“Great local food experience”
Review of Highway Inn

Highway Inn
Ranked #3 of 147 Restaurants in Waipahu
Cuisines: American, Diner, Hawaiian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: The Original Highway Inn, founded in 1947, Family Owned and Operated for 3 generations. Serving Local, Hawaiian and American Foods 7 days a week.
Honolulu
“Great local food experience”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Highway Inn is always a family favorite for us, this time was no different . Mom and I and many of my family love eating here. They have a wide variety off local HAwaiian food that is oh so ono and delicious.

It's a small casual dine in restaurant with a very friendly staff!! There may be a wait as it is a
Very popular eating place for locals and visitors alike. It is however in my opinion well worth the wait. They offer breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. Burgers, pancakes , Kailua pig, beef stew, poke, Paula's, pipikaula, Haupia and more!!! Not much of a dessert selection, but that doesn't stop the crowd from coming here again And again!

They now also just opened a new location in Kakaako so go to whichever location .... But it's a must try eatery, so put them on your list as. Place to go to while in Hawaii for All you tourists, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Visited November 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Great food”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had the Beef Stew at Highway Inn. Food was awesome. If could have gotten the recipe I would have. It comes with rice and we had a side salad that was very good too. Small restaurant, very good food and service.

• Visited June 2013
Franklin, NC
“Doesn't Get Any Better”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you are in Oahu, you MUST visit The Highway Inn. Authentic Hawaiian food at it's very best! The food is delicious and adventurous and the price point is reasonable. Staff is friendly and the people are what makes this restaurant so great!

We had a party of 8 so we waited about ten minutes to be seated - they were super busy! Once seated, our male waiter promptly served us and then their hostess came to our table and gave out a menu with pictures and descriptions for those not familiar with Hawaiian food. Heck, I wish they did this at all restaurants! She took some time explaining all of the options, then we ordered. Wow.....amazing! Everything has great flavor.

I would recommend anything on the menu to try. You are in Hawaii! Try the local food. You won't be disappointed. If you eat the poi, use it to cut the saltiness of the meat or some people add sugar. My husband loves it. I'm not a huge fan, but I did try it!

I think the best thing about this restaurant however were the people. We met lovely local folk and the wait staff was so friendly. It's clear they enjoyed being there. It's the type of welcome we don't get often on the mainland.

• Visited July 2013
“Local food is an acquired taste”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Our friend who was born and raised on Oahu took us to the Highway Inn because he wanted us to taste the best local food around! While our friend and my husband ate everything on their plates I was not a fan. The pork and the coconut jello were ok but everything else either smelled funny or tasted really bad. I left hungrier then when we went In. I mean no disrespect and I may be the one strange person who was disgusted but I warn people be ware!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Travelbaby23
Russell R, Manager at Highway Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
We are sorry you did not like the Hawaiian Food which has sustained the locals for a few hundred years. This is why we also offer American food options - Hamburgers, Quesedillas, Pork Chops etc. We wondered why if you gave great 5* reviews for service & value and 3* for atmosphere, and a 1* for food - how did we get a 1* 'Terrible' rating overall?
Illinois
“Great place to experience Hawaiian cuisine!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I was told about Highway Inn from so many different locals that I couldn't wait to try it. Everyone was so friendly. I wanted to get a true taste of Hawaiian cuisine and they even brought little samples so I didn't have to order the entire amount. My all time favorite was the poke sample platter and some kind of ground up squid. Of course you can't beat their pork either. Anyway a must do if you like trying local cuisine.

• Visited July 2013