“It's not a hotel or a resort - it's upscale camping on a great beach!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Bellows Air Force Station
Reviewed May 30, 2010

For what this is, I love it ... lots of space inside and out. Relatively quiet unless you get rude neighbors. LOVE the sound of waking up to hearing the ocean crashing on the rocks. No smoking in the cabins or within 50 feet of any building on base...a huge benefit for us non-smokers!

Don't think of this as a cheap hotel...think of it with camping with "luxuries" like high-speed internet, running water, a safe, and best of all, a real kitchen (full size refrig, plus range/oven, micro and coffeemaker).

It can be hit or miss with the front office staff. One lady in particular is not friendly but we didn't have to talk to her this time. Last time, we had to deal with her a few times and it was always unpleasant, to the point of being comical.

We had a "renovated" cabin but nevertheless the frig was rusted, one of the windows wouldn't close (ground level, a little disconcerting), and the beds aren't comfortable. The internet connection can be a bit sporadic (though it is high-speed, fortunately).

Bugs WILL come into your room. Don't leave any food out...bring some Ziploc bags and/or plastic containers and/or put everything in the frig. We even put a bag in the freezer to use for trash. Once I managed to leave one grain of rice in the sink after washing dishes, and it attracted lots of little bugs overnight.

All that said, this is one of my favorite vacation spots.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank aloha-mikala
There are newer reviews for Bellows Air Force Station

Reviewed May 13, 2010

The cabins are run-down little shacks that aren't very comfortable even for government property. But that's okay. I could get over that. The staff at the hotel is absolutely atrocious. I really don't see how they haven't been fired yet. Rude and incompetent, I think they themselves would rather you not stay there. The reservations staff is the epitome of ill-mannered. I stayed there once before, and had a bad experience with them, but I decided the beach is worth giving them a second chance. I tried several times to call them on the phone, and sat on hold for over an hour each time before giving up. I drove to the reservations office myself one afternoon, and the woman at the front desk gave me a curt "no" before I even finished giving her the dates I wanted to reserve my room. I will guarantee that if I go over there myself during that weekend, I'll see tons of open cabins and campsites.

The beach is beautiful and well-maintained, however. I would recommend that part of it. Just don't talk to anybody who works there, especially the ladies at the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank kbai
Reviewed April 17, 2010

First off let me say that Bellows Beach is one of the most beautiful areas in Hawaii and its a wonderful place to spend a day, just don't make the mistake of staying in one of their so call renovated beach cabins unless you enjoy insects and end up getting bitten by one of Hawaii's notorious tropical Centipede's (which I did). Our cabin and the one next to us was infested with newly hatched baby Centiped's which pack a bite 3 times as painful as a wasp, and when I showed the cleaning lady the next morning one of them she said I was lucky that they were just baby's that bit me, she then took us outside the front of our cabin where she lifted up a couple flat piece of stone and underneath one of them was a full grown one that was about 8" long and as round as my little finger (If you want To look at one do a web search by typing in Hawaii's Centiped's), that was enough for us and the people next door to see because we both ended up getting our money back and luckly found rooms at the Hale Koa for the remainder of our vacations.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank DroopyDrawers1
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This was our fourth year in a row at Bellows. It is rustic and accomodations are more like camping than a hotel. If you want top-notch maid service and luxury, this is not the place for you. It is a peaceful, natural environment, centrally located to all of Oahu. That being said: the VALUE can not be beat, staff has always been friendly, and ----the beach is breath-taking and amazing. Never crowded, beautiful scenic views of clear torquoise water surrounded by green mountains. Bikes, chairs, kayaks, etc are all available for small fees. There is a free breakfast every Thursday morning.

This is the windward side of the island so it can be breezy at times....this wind keeps bugs at bay and makes an air conditioner obsolete. Weather in Hawaii is always unpredictable and ever-changing. On occasions when it was too breezy at Bellows, a half hour trip took us to a new weather experience at a different beach.

Cottages are always being renovated. You get what they assign you. However, none is more than twenty steps from the ocean. We have never had an issue with bugs/mice and only have witnessed an occasional friendly gecko.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SunnydaysLewes_DE
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We had been to Bellows three times in the past so we thought we knew what we were getting into. We were expecting it be rustic and small but thought we would go stay there for some of our trip because the beach is so incredible (and it really is in our opinion the best beach). We rented a front row (beach front) renovated cabin. I can not believe that they call this renovated, as it has clearly not been done in many years. It was so bad. The stove was rusted out on front, the main window would not lock (they fixed it but we couldn't open it), we had mice (actually saw them) it was distgusting and we did not eat in the cabin. The family on the other unit (duplex) had mice as well. One day we came back to find the door standing open and housekeeping was across the street cleaning another unit (inside the unit) I had to go find her , she made many excuses and kept apologizing because anyone could have walked in and stole our stuff. It is too bad that they have let these units get to this state. Bellows is a wonderful beach and we will continue to go to Bellows and rent gear from them but we will not stay there again. It looks like there are some new units but you can not request them and I would not risk ruining my vacation and ending up in the "renovated "or the cheaper un-renovated units. We moved to the Hale Koa for the last 5 days of our trip as planned and that was wonderful - we will stay there for the entire time next trip.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank sb61990
Reviewed November 6, 2009

ABSOLUTELY the UNFRIENDLIEST reservation staff on the planet. when you call to inquire about availabilities, the answer is NO, in one second, apparently the are all geniuses and do not even need to look in the computer, HOWEVER, just drive in on ANY night and see the number of empty cabins... incredible. I called to get a cabin, I was told 2 were available for 1 night, I called back 3 minutes later, and was told by a different person that they had NOTHING... sure... 2 people wanted a cabin for 1 night in the previous 3 minutes. I have stayed MANY times over the years, and the front desk people just get worse, called about the ants last visit, was told "we will send someone out" 15 minutes later, someone came and told us "sorry, we can't do anything about it"... too funny, I guess the "staff" at the desk does not know that.... DO NOT waste you time, the most uncomfortable beds ANYWHERE, rude staff, "renovated" what a joke.... nice beach...lol if that is all you care about.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank pjd3559
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Our family of four stayed 5 nights in a renovated front row cabin in August 2009. Pros: price, price, price! incredibly beautiful beach - one of the best on the island, and daily maid service. Cons: no air conditioning, which was fine for the bedroom facing the ocean but a little stuffy in the other bedroom with the smaller window facing the street side. Our cabin was clean and decently maintained. The photo attached to our review shows the view from our deck and living room. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank netta7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimanalo
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Oahu/Kapolei
Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Bellows Air Force Station? Share your experiences!