“So not with it”

Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Waimanalo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Park, Hawaii's marine life comes alive in a dazzling display that will entertain and delight visitors. Located just 15 miles from Waikiki, on Oahu's beautiful and scenic Makapuu Point, Sea Life Park is a world-class marine attraction perched between the majestic Koolau Mountain Range and breathtaking Makapuu Beach. See dolphins swim, sea lions sing, and penguins perform in this magical place by the sea.
Honolulu, Hawaii
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“So not with it”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

When I was little that was a treat to get to go there. Now I can't believe what a racket it's become. My girlfriend and I went with 5 kids. Paid to get in and once I got out of the tunnel the money hungryness began. Everything in that park has a fee excluding the shows. Pay to feed seals, pay to play games, pay to go into the sting Ray pond.. I'm surprised there wasn't a charge to get into the playground or a $1 to look. So after paying to enter the park how do you entertain your kids while waiting for the next show to start without spending another $100? Not going back, if I want to keep spending money all day to entertain my kids I'll go to the carnival. Maybe it should be called Sea life Carnival than I'd expect to shell out money to get a ticket at every stop.

1 Thank buckley3

• Korean first
Ankeny, Iowa
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Royal Dolphin Swim - Outstanding Experience Worth the Price”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This 5 star rating is for Dolphin Royal Swim package, which was one of the most memorable events of our Hawaii vacation. The rest of the park is not worth wasting your time – 1 star, which is being generous.

Since we knew we were only going to be visiting Hawaii as a family once, we went ahead and booked the Royal Swim at $250 each for our three teenage children. It was worth every penny! The kids had a blast, and they were in with a group of only 5 others. The absolute highlight was when the dolphins pushed each of them by their feet raising them out of the water – wow! We watched the Dolphin Swim Adventure participants across the pool, and I would definitely recommend paying the extra dollars to upgrade to the Royal Swim.

Waiting around for the photos was a bit of a pain (clearly could have been more efficient), but it was worth the wait. We ended up purchasing 4 photos per child on DVD at a cost of $50 each along with a video of the entire program for $30.

Total cost for the visit was $1155 - parking for $5, 3 Royal Swim admissions for $750, 2 adult admissions for $60, photos and video for $280, lunch for 5 at $60. This was pretty comparable to other half-day excursions that we took part in on the rest of our vacation.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank Dave-in-Iowa
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dolphin Encounter- Recommend this especially for the children”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Overall Sea Life Park is a unique experience that the children will love. We have a 3 year old and did the Dolphin Encounter. The water is above waist high, so we had to hold our 3 year old daughter. But she was mesmerized with the dolphins. Sea Life park is very small, but it is something you can't see just anywhere. And being able to interact with and touch the dolphins is a great experience. After reading other negative reviews, we almost didn't do the dolphin encounter. We have been to Sea Life Park before and knew it was small. Overall it has been the highlight of our daughter's trip, so it was well worth it. Pictures and videos are very expensive. Look for coupons to get free lunch and parking in the booklets. We do recommend the dolphin encounter overall. No--- it isn't as good as our Cancun experience, but it is a good experience overall. Just don't expect a huge Sea World when you go, and you will be happy. I also have to say that they are doing a lot to fix up the park. They are painting, renovating the large fish tank etc. Worth the drive if you have little ones

Visited July 2011
1 Thank MGCharleston
Harpers Ferry, WV
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Sea Lion experience!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I was so excited to go here. They filmed part of 50 First dates here. I signed hubby & myself up to swim with Sea Lions. Everyone else in park wanted to do dolphins so we have a private class just to ourselves. They are super sweet animals & I had a terrific time. The staff was so friendly & sweet to us!

Visited November 2010
2 Thank sephorachick
San Jose, California, USA
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Great dolphin experience”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I am scared of dolphins. BUt this was awesome. It's $100 to kiss and dance with them. The basic package but great for me. I had a $30 off coupon from 7-11 and with this dolphin encounter i got free admission. Since i was there I also did the string ray experience. Super fun for $20 i didnt' knwo i would have to snorkel but I got to pet the string rays. It wasn't as good as the dolphin but it's still new. I think they hoped I would snorkel more, but I hate snorkeling. But if you did like it this would be more awesome. The fishes are all in one area so it's not like the ocean, you'll definately see cool fishes.
In between these encounters, we walked around the park in 20 minutes. Yes it's that small, Anything with a glass tank was lame because the glass was so dirty. But the things that weren't in glass were great. There are a bunch of sea turtles where you could touch btu you're not suppose to. You can feed them too. They had a sea lion encounter which I didn't have time for but was very personal as not as many people did it. Everyone was doing the dolphin experience.
The dolphin pics were super expensive. $16 each for a 5x7. and I had to buy all three because you can't take any pics. But you dont have to buy any either but I wanted all of them. And they were good pics.
I would not pay the $29 to get in. I would do the dolphin experience. with the Go-Oahu card.

Visited May 2011