“One hour tops is all you need everything else will cost you more”

Sea Life Park Hawaii
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Waimanalo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Park, Hawaii's marine life comes alive in a dazzling display that will entertain and delight visitors. Located just 15 miles from Waikiki, on Oahu's beautiful and scenic Makapuu Point, Sea Life Park is a world-class marine attraction perched between the majestic Koolau Mountain Range and breathtaking Makapuu Beach. See dolphins swim, sea lions sing, and penguins perform in this magical place by the sea.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One hour tops is all you need everything else will cost you more”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This place is run down and there is not much sea life to see. Everything fun will cost you extra. If you've ever been to a quality aquarium like in Atlanta, Monterey or Boston you will be sorely disappointed. One hour is plenty to spend here, and way too expensive for that. However the animal encounters, though environmentally incorrect seem to be more worth it although VERY expensive. We did a dolphin encounter for my daughter and she was thrilled. See my review there.

2 Thank travellittleworld

• Korean first
213 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 279 helpful votes
“entertaining few hours”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My favourite part of this attraction was the introduction to the world's only Wolphin (a cross between an orca whale and a dolphin that arose in the 1970s before parks realised you can't always have different species sharing enclosures). Made me chuckle for most of the day! In all seriousness though the park is quite good. They've certainly tried hard to make it interactive with lots of additional 'experiences' you can purchase ranging from shark to dolphin encounters. For those that don't want to fork out the extra money there is still plenty to see and it's a pleasant location to wander around. There were two shows to watch - a sea lion show that was very kitschy but cute for kids and the dolphin show which is always impressive ... that's where you got to see the Wolphin behaving like it's smaller cousin the dolphin. There were a few keeper talks at the penguins, seals and giant turtles and these were given by young teenage volunteers/staff who were not always particularly engaging or knowledgeable. The only thing I found odd was that the little café selling ice creams was closed for lunch break whereas I though that would have been the prime time to be open.

1 Thank Seabird21
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“18th Birthday present - swim with the dolphins”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Celebrating my daughter's 18th in Hawaii i needed to do something she would remember for along time, so I booked her a swim with the dolphins. Sea Life Park itself is not a huge park and doesnt take long to see all the attractions.
But watching the excitement and joy on my daughters face being able to be up close and personal with a dolphin was worth it. She was able to pat, kiss and interact with the Dolphins. The staff where fantastic with the people in the swimming area. Got some great pics and great memories for my daughters 18th birthday.

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun Day at Sea Life Park”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

It has been a few years since I visited Sea Life Park. When my family first arrived on the island, my daughters did the dolphin swim. It was amazing. They kept wanting to go back again when friends visit from the mainland. We went again this past week and it was just as they remembered. The monk seal exhibit was closed, but the shows were fun. They have a great gift shop and an all natural, great tasting (not stick in your teeth) popcorn stand just outside the gift shop. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Seems pricey for the dolphin swim, but you can find discounts online and they have kamaina and military/DoD rates.

Erie, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“No concept of guest experience!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went here so my daughter could swim with the dolphins for her birthday. That was a great experience but beware that they require a paid adult for anyone under 12 so their $185 swim is actually $370. From what I saw, there is no reason the adult can't just be in the pool nearby and not have to pay.

The real issue is their horrible guest experience viewpoint- or lack of guest experience. They only have one main concession stand with burgers, sandwiches etc. The line was out the pavilion. They had two cashiers who kept leaving the register to fill drinks, gather food, etc. so the lines never moved. We waiting over 20 minutes in line and never moved an inch. So we ran up to the little ice creak/snack counter instead just to feed the kids before their swimming adventures. The lady at the snack counter was just plain rude. She was annoyed that she had to help me. They were out of popcorn and the soda was flat with very little ice. We were running out of time so we just grabbed them and bags of chips to eat something.

When we got back from the swimming adventures, it was 3:30 pm. The main concession stand was now closed and the park is open until 5:00 pm. Apparently they had made enough money for the day. There was no way I was going to give the rude lady at the snack counter another penny.

Then we waited over one hour for the photos from the dolphin swim to make it up to the booth to see if we wanted to buy any. And this was only after repeated queries by me as to why our photos were not up yet the group in the pool with us had their photos for over 30 minutes.

The overall rating would be lower, but my daughter had a blast with the dolphin so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

1 Thank ErieFamily