
There is a big water pool with attractions like sliders.
The location is best for Mall surfers. It is next to the GPO, and 10 minutes to Payless Supermarket.

Room Tip: The hotel is facing to the small gulf. Therefore you should take an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LTT2013
There are newer reviews for Onward Beach Resort

Reviewed May 10, 2014

So my husband and I decided to splurge a little and got a tower executive room for $650 (only $100 more than I spent on a king ocean view at Westin by myself) Friday-Sunday. We were in room 2133. The view was amazing and the coolest part was that because our room was on the end of the building, we had windows over our beds as well. We were able to watch planes come and go at the airport and a little bit of night time lights. It was pretty cool. The elevator situation was not as terrible as others had pointed out and I have two kids under 2 so I don't know, maybe I just have more patience.

The tower lounge is small and cannot hold all the room occupants for breakfast. That was really annoying. I did not venture to the other breakfast area in the wing so I am not sure if that is bigger or not or what the food was like BUT the food in the tower lounge, I thought, was great! Someone complained about runny scrambled eggs and yes, those were there but they still tasted pretty good. In fact- I don't ever remember going to a hotel that DIDN'T have runny eggs. Either way, there were fried eggs as well and those were relish. It was pretty amazing the options one got for breakfast. You could make a sandwich (tuna, egg or meat), pancakes, waffles, cereal, japanese food and more. It was great! I loved it. Too bad I couldn't order a mimosa. That would have been ultimate.

As for the room itself, the AC is kinda loud and not the most efficient. Since you have to use one of your room cards to turn on the electricity, the AC is not running through the day and it gets so incredibly hot. I went to the front desk and asked for a 3rd room key, which they gave to me no problem. Since there was no one in the room when we checked in, the room was hot when we got there.

The beds are rock solid!! Very hard. I have an ultra plush super soft double pillow top bed but have still managed to be comfortable in the harder beds at the Westin, Outrigger and Days Inn but here? Oh man! My back hurt pretty bad. If you love hard beds, this place is for you!

I loved that the refrigerator in the room was bigger than average hotel size and that the room was a walk in closet. They even provided some drinks for us for free. Super sugary juices and terrible beer but it was nice that they offered it to us.

Don't let the pictures fool you, there are zero plants in the room. No flowers like it shows on the night stand, no flowers on the tub and no palm in the corner of the room. So if you see the picture and expect that, don't count on it. With that being said there was a small glass container with water and 2 plumeria flowers on the sink. They were pretty so I moved them to the bathtub.
The decoder was very simple and the picture on the wall, well, I am sorry to the artist who created it but it was terrible. The room had so much potential! The whole time there I felt that whoever the owners are just really missing a wow factor.

Our sliding glass door squeaked which was too bad cause while the kids slept, we liked to sit on the balcony and hang out. Every time one of us wanted to go inside for something, we had to decide if it was really necessary so that the kids didn't wake up. The view was AMAZING. I couldn't have seen a better sunset. They turn blue lights on in the pools so that makes it look awesome as well.

The TV was tiny. I believe it was either a 24 or 32 inch. I have seen bigger in other hotels that were less expensive. There is a HDMI port but no USB port so leave your WD at home.

The staff was amazing! They all had a smile, apologized for any mistakes made, and no questions asked when I had a problem. Best staff of paradise-pleasing-providers I have ever met. I really couldn't be more please with the staff. Too bad the hotel itself doesn't really give you that feeling of amazingness. Even the cleaning ladies. I don't normally use the cleaning service because I don't want any of my things stolen, plus there are all those horror stories about glasses being cleaned by poisonous material and such so I just clean myself but this time, I really needed some help and the ladies were just super nice, quick and with a smile. They took my daughters stuffed animal and put him in her bed so that when we walked in she was excited that he had been there to welcome her. I gave them a $10 tip just for that. You cannot go wrong with with special touches like that.

I also loved how I didn't have to ask for a late check-out. Every hotel I have stayed at here on Guam, check out time is noon. When asked for a later checkout time, I have always been given 1300 (1pm) but at this hotel, you just automatically get it. I thought that was great!

Didn't realize that you had to have a reservation for the fire show. I was so disappointed but luckily there was a festival at a park nearby so my kiddos and I got to see some fireworks.

Location is not that great if you like a night life or shopping. Only thing next to it is another hotel and Shirley's (basically a Dennys). We kind of had a debacle with one of the hotel restaurants so we ended up ordering Dominos pizza.

So now for the water park. I have never been to a water park before (except a water slide park when I was a kid but thats all it was… 4 slides) so it looked pretty awesome to me. I LOVED the wave pool! That was the coolest thing for me. Because of the way the island is in the ocean, you don't really get to experience that whole wave part. I mean, you can but you have to know where to go. Anyway, even with lots of people being there, we were able to find chairs together and have a good time. Someone else had mentioned that space wasn't used to its full potential but when I was there, it was perfect.

