“Tour a little too long”

and up
Aloha Plate Food Tour
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Waipahu
More attraction details
Owner description: A sugar cane plantation village with 30 homes open to the public for viewing.
Mississauga, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tour a little too long”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a collection of buildings from different time periods. Interesting but the tour takes too long considering the size if the complex.

• Polish first
Tn
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't miss it”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Excellent personalized visit that explains a lot of Hawaiian history in a credible way. Our native guide had a great knowledge of the customs of the time including the vegetation in the area and the various immigrants groups from Hawaiian past, very interesting for adults.

Visited September 2013
Catonsville, Maryland, United States
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Fascinating place full of artifacts and buildings replicated from the sugar and pineapple plantation era in Hawaii”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

WOW! After meeting someone whose parents emigrated from the Philippines to work on the plantations in Hawaii and reading the book 'Honolulu' (about a Korean girl who came as a 'picture bride' to marry a Korean man and her experiences on the plantations,) I was anxious to learn more about life during this time in Hawaii's history. At this museum of sorts, you will be led on a tour through typical houses fully furnished as they would be then. Our guide did an excellent job telling us all about the different Asian (as well as Portuguese and Puerto Rica) immigrants. If anything, she talked too long. That was my only issue. She had lots of knowledge, but I think the tour could run a little faster. Be prepared for hot weather. Dress for the heat and bring water. We took our 9 and 10 year olds - they enjoyed it, but were getting very antsy by the end. So was I! I highly recommend the book 'Honolulu' if you have an interest in this topic. The author is Alan Brennert.

Visited July 2013
Kaneohe
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Cultural Tour”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Hawaii Plantation Village in Waipahu provide an excellent overview of the plantation life in Hawaii when sugar cane was king. One can view what the homes of various ethnic groups looked like during the early 1900's.

dprtree
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Know what you are getting into...”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I can not recommend this place. I had been looking forward to going to the Hawaiian Plantation Village since we got here a year ago and hoped to go back with family when they visited from the mainland. Not only will I not be going back, but I can’t recommend it and will redirect whoever I can to a better, friendly and more knowledgeable place to learn about Hawaiian history and the immigrants…like the Bishop for instance. I love learning about the Hawaiian history and in this case…the immigrant’s history. My son loves to experience new things and learn as much as he can about the places he lives in. The tour started 16 minutes late and that was ok. Normally that is a sign that the tour guide takes their time, answers questions and cares about the visitors. That wasn’t the case here. The tour guide seemed to be nice and offered to answer questions. However, if he didn’t like your question then he was rude and/or just made you out to look like an idiot for asking. For instance, on a fluke I asked him if it was true about ghost being there and he informed me that he didn’t give ghost tours. I DIDN’T ASK THAT!!! I asked if it was true. .OK, so he didn’t want to answer that. I asked him a question about the outdoor oven and he ignored me. I asked him quite few other little questions and he said it wasn’t part of the tour. But if something is in the house, on the property, etc. and you want to know about it…isn’t that in the tour? I’m just curious and trying to learn. Why have the items there then? Equal with my son…it is even more rude to ignore the question of a child…they are trying learn! It is people like this rude tour guide that make children not want to ask questions and learn. Due to how my son was being treated he became visibility bored. I did feel badly about that and he even yawned at one point, but after being treated so poorly and rudely by the tour guide he was just trying to exist for the rest of the tour for my sake. In the end, I braved asking another question after taking a final picture as were a few others. The tour guide informed me he already said it when I was “over there”. That was uncalled for and there was no reason to be a jerk other than he didn’t want to repeat himself again. I cut my losses and we left the tour after he said that. If you tell people they can ask you questions then you should answer them to the best of your ability…not ignore them, be rude or make them look like an idiot for asking, etc. If you don’t want to do your job, then say so. And heaven forbid if you have to make the tour guide repeat themselves!!! Buildings were being locked up as we past each one since they were closing. We paid money to go in there and deserved a good tour just like the one before us. The tour guide rushed when it suited him and slowed down when it suited him. If you don’t want people taking time out for pictures then you say so. If your tour guides don’t really want people asking questions then you need to let them know. But the most important thing is…let people know that the tour guide loves to be rude when they have to repeat themselves.
For the site itself: If you are strictly from the city and have not ever experienced or been exposed to anything in the country EVER…then go…you may learn something. Just be careful and pre-warned about asking questions or making the tour guide repeat himself. Most of us know that people used to use an outhouse, cook outside or in a summer kitchen…sleep on the floor, etc. If you’ve never been exposed to this then again…go, you may be enlightened. In general, you spend more time learning about the personal experiences of the tour guide than the people that used the homes and other facilities that were relocated there. To me, you can learn more at the Bishop Museum. Likewise, there are similar places to this village on the other islands that will gladly answer your questions and are grateful that you are there.
I am shocked that this place received an award by Tripadvisor. With a tour guide like we had perhaps they feel they no longer need to impress anyone. My guess is that they don’t really want any business or people to visit. I felt like I was totally bothering this tour guide for even being there.
The only plus I can give this place is that the ladies in the office were nice and the lady locking up the buildings behind us was very nice. That’s it!
Take a look at my pics and pics of others and you've practically been there. You are not missing anything!

Visited July 2013