“Great show”

and up
Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Waimanalo
More attraction details
Owner description: Chief's Luau is TripAdvisor's highest rated luau in the state of Hawaii. It is the ultimate authentic, interactive and romantic experience that culminates with a spectacular 10-minute, 8-man fire knife dance. You will feel you were invited to the Chief's backyard. Experience up-close and personal activities with Chief's entire cast, 'imu ceremony and a sumptuous dinner buffet. Stunning ocean-mountain vista, the smallest and most intimate of all luaus on Oahu, located only 25 minutes from Waikiki. Produced by Chief Sielu Avea.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I went to the Cheif's Luau while in Oahu last week and I thought it was well worth the money. The chief is authentic and he leads you with song, humor and dance thru all the Islands. His dancers and singers are really good and entertaining. The food was good also. I got the cheapest seats about $75 and we were happy with them, not too far away and we could see just fine. Actually the more expensive seats were right next to us so really I was happy with the price I paid. I felt it was well worth the money spent and would recommend this as a good event to go to while on vacation there. I would go again!!

1  Thank Sheila70123

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had a really great time here, the Park that it runs out of is very sad, don't bother looking around it, very depressing seeing all these poor animals in their watery pens. Luau was a very entertaining evening. The chief is hilarious and very talented. He kept everyone entertained and laughing, plus he could dance, sing, play guitar and drums, dance with fire sticks AND had a hell of an arm...threw a lit spear right overhead of the audience! Look, food on these things aren't 5 star but if you are coming to one of these things for haute cuisine go elsewhere...it was fine...remember this particular luau has only been up and running for less than a year! It is the EXPERIENCE AND ENTERTAINMENT you are going for, relax and enjoy the show. Well worth it, luau...off the bucket list.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Go to this Luau, you will not be sorry. It was a definite highlight of our family trip. The entertainment is top notch. The dancing was great and the Chief was very comical. I really liked how the Chief got the audience involved, my husband was chosen to be one the the "chiefs", LOL, it was a blast. The Chief paid special recognition to honeymooners and anyone celebrating an anniversary and gave out flowers to those who chose to participate in dancing. We opted for the "royal" package which was great for the view of the stage, but the table service was not so good. Our food was cold by the time we got it. It was tasty, but cold. We went up to the buffet line for 2nds and that food was at least warm. I understand that when you have an event that is outside where it's windy the food tends to get cold fast, but they need to figure something out or have it all buffet style. The only other thing that was kind of lame was that you had to pay $5 to park at Sea Life park. I already paid for the luau, why should I have to pay to park in the middle of nowhere?!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our first visit to the islands. We figured we should attend a luau, of course! I started looking online and found several. We are a couple who likes to be away from crowds. We like to stay in out of the way places. Live and dine with locals. During our stay on O'ahu, this was the only touristy thing we did. But after looking several reviews of several luaus, this one appeared to be the best, so we decided to go for it. It is not as big as some of the others, and that is good. It didn't feel like a couple hundred people. We purchased the Royal tickets. The whole program from the start ran very smoothly. We checked in and got our rist bands. We were escorted through a mini (very mini) tour of Sea Life. Then we received our leis and posed for a picture with the chief. Go ahead and take the picture. You are under no obligation to purchase. Then you are told where you will be seated for the dinner and show. Then you can go off and get a temporary tattoo. Or do some spear throwing. There's a few fun activities to join in on if you desire. Then all are invited to view the ceremonieal unveiling of the pig from the pits. Then all are directed to their tables. The food is not really that great. But from the reviews I knew what to expect, so no big deal. The drinks were not bad. The show is what was supposed to be the attraction. And it was. The chief is very funny. Does a great job. The girls are beautiful. The dancing and acts are top-notch. The finale is great.

I heard from others who visited other luaus that this one is the best. This luau is not even a year old and they have it together. So if you want to go to one, I highly recommend this be it.

2  Thank tampagal
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous location and views. The activities were so so but the staff were friendly. The beers were stale and rooey. The food was awful old salad over cooked pork very salty and watery stale bun etc. the ceremonial unwrapping if the pig was a "highlight". It was totally fake and completely flat!! but they assured us it was going to feed us all. The chiefs stage show was very lame and some of his jokes were in really poor taste. We like comedy but please make it a bit clever. The dancing was ok but was a mix of all the pacific islands not just Hawaiian. They did do a great fire dance which was very good but by then we were totally annoyed with the whole affair. It was definitely not our sort of show but other people there were loving it. Try another luau if you want a more authentic experience and hopefully better food.

1  Thank Sharon G