“Great little restaurant.”

Dining options: Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great little restaurant.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We go to Auntie Pasto's in Kunia (Waipahu) very often. Their pizzas and appetizers are great, their Mac N Cheese is amazing, and we like most of their other menu items as well. Some months they have a featured monthly menu with special items. Friendly staff as well.

Northern California
“I wanted to like it, I really did”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was on the island for a month and drove by the Auntie Pasto's in Honolulu every day. I did a search online and found the one in Waipahu and noticed they had a gluten free menu. Since my daughter suffers from Celiac Disease, I was thrilled to find such a large selection of gluten free choices. I signed up for some local deals and bought a pizza and soda deal for $8. We were staying in Waikiki so we took the drive to this location to use our coupon and eat what I thought was going to be some awesome Italian food. We arrived on a Friday night and had about a 45 minute wait. Although waiting is a pain, a wait must be a good thing and mean the restaurant is worth it, right? The restaurant is cozy, a real mom and pop type of place with great service. We used our coupon for a 12" pizza and a pitcher of soda. Well come to find out, the pitcher of soda was actually two glasses. This was after we had ordered a soda and iced tea only to find out the iced tea didn't count so we ended up having to pay separate for that. Whatever. We started our meal with the fried calamari. It was a decent portion, but it lacked something, oh yeah, flavor. It was lightly breaded but had no flavor at all. Oh well on to our entree. We chose the 12" pizza (hand tossed) which was basically personal sized and the veal scaloppini. The food was delivered quickly and was hot. Now for the bad part. The pizza's taste was good, but it was gray in color and sort of floppy. It was the most unappealing pizza I have seen in a while. I can't quite explain it. I thought it was maybe just mine, but I spied the pie on the table across from me and it was the same. I asked the waiter about it and he said it is the dough they use and that was how they all looked. Now for the disappointing $22 scaloppini. It was on a plate of angel hair and did not look like a $22 dish should look. It was also loaded (and I mean loaded) with onion. I am Italian and have cooked a lot of scaloppini in my day. I have never put onion in it or seen it with a load of white onion. The flavor of the onion overpowered the capers and sauce. Disappointed, I think so. They did have cannoli on the dessert menu, but honestly, after the caliber of the meal, I was afraid to order the cannoli. I will say, I saw a lot of pasta dishes go by and they looked huge and good. They were nicely presented and very reasonably priced. Although we didn't have the pasta, I wish we had. I would have gladly wasted my coupon and just gone for a pasta dish had I known. The veal was absolutely, hands down, not worth $22. I saw the pasta dishes going by so when the veal came thrown on a plate that was too small for the amount of food, it was a big shock. I gave this restaurant an average rating because the pasta dishes looked good and seemed to be large portions. If it weren't for the pasta looking good, I would have rated it poor. Although I go to Oahu several times per year, I don't think I will drive back to Waipahu for Auntie Pasto's. Like I said, I really wanted to like this place. It has the markings of a great local Italian place but lacks the flavor to rise to the occasion. Oh to top it off, my daughter with Celiac Diseas and the one who needs the gluten free menu wasn't even with us. Can't rate the quality of their gluten free selections.

• Visited August 2012
“Casual and good”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Casual. Kid friendly. Can be noisy. Huge portions. We always have 'take homes' leftover. 2 for $28 between 4 and 5:30. One shared appetizer...one entree EACH for the 2 guests...one dessert to share (excellent cheesecake.) Ham and pea pizza (I know, I know...sounds awful) is one of my favorites. Jug wine available as well as 'better' wines and byob is OK with no corkage. We go at least 3 times a month (it's close to where we live....about 10 minute drive.)
Ask for server: Eileen. She won't disappoint.

• Visited June 2012
Aurora, Colorado
“Excellent Italian for a remarkable price on Oahu.”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

A bit of a drive from Honoloulu but well worth the price. Everything we had was outstanding. The red pepper calamari was to die for. The combination of calamari, pepperocinis, and mozzarella was an explosion of flaveors. The roasted garlic was fantastic. We also do not need to worry about vampires for the rest of the week. We have been frequenting the location in Honolulu for many years but never knew about this location just off the H1. It is in a strip mall so the ambience is almost like a store but the entire place is very clean. You cannot beat the price for the quality and quantity of food. We are here for another six days and are sure to go back to sample more items from the menu.

1 Thank Scott D
Stillwater, MN
“Fun place to take a family”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were visiting family and they took us to Auntie Pasto's, we were pleasantly surprised. The 3 little ones love the pizza. We had the Mahi-Mahi and the eggplant with gorgonzola cheese, both very good. We had a bottle of the Angeline Pinot Noir which was quite good, something we totally did not expect when we entered the place!! The bottles were 1/2 off that night!!! The atmosphere was noisy, but there were a lot of families with small children, so it was to be expected. Service was very good, the kid's meals came out in record time, which is a must when eating with little ones. Definitely go back again

• Visited May 2012