“Bungalow 318A”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Bellows Air Force Station
Stafford, Virginia
“Bungalow 318A”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Absolutely the best beach on Oahu. Very private during the week and still not overcrowded on the weekends. Family of five stayed in the bungalow and it was a little tight at times but the water views and beach make up for that. I would definately do it again. Usually you would expect to pay $450 a night for this type of location. we stayed 7 days for $505 total.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow on the water if possible so that you can walk out the back door right onto the beach...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Thomas W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Laurel, MD
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been to Bellows Stations many times to use the beach and wanted to stay there. I made a reservation months ago and now have to cancel. I've tried calling multiple times both on weekends and weekdays. The phone just rings and rings. I've written the e-mail POCs listed on their web site twice and received no reply. My next step will be to try what another poster did - contact the base commander. Seriously? I have to do that to simply cancel a reservation and get a deposit refund?

The customer service is awful. If you are running a lodging operations you need to be able to be reached.

The Hale Koa has some downsides but at least you can reach a person. I would never actually stay here for fear they would again take my money, but be unreachable if I needed to cancel or change a reservation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank BikeTraveler22
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My first visit was in 1967 as a military brat living in Hawaii. We usually went for day trips, but sometimes camped as we were on a tight budget. The cabins were rustic, even back then.
I honeymooned there in 1980 and loved the upgrade from camping to cabin.
Brought my kids and extended family a few times since then and stayed in the renovated cabins.
It's been ten years since I visited.

The non-renovated cabins are being torn down. The renovated cabins are wonderful. The condos? Well....not for me. If you want a big flat screen and AC and Wi-fi, an ocean view that includes looking at all the beachfront cabins and a long haul to the beach they might be for you.

Just returned and chose to "downgrade" my condo reservation because I lucked out and there was a cancellation for the cabins. The condos were built due to all of the complaints from the folks who expect the Hale Koa (for half the price) with AC and Wi-FI. You don't need AC on the windward side of the island, the trade winds are always blowing. Wi-Fi is available at the reception area, or use your G network if you have to be connected.

The staff are wonderful. All these complaints about reception services are probably due to the web res system they have that isn't accurate. No availability calendar, so you have to just keep entering dates. I did this for an hour last night and came up with nothing for the rest of this year! They have a screen on their side that shows availability and if you are patient and respectful and courteous when you call them, they will gladly share! This is the frustration that they deal with day in and out. Not their fault. I found that treating them with kindness and being on Hawaiian time was the best approach. If you irritate them, don't expect good service. Most of the staff is local, and let's face it, the military basically owns the islands prime areas.
Go and enjoy Bellows, but don't expect a resort experience.

There is no "maid service" here! Housekeeping supplies you with fresh linens, makes your bed for you and sweeps and mops the floors. Don't expect them to be your maid!

This station is the best place to stay on the island. Best beach, gentle surf, excellent location, near Kaneohe for commissary.
I've stayed at PARC near Wainae, Kaneohe cabins, Hale Koa, Lockwood Hall. I recommend Lockwood for late arrival or early departure from Airport, then stop at NEX and commissary for supplies at Pearl before heading out to Bellows. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Beachfront away from rock wall. Front row if you can get it, but they're all so close and have t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank californiayogini
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I agree with all the positive posts that describe Bellows as the perfect beach location with limited people. I just want to warn folks that cabin 154A is infested with mice. We had about ten mouse sightings in just one evening. Maintenance was very nice and brought us a trap but a mouse snagged the bait and kept trucking. We asked for at least one of our two nights refunded for the mice but was only given half a night's refund.

We'll be back but we'll be staying in the renovated places that are hopefully mice-less. Watching the tv while mice run around on the kitchen counters is less than desirable. However, the beach is so good that we couldn't help but still give this place 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank JLJ5000
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We rented a tent and spent the night camping at Bellows. The beach is beautiful, and it's fun to hunt for crabs once the sun goes down. The camping site has tons of grills for grilling out and comfortable spots for tents. You can rent cabins there, but we heard they were a bit run down. If you walk out to the beach during the day, there's a great chance you'll see giant turtles. An absolute do if you love camping. Note: Flies are bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brittanie G
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Staying in an un-renovated cabin at present. I agree with some of the other posts...If you want to stay at the best beach on Oahu for incredibly reasonable price, and can put up with a few bugs, this is your place. Very basic...maybe about 2 steps up from camping...indoor plumbing, hot water, full kitchen with pots pans utensils and plates. TV with cable and internet (free, many hotels in HI charge for the internet) hook up (not wi fi), free parking (most hotels charge for parking). Had everything we needed, and who stays in your cabin in HI anyway...not much time spent in cabin, so why not go rustic. Note about the staff: I found everyone very friendly (accept for one 'frau' who was cordial, but not overly friendly...she was all business, but not rude). ITT ticket office right there for discounts on local attractions. Scheduled a massage for Sat...all in all, no complaints.

Room Tip: Make reservations long in advance to get renovated front cabin(meaning more than 4 months)...they no...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gnlac130
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Rented beach side cabin...
Scenary: cool temp, nice beach (although very sandy tide...what I mean by that is, if you submerge yourself head to toe, you will having be fun taking a lot of sticky sand out of your hair).
Room: compacted for 6. no wireless...and ants...ants..and more fire ants!
House Service: hit or miss...some cleaners are good and some not...we sprayed two cans of Raid in 4 days due to ant problem...the killed ants were never swept away.
Front Dest: hit or miss. Rude or nice.
Other: good rentals...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank l l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimanalo
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Oahu/Kapolei
Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Bellows Air Force Station? Share your experiences!