“Ghost Town”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Tamuning
Seoul, South Korea
“Ghost Town”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This place is old beds are terrible, like a king size bed is just 2 double beds pushed together, back ache, fell through middle many times. Do not disturb sign must mean welcome come into my room please, houskeeping was in my room after returning from a small pool they have and cleaning staff acted strange as if I was in their room or disturbing them, weird feeling or scammers caught before hand. All four nights we had no hot water boiler was not working they said, requested a room ocean front view but was stuck
in a room with the smallest balcony with dirty falling apart paint chips that
cut our feet, had to lay towels on it to stand outside, but it was to small to sit
on. The hotel had only 4 or so other guests staying their so why give a family of 3 the worst room. Jimmy Dee's bar is gang related scam activity with drunken USA owners acting stupid and driving drunk after bar closes, tried to get them a taxi but they turned angry and so we left and will never return, at night time the beach is not safe drunken thugs all over....

worst small balcony, unacceptable customer service as acting busy when your not and a don't care attitude is a waste of my families money. Dollar car rental in Tamuning scammed us also by charging us 450 for a door ding that did not even have dent about the size of a finger nail, had best insurance they offer 30 a day but it would not cover the door ding, never go to Dollar car rental in Guam, etc...

Room Tip: Saving money on a room is not worth putting your life in danger...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a great hotel for families and business travelers alike with a very friendly staff. The hotel is in a great location, a short drive from the all of the major sites and right on the beach with a calm bay of blue water to swim, snorkel, paddle or jetski around in. The swimming pool was closed when I was there as there was a lot of stormy weather. (not typical) I enjoyed the beachfront restaurant and walking on the mostly empty beach. Fortunately there was free wifi which I used extensively for Skype as my cell phone didn't work as I expected it would. My room was generally clean but a little worn (carpet mostly) which common in hot, humid, tropical climates.

Room Tip: I would go with the ocean view. It was worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Capers Bend
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I chose this hotel because of my 3 AM airport arrival, its proximity to the dive shop I was using and for the price. I was a bit alarmed when I arrived around 4 AM and the clerk asked if I had just made the reservation the same day through a travel website like Expedia, when I had made it through the hotel website directly over a month ago. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had the printout of the hand-typed confirmation e-mail I had received from one of the hotel managers when I made my reservation. Anyway, check-in came within a few minutes and I had a fifth-floor room with a view of the lagoon, perhaps because I was staying for 7 nights. It's not a luxurious hotel, and sure, there may be a few stains on the carpet, but I didn't experience any serious cleanliness problems like roaches in the bathtub or overpowering mold. The keys were electronic cards, which was more than I expected for a non-chain, independent hotel with a few years on it. For Guam, the price is hard to beat. The lagoon in front of the hotel has a lot of jetski activity and is not really good for snorkeling or swimming as it's very shallow with few fish, but it is quite clean and I did do a bit of swimming when the jetskis had been towed in for the evening one day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveler M
San Francisco
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our experience was 100% opposite to most reviewers. We took a taxi from the airport after I called them from home and they told me that taxi is about $15. Yes it was $16.50. Front desk girl was nice. Our room was supposed to be an ocean front room. It was more like Palm Tree Front room. It was on third floor and unless you are on 5th floor all you see from your room are the palm trees. The beach was right in front and it was clean. However it was the night of Typhoon Francisco and we could not go to the beach. Yes the hotel is old and yes it can’t be called a resort by any means. It is more like a Motel 6 or Howard Johnson on the beach. But it is clean and almost everything works. One odd thing was the fact that there was a coffee maker, cups, and microwave oven but no coffee, sugar, etc. at all. Internet was extremely slow to the point of non usable. Next day the airport was closed and United put us up in the Ramada which is a much better hotel where the internet actually worked and the restaurant there is simply fabulous. Cheap and delicious food. But Ramada is not on the beach. So, it is your pick. We went to Shirley’s Café for dinner. It was one of the five worst meals I ever had in my life and as I am typing I still feel like throwing up thinking about the disgusting food although it was more than 5 days ago. But that will be in a different review.

Room Tip: Higher than 3rd floor, Ocean Facing rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Purobi
Maryland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Well for starters this hotel looked like it was about 50 years old and was in terrible shape. I got to Guam and checked into the hotel, at first site I was not impressed. I got my key and went to my room to drop off my luggage. As I started to leave I could not close my door. I tried numerous times to close it until I realized the screws had come out of the side of the door handle. The handle had been broken before because I could see where it was jerry-rigged once before. Well I informed the front desk and the maintenance man came to the room. He used a couple of pieces of rubber to try and make the screws stay in the door. He said it would hold until the next day when the day shift would come and repair. I wasn't really impressed and ended up locking my stuff in my car rental for the day and my buddy and I went to tour the island. I figured while I was gone it would get repaired.

Upon my return that night I went to my room, I checked the door handle, and it was not repaired. I again notify the front desk and the guy from the night before came with a super long screw and "repaired" the door. Well after all this I noticed they did not replenish my towels. I informed the front desk and after waiting for 2 hours I finally got my towels. I went to put them on the towel rack, as soon as I did the towel rack falls to the floor. I swore I was being Punk'd or was the new star of a National Lampoons movie. This was my worse hotel experience by far and I'm a seasoned traveler. I tried for hours on end to find another hotel but they were all booked on the island and I was stuck in this hell hole. Please do not stay in this hotel if you visit Guam.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel!!!!! Go somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank rsp626

Travelers are raving about these Tamuning hotels

Arizona
Reviewed August 13, 2013

For the money I think is a decent deal. We had room 415 which had a partial ocean view and was a nice room. We had an issue and were transferred to another room 523 which was very, very nice and full ocean front. I would say if you have to pay for the breakfast skip it .....its not very good and Shirley's is next door.....we had the breakfast both days at the hotel as we bought it with the room. The rooms are a little dated but compared to other pricey hotels this was a good deal. The free wi-fi worked well for the most part. The management was helpful and when the issue came up moved us quickly and were very attentive. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: 415 and 523
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UKVISIT
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I wish I knew of a budget hotel to recommend on Guam that met the most basic criteria. As other reviewers noted that is a challenge and the island's climate is not kind on infrastructure.

Yes, the Sante Fe is inexpensive (compared to the resort hotels) but my room was had a broken bedside lamp, the bathroom emitted a variety of odors (plus gobs of hair in the sink drain) and the interior of the property has an uninspiring and cheap look once you get out of the lobby.

While the sluggish wi-fi internet is free, the high speed ethernet connection costs $10 per day.

Front desk staff is friendly and quickly addressed concerns brought to their attention.

Perhaps the best (and only) reason to stay here is to walk to breakfast at Shirley's next door.

Room Tip: Make sure not to end up in a room with a view of Shirley's restaurant parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank 7J1AIL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamuning
Hilton Guam Resort & Spa
Wyndham Garden Guam
Wyndham Garden Guam
#4 of 11 in Tamuning
Holiday Resort & Spa Guam

Been to Hotel Santa Fe Guam? Share your experiences!