“Great staff, mildew scent needs to be gone!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Onward Beach Resort

Onward Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tamuning
Chula Vista, California
“Great staff, mildew scent needs to be gone!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

This was my second trip to Guam, I came as a teen for a couple of weeks. I wanted to introduce my husband to the Island and family. We had a great experience regarding the staff, all of whom were fabulous, from the Concierge to the employees in "My Mart". The security, Rey, who brought his boom box at 5:30- close at the pool, rocks! The ladies who tended our room were also sweet. Our only (just one) concern was the overall scent that pervaded the hotel. It was a slight scent of mildew. Marilyn was very accomodating when we first arrived. We stayed at a different Hotel our first night, and had to get out of there!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

First of all we chose this hotel because they had a great deal on the room rates. The price was not bad for a 2 night stay. Upon check in the front desk was really courteous. Till we went up to the room... The room felt dark and dingy. It was so dull. The carpets and furniture need some shampooing and the vents need to be cleaned. The beds were so uncomfortable and the bathroom could use more light. The only thing that was upgraded was the television. The location and amenities are ok. But the food prices were steep. All in all the stay was just ok for us. But can you please just take the time to put a little paint on the walls new drapes and clean the furniture and air vents. Some one can catch a cold in that room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

We just got back from the Onward, celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary, and by and large had a wonderful time. It's not the most exciting place to stay - the resort is some distance from the other amenities on the island, and unless you've rented a car, you're going to have to fork out a bit on taxi fares. If, on the other hand, like me, you're perfectly happy splashing about in a pool and taking it easy, this place is great. I despise shopping, so the fact that this place is out of the way is a boon for me, but you can get a free ride to the DFS if you're that way inclined, or Japanese.

The fly in the ointment was the shop next to the water park. We bought my daughter a pair of goggles there, and they broke before ten minutes was up. They didn't even get wet. Naturally, I took them back and got a replacement pair, but the shrewish japanese manageress refused to return my receipt. Meaning if the replacement set were to also break- as I had every reason to expect them to - I'd have no way to prove when and where I'd bought them. She even tried pinning the blame on my young daughter for her shoddy merchandise. I had to make a complaint at the front desk before I could get any satisfaction.

My advice to you is this: go to the Onward, enjoy the food, the spectacular views, the water park and the exemplary professionalism of the reception staff. But don't set foot in the shop next to the water park, unless it's to tell the lipless crone I sent you. Certainly don't spend a dime there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank IanDuncanTokyo
McMinnville, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

I was in Guam for business. Seems it was summer vacation in Japan and there was a military exercise going on also. This was the only hotel with availability. I stayed in the wing not the newer tower. The hotel is in very poor condition. Everything is old, run down, abused, and neglected. The beds were hard and sagged. They did a very poor job cleaning the room. The rooms have air conditioning but you can't control the temperature only the fan speed. There is a fitness center but the two treadmills they had were broken. They have free internet but you have to have a cable. I got some tickets for 50% off breakfast but it wasn't really worth the $8.50. I can't speak to the waterpark here. I didn't go. Some of the locals said they will come here and spend the night just for the waterpark. The restaurants have no selection and are overpriced. There is no room service. I walked down the beach a couple of times to have dinner at the hotel next door. Oh and everything is in Japanese first with English in smaller print. So yes this hotel caters to the Japanese..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Andreastravels
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

This Japanese-owned property caters to Japanese families with young kids who travel as part of a tour package. We did see one or two non-Japanese families but those were rare sightings. As I speak Japanese and have a 10-year-old son this was a fine place for an active kid who likes the water. The attached water park is free for guests (except for $10/day boogie board rentals) and there are jet skis, banana boats and other items available for rental.

The hotel has no real beach for sunbathing -- just a sliver of sand to launch those noisy jet skis.

Breakfast is included in the package. It's buffet style and about what you would expect for a hotel serving hundreds of guests daily. The other restaurants are average but over-priced. For a taste of local food, walk two doors away to Shirley's -- a local institution which is sort of like a Denny's.

The staff is friendly if not always helpful. A query to the front desk to book a WW2-themed day tour resulted in bafflement more appropriate to someone asking about Martian invasion sites on the island. Again, for 99.9% of the guests their tour operator through which they booked the package would take care of any additional sight-seeing.

• Liked — Water park
  • Disliked — Package tour mentality
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank 7J1AIL
guam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

This was a huge disappointment. I took my daughters there for a summer getaway before school starts. They thought the water park was going to be a lot bigger than it was. I was a bit surprised at the lack of lifeguards. I think I saw two...the whole time. We went to the beach to go snorkling and to our surprise found that the onwards snorkling experience is horrible. I'm not sure why their water is so dirty (maybe because of the constant jetski's?) we couldn't see much through the murky water and NEVER saw a fish. I have been to many beaches on Guam and this surprised me because of Guams spectacular fish. Wow, not one. The beds in the rooms were HORRIBLE, I honestly pulled my blanket onto the floor and slept on the floor after about 4am. wow...what a waste of money.

• Disliked — room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank guamtime
Guam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed at the Onward for my son's 9th birthday. The water park wasn't as big as I expected. Within the hour, my husband and I were bored. However, the kids were still very excited and ended up enjoying themselves. After a couple hours, we were ready for dinner and left the park. We had ice cream at the shop outside of the water park which was good. Their crepes were quite yummy. The soda's were over priced at $2.50 a can. The server advised us to go the shop in the hotel for $.75 sodas. We appreciated the gesture but my son's friend was thirsty.

The room was very spacious and we had a balcony. The bathrooms weren't very impressive as was the lobby. The next day, we found a play room with ping pong tables, pool and video games. We all enjoyed an hour in here. We opted to stay at the hotel pool instead of going to the water park again. For breakfast, we ate at their restaurant buffet which was good.

Another thing that I frowned on was there weren't any room service.

Overall, the stay wasn't too bad, I just expected a lot more. The kids will definately enjoy.

• Liked — The large room
  • Disliked — The let down water park
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort
#5 of 20 in Tumon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,128 reviews
The Westin Resort Guam
Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort

Been to Onward Beach Resort? Share your experiences!