“Kids loved the dolphin encounter”

Sea Life Park Hawaii
Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Waimanalo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Park, Hawaii's marine life comes alive in a dazzling display that will entertain and delight visitors. Located just 15 miles from Waikiki, on Oahu's beautiful and scenic Makapuu Point, Sea Life Park is a world-class marine attraction perched between the majestic Koolau Mountain Range and breathtaking Makapuu Beach. See dolphins swim, sea lions sing, and penguins perform in this magical place by the sea.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The dolphin encounter was free for each of us with our Go Oahu card bonus. My 6 & 9 year old boys loved it!! Kissing, touching, dancing with the dolphin was something they will always remember. We purchased 2 photos $16 each. We found plenty of parking and we thought the food was pretty good. The park itself could use an update and some more attractions but my boys had a great time. Do not plan to spend your entire day here or you will get bored.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)
All reviews
in 56 reviews
in 71 reviews
in 41 reviews

Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I visited Sea Life Park on our first day of our honeymoon amid loved it! Our only complaint was the guy who seemed to be in charge of all the employees/trainers was a total jerk and was chewing out his staff right in front of us and other visitors - totally unprofessional! A few tips that might help for your visit::

1. If you're doing the shark encounter (which you should because it was AWESOME!) buy an underwater DISPOSABLE camera at Walmart or somewhere similar. You can't bring a digital one with you, and they charge an insane $21 for one at the gift shop.

2. Don't waste your money on the dolphin encounter, spend the extra $80+ and actually swim with them. The encounter was pretty cool, but not worth $104.

3. Split your group up when doing dolphin activities so you can take your own photos. The park's photographers take plenty of pics, but expect you to pay almost $50 for three 4x6's.

Overall a pretty neat experience, although some things are overpriced. It's Hawaii though, and if you're staying on Oahu I'd definitely recommend making a stop here!

1  Thank Gronezy20
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A trip to Sea Life Park is worth the time and the money. The park is very well organised from the hotel pick-up to the return drop-off with very good shows and places to walk around. My wife fed the Sea Lions for an extra $10 and said it was a great experience. We also took in the Sea Lion Show, the Dolphin Cove Show, and the Hawaii Ocean Theatre Show which was all dolphins plus a cameo from three Humbouldt penguins who found there way to Hawaii from southern Peru. The food available to buy for lunch ranged from healthy to deadly, but no-one makes you eat 100% fried everything, although a lot of people did!

We would recommend it for a day out.

1  Thank Ian F
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I came here for the Dolphin Encounter, which probably only required a few hours, but my tour made me spend the entire day here. I recognize that this place cites the importance of marine life preservation, but it seems that that is all they focus on. Everyone here puts a lot of effort and work into training the dolphins and sea lions here, but neglect other non-interactive aspects that could make this park much more fun. Perhaps a little movie theater that shows a 30-minute film about marine life would keep interest up for visitors here.

Ultimately, I did enjoy my Dolphin Encounter, and also purchased pictures for them. But once again, I really wish there were more things to do here that would make a full-day spent here more fun.

1  Thank Vivian H