It is kind of dirty but with the amount of people that go there every single day and weekend? I couldn't imagine how much it would take to keep it as clean as others on this sight have complained about. Being so high up in the tower, I could see every single dirty spot and clean spot so that kind of sucked but you know what? It's Guam. As soon as you get off the plane you smell the mold in the air so… JSin'.

Sorry this was so long.

Room Tip: Don't worry about a room on the top. You will have just as beautiful views on lower floors too.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Bri T
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Onward waterpark is great for kids, all the slides, the wave pool, the lazy river and especially the Manta are a lot of fun. It's not too big which is good and if you go during the week it's not crowded at all. Also, you get a discount if you have a military or government ID.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank U_s_a_Viajera2008
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Guam may be considered a paradise island of sorts with historic delights to savor. If scuba diving is your fancy then explore the ruins underwater with a guide to gaze at the splendor. The jungle landscape offers scenes of yesteryear where the history is replete with memories of Spanish control, Japanese takeover and the American assault. If you just need to sharpen your golf swings , there are some greens to putter around. The Onward Beach Resort complex glitters with a water park that kids gloat over and the service is impeccable. Practice the Chamorro native tongue that is spiced with some Spanish. Most people speak Japanese and English. Visit the Talofofo Falls and wonder about Mr. Yokoi, a Japanese soldier who had escaped, survived for 28 years after World War II. In all you will have great weather all year round.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Vasu828
Reviewed February 24, 2014

First time to Guam and a great island it is. There's quite a bit to do and if you like diving or snorkeling this is a great place to go. We had a great time in Guam despite the place we chose to stay. We reserved the House Quadruple which wasn't anything more than a dumpy hotel room with no artwork on the walls and one bathroom to share with the entire family. The bathroom didn't even have a locking door so privacy was an issue.

The waterpark is included but one day is enough fun. It's not that big and run down plus very busy on the weekends.

Breakfast was also included but the food was so horrible my family didn't want to return so our coupons went to waste. My son had a birthday while we were there and it is tradition for us to have breakfast in bed though the hotel was unwilling to accommodate our request of a simple thing like a breakfast tray and utensils.

I would return to Guam in a heartbeat but I would never return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Chinachatter
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We visited Onward water park for the first time in Dec. It is a great place to spend the day. However, we arrived around 10:30 and had a hard time finding chairs. There is a lot of space for more chairs this is not utilized. They have a good priced bar with food. But, the food selection is terrible and the line to order was crazy. Even with only 2 or 3 people in front of you, it was an easy 5 to 10 minute wait. I waited 15 minutes once to order a drink. Overall, fun time, but they are missing out on a lot of potential.

Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Lawson2010
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I visited this hotel as a family trip. By visiting there, I found that this hotel is very suitable for family trip because of the number of impressive points which this hotel has.
At first, I liked this hotel’s great location. Since the distance from main town named Tamuning to the hotel was not so close, around the hotel was not noisy. In addition, we could use a shuttle bus to go to main town without fare. It was very convenient to go shopping. Of course, the wonderful point of this hotel was not only its location. This hotel had very good ocean view. From the window of the room, we could see cobalt blue sea. it was so impressive, and unforgettable scenery.
Plus, in the hotel, we could enjoy a lot of water activities. In the site, there were two facilities called “Water Park” and “Marine Park”. Water Park was like amusement park! It has many kinds of water slides and other interesting swimming pools. I loved one of the slides called “The Manta” very much! It was like half-pipe used in snowboard play. I had never experienced such scary attraction before. Before I tried it, I hesitated to play, but after once I tried it, I played it for more than 30 times:) Marine Club was amusement which we can play in hotel’s private beach. From many kinds of activities, I chose jet-ski. It was the first time for me to drive jet ski, but staff taught me how to ride so kindly, I could enjoy this exciting attraction very much. I thought there activities would be so impressive experience.
Also, food was good. Breakfast I had was buffet type, and in dinner, I had BBQ with watching Polynesian dance show. I thought eating delicious food in nice situation is the happiest experience we can have only in the resort like there.
However, I was not satisfied with some points of this hotel. It was that some of the facilities didn’t work well. For example, shower in my room was looked a little old, and dial to adjust temperature of water was broken. In addition, television in my room also didn’t show any programs, and remote controller was broken. These are not good as a resort hotel, so, it should be improved.
except such problems, I don’t have any complaint about this hotel. Finally, I enjoyed this stay so much. If I got a opportunity to go to Guam, I want to visit there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Akihisa K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
Hotel Nikko Guam
#5 of 20 in Tumon
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort
Dusit Thani Guam Resort

Been to Onward Beach Resort? Share your experiences!