“Best Japanese Food on the Island”
Review of Kunio Restaurant

Kunio Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 148 Restaurants in Waipahu
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I was born and raised in Honolulu. We visit the Islands at least once a year. Kunio's is always on my list of food have-to's while I am there. This year I took my husband (haole boy) and my sister there for lunch. This is a restaurant that delivers - consistently excellent food. We started withe a California roll and then each had a combo meal. I had the shrimp tempura and butterfish. This is only tempura that can rival my Japanese step mother's. Big shrimp - not greasy at all. Expect to pay $20 for lunch, but as far as I am concerned, this is worth it. If you find yourself shopping at Waikele or if you are staying in Ko'Olina, take advantage of an oriental culinary opportunity.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Used to live in the area, and this was the only Japanese restaurant in the vicinity that has always been jampacked with people during lunch and dinner. The food is always good, the service is always good, and the lowlight setting is perfect for dinner or lunch get togethers.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

The best nabeyaki udon on the island!

2  Thank Yodiebodie
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Waipahu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 23, 2009

really good sushi, but kinda pricey

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Kunio's was recommended by our valet parker at the Ko Olina Beach Club and he was not wrong. We went for lunch and thought we found a great little quiet place. Went back for dinner and discovered that locals have this as a favorite place for them!! There was a continual wait but we found two seats at the bar.

Absolutely friendly staff and great food, reasonably priced. The sushi and combination meals were very good. Staff explained all choices and do a good job with recommendations. Restuarant is located in a strip mall and interior is simple but clean. Was our favorite place!