“My heart is in Hawaii”

and up
Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Waimanalo
More attraction details
Owner description: Chief's Luau is TripAdvisor's highest rated luau in the state of Hawaii. It is the ultimate authentic, interactive and romantic experience that culminates with a spectacular 10-minute, 8-man fire knife dance. You will feel you were invited to the Chief's backyard. Experience up-close and personal activities with Chief's entire cast, 'imu ceremony and a sumptuous dinner buffet. Stunning ocean-mountain vista, the smallest and most intimate of all luaus on Oahu, located only 25 minutes from Waikiki. Produced by Chief Sielu Avea.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My heart is in Hawaii”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

To Chief Sielu We attended your Luau Feb 24 for my birthday. The Chief of that night and the warriors, ladies and the music men touched my heart in ways I did not expect. I laughed and I cried. Being the only birthday girl of the evening Your Chief invited me up on stage with the people celebrating marriage. Being that I was alone your warrior with Laie boy tattoo on his left shoulder came to stand with me. We danced and he gave me flowers. What a kind and gentle man. I do not know his name but I wish I did. We gave Canadian flag pins to your people and each and everyone we talked too made us feel like family. That is truly a gift. We enjoyed it so much we went back on the 28. You were there that night and we had another amazing time. When you talked about your Mom and Dad my heart hurt because I have recently lost my Mom and Dad and I cried. Your Mom and Dad would be so proud of you. A part of my heart will always remain in Hawaii. You and your Luau family are a large part of that. Please tell Laie Boy and everyone else thank you from the bottom of my heart. If any of you ever plan to come to Ontario Canada, please contact me at this email address and I will doing everything I can to help. I will tell everyone I know going to Hawaii to go your luau. Stay healthy and happy. Best Wishes Darlene

Visited February 2014

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful family experience”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We brought our 3 kids- ages 11,6,and 2. We all had a great time. The dancers were amazing. The chief was wonderful. So entertaining. My 2 YO loved the music. She was able to stand by our table which was in front of stage. Older kids loved the fire dancers. Food not great, but that's not the reason to go! Would definitely recommend!

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Cindy M
Cambridge, Canada
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Fun! Fun! Fun!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Chief’s Luau = FUN! Chief’s Luau has only been around for one year, but in that time, it has been featured on Amazing Race and its popularity continues to grow. It is held at Sea Life Park on the edge of the ocean looking out to Rabbit Island. Upon entry we toured the shark tank and turtle pond (Royal Package). Prior to the show beginning, guests could practice spear throwing, weaving, fire-making, or the hula. The show opened with the unveiling of the pig, cooked umu style – pig placed on hot rocks and covered with leaves for cooking.

While there are no bad seats, sitting front and centre with the royal package is a bonus. (*note - dinner was okay, not great, but then it is really the show that makes any luau). Dinner, served to us (royal pkg.)included purple sweet potato (interesting colour), poi (bland, but that’s normal), taro flour bun (good purple carbo), mixed veggies (including zucchini, onions, and carrots), white fish (not a fish lover any day, but I tried it), chicken on a skewer (ate that), and of course, the pork (had seconds…so good). Server at the table offered to get us drinks and more food (nice touch with royal package) - royal package included 3 drink tickets each.

We were introduced to various cultures/dances from Tahiti, Samoa, New Zealand, and Hawaii. Throughout the show audience participation was encouraged. The culmination included numerous performances using fire-sticks (amazing!). The show was fantastic! Decent food, great humour (from the chief), fun audience interaction, and great showmanship made for a fantastic luau….

The only criticism I would have is that they should offer local beers (i.e. Kona Brewing Co.), not the standard Bud.....

Visited March 2014
1 Thank CinR
Sydney, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“A must to do once!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I had read a number of reviews for Luau's in Hawaii before settling on the Chief's.. So glad we did. We decided to go Royal class and we also chose to pay for return transfers from our hotel. The setting at the Sea Life Park is simply stunning! Although I couldn't imagine what it would be like in bad weather - I'd suggest rebooking to another day if that was the case. The food is Hawaiian - plentiful but not 5 star so don't go expecting anything other than plain (the pork & fish are lovely though). The Chief makes the whole night - he's warm, funny, sings, jokes and tells some heartfelt stories. Note that he's actually Samoan who went to school in Hawaii - but that makes no difference. The Lauau is about all the Pacific islands. It is a great night whether you're 3 or 103.... The Royal package gives you forward seating which I think is a must given you'll probably only do this once, although that's really the only benefit - same food, same show for everyone!
It is certain!y an experience you have to do once - we loved it!!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Nadsy22
West Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most fun in Hawaii”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

After reading many reviews and looking at different options, we settled on Chief's Luau. The reason we chose Chief's show was because of the reviews indicating that this was the most entertaining of the luau's. We could not have made a better decision. Chief himself is a great entertainer, keeping the crowd laughing and engaged. The performances were all top notch and wow, what a visual it all was against the backdrop of the ocean and the night sky. Our bus did not arrive early enough to partake of all the other activities, like learning hulu or weaving, but it was still a great evening. The roasted pork was delicious, but the rest of the food was just so-so. Thankfully though, we got our money's worth from being entertained not only at the show, but during the ride there. Fun, fun, fun!

Visited January 2014