“First time eating here”

Big City Diner-Waipio
Ranked #8 of 147 Restaurants in Waipahu
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I treated my childhood friend to lunch and she picked this place. I had never heard of it before this...at the door we were greeted and seated quickly. The place was busy with weekday lunch crowd and we sat indoors as it had been raining off and on all morning. Our waitress was fantastic; friendly and so helpful, made us feel really welcomed. I ordered the Clam Chowder but was very disappointed, it was so very thin and yellow! I'm no expert but I've been living here north of Boston for 25 years and I know that good clam chowder isn't yellow in color. Yellow means too much BUTTER! Also, thinness means not enough CREAM! And its CLAM CHOWDER, where are the clams????? Auwe!!!!

For my meal I ordered the Paniolo Chicken Salad with homemade salsa and it was very good, tasty, fresh and the serving was huge! We finished our meal with dessert. My friend had the Sundae and I had the Bread Pudding with Haupia sauce and that was perfect! Sorry, I would have given a better rating if it weren't for the Clam Chowder.

2  Thank Lovena H

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Tried to get in with a large group on the night before the fourth of July at nine pm. The place wasn't crowded at all, but we were told by the manager Kim that they close at 10 pm and that it would be "close" whatever that means. So one of our moms mentioned Zippy's and the "not so skinny" manager requested a piece of chicken. Our kids were looking forward to eating there, but I guess they would have to miss out on their favorite fried rice. I am truly dissappointed because another of our parents called the restaurant later and got a totally different story from her. On the website it says that last seating is at ten o'clock. I can't believe we were turned away at nine. I have a video of her "welcoming and waiting" for our group from the other end of the bar. Kim really ruined the evening for a lot of young girls who only minutes before played a great game of softball. I have been there before and liked the service, I just think Kim needs to improve

6  Thank 86BruddaB
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stay home, save your money.
The nasty breakfast specials are expensive and tasteless. A thin small overcooked porkchop resting on a tiny dried out buscuit then drowned on brown gravy is not worth $10. My companion's meal was unremarkable too.

2  Thank leelaurie1
Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

If you don't mind a loud dining experience then this will exceed your expectations. You can sit at the bar or wait to be seated inside or out. We chose inside. The kitchen was open to the dining room. I wasn't expecting much as in the quality of the food but you felt welcome when you came in and the menu was inviting. I ordered the really loco moco. This local dish was almost perfect. I ordered an over easy egg and got an over medium. Not that big of a deal when everything else on the plate was exceptional. It's not 5 star as in 5 course sit down but when it comes to diner food it ranks at the top of my list. I will be hitting this place back up when I visit Hawaii again. Hope you check it out too!

1  Thank Garypaul1256
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We went there for lunch and it wasn't busy at all. My fiance ordered a sandwich combo and I ordered the nachos since the portion is big. The portions are I think were the only thing that was good about that place. When our food came his was fine, but my nachos were cold and the chips were kinda stale. On top of that the drinks we ordered were pretty much juice and soda and it came with some kind of black crap floating at the bottom. Through out our whole time there, our waitress barely came by to check up on us, even to drop off and pick up our check when we were done took forever. Sad to say we would not be coming back to this location any time soon...

2  Thank LilBnySs