“Underwhelming!”

Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Waimanalo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Park, Hawaii's marine life comes alive in a dazzling display that will entertain and delight visitors. Located just 15 miles from Waikiki, on Oahu's beautiful and scenic Makapuu Point, Sea Life Park is a world-class marine attraction perched between the majestic Koolau Mountain Range and breathtaking Makapuu Beach. See dolphins swim, sea lions sing, and penguins perform in this magical place by the sea.
Victoria, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Underwhelming!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

It's a good thing we had coupons for parking and one free admission, as well as taking advantage of the 1/2 price admission for bringing in empty coke bottles. This is a small park with very average "shows". Iwas embarrassed for the sea lions and the dolphins even refused to perform at one point. If you have small children and can take advantage of discounts it may be worth while. Otherwise, find something else to do.

1 Thank Helen R

• Korean first
Batley, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Must do a Dolphin Adventure to be worthwhile”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Came here as an excursion which we booked from the hotel (appreciate probably not the cheapest place to book, but we needed transport included), and for one admission only with transport and one admission with the middle tier dolphin adventure with transport, it was approx $250 = £170ish

As we were on honeymoon and had dollars which were given as a wedding present, we didn't mind splashing out (pardon the pun) a bit, especially as the wife wanted to swim with a dolphin.

For admission only you can see why reviews are mixed. Personally I thought the dolphin shows were fun and engaging. Although with the sea in the background there is a tinge that animals shouldn't be caged and kept purely for human amusement, in reality they do seem to haev a good life at the park and the way the handlers and all the staff interact and treat the dolphins is excellent, you can tell they really do care about and love the animals. However the shows are only 10 mins long each, and apart from that there is a turtle pool, a sea lion pool and a fish tank of sorts with a couple of small sharks in - is that worth the admission only price.....for me as a one off I didn't mind paying it, especially as my main task of the day was taking pics and vids of everything going on. However for some I can understand and appreciate, especially if a large group or family, that the cost is probably not worth what you get in return compared to other larger sea life parks.

The Wife had a Dolphin adventure, got into a pool with 3 dolphins (there were a group of about 12 people), you got to touch, have a belly swim with, and kiss one of these amazing creatures. Again as a one-off the price is just about worth it and I got loads of free pics and vids, whilst everyone else was in couples or family's and in the pool so had to pay from $16-$50 for theirs!!

Food was over-priced and frankly rubbish, but at least we didn't have to queue.

Glad we did it, wouldn't rush back but would recommend people with some disposable cash to give it a go, but if on a tighter budget there will be better excursions for the money.

hawaii
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nothing like Seaworld”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you've been to Seaworld, there is no comparison. Very small and activities are not as exciting and coordinated as in Seaworld.

1 Thank hawaii2
Connecticut
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“excellent for small children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

we went with my 3 and 7 year old kids; the park is small but big enough for the kids; and the surrounding views are to die for; there is also a playground very clean that my kids greatly enjoyed; definitely worth a stop especially if you have small children

Mesa, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sharks, Dolphins, and Sea Lions... oh my!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is an older and smaller park, but we still had a great time. I swam with the sharks during the Shark Trek Adventure. As sharks are my favorite animal, I was really eager to do this. However, as it got closer to starting, I got extremely apprehensive. You wear a wet suit and a large helmet for breathing. Once I got in, I had the time of my life. Four people and two guides go down at a time. We went all the way down to the bottom of the shark tank and spent about 30 minutes watching the sharks swim by. They do not take pictures for you, but you are allowed to bring a waterproof camera with you. I'm not sure how easy it would be to take pictures with the helmet on, but you are welcome to try it! It was a very memorable experience.

We watched the Dolphin Cove Show and the Hawaiian Ocean Theater Show. The staff introduced penguins, sea lions, and more dolphins at the Theater Show. The sea lions and penguins danced right across the floor at the bottom.

The food was way overpriced, as is most everything in Hawaii. And it wasn't that great. We watched a few groups of people do the dolphin encounters, and they looked really fun. We heard several great comments about the dolphin shows, as well.

1 Thank Janae V