“On Vacation for the rest of my life”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waianae
Makaha Surfside Condominium
Waianae
“On Vacation for the rest of my life”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I have lived here 7 years. I have been all over this Island and I can not fine a single condo as close to the water and with as much protection for their cars as MSS. Our cars are on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the parking garage. There are issues here as with any condo or town I have ever lived in. I call My home the projects with a 5 million dollar view. One of the least expensive condos with a view like this in Waiane, lots of single moms just trying to get by. Lots of Section 8 folks. If a person does not want to get to know the real people of Waianae I would have to agree with those that have had negative comments about MSS. However; I have been Chief of Security at Makaha Valley Towers, worked in the Psych field for 7 years, supervised 30 to 300 contractors in my own business for 27 years in Virginia Beach Virginia. I would recommend that if you come visit MSS acknowledge everyone with a smile, shaka sign with the fingers and most people will respond in kine. Even the roughest toughest local person I have met in the last 7 years has responded in the same way. My wife Nadine and I are blessed to be holding a bible study under the trees every Sunday from 8 AM till 10 AM and we get to meet all the dog walkers. So if you chose to brave Waianae come visit MSS. I personally believe you will have the best visit you have ever had on the Island of Oahu Hawaii. I might be a little biased, but just a little. Tommy & Nadine PS Drive time to Kolina about 30 minutes. Honolulu 1 hour to 2 hours depending on the time of day. If you love and enjoy driving this is one of the best most enjoyable rides of my life and I have driven across the USA several times. I love the ride, I hope you do too. Nadine and I say to one another "You know what? What? We are in Hawaii and God gets the glory.

Room Tip: 2nd 3rd floors at building 330 to 344 best views. 4th floor even better but no elevator to the penth...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Tommy H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Waianae, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Security is a joke. Drugs are sold here. Kids run around the hallways. The pool is used to baby sit there children. When you call with a problem, the security might get around to checking on it. There are a few good security. You are to have key fob to get in the gate, but that does not matter because they buzz every one in. Even if you have moved out , and just want to visit , heck they will just buzz you in.
The office staff does more baby sitting than any thing. The office is more of a day care center for staff , than a work place. Office staff is all family. It is sad.
The grounds would be better if they were not used as a play ground. In A building they have signs to keep of grass , but NO where else.
...................... IF you don't care , and never going to be home , then stay here.....If you plan to be home , and ok with drugs and kids running around , then this is the place to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
21 Thank Michelle M
Waianae, Hawaii
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Where do I even begin? Security is a joke. Most of the security staff is polite enough. However, they are not here to provide security for us, as evidenced by how many bikes the "bike bandit" was able to steal (among other things), but rather to enforce the pages and pages of random rules. If you are just visiting, you won't have to deal with most of the petty rules, so I'll keep them out of this review. But you do need to know that they are very selective about enforcing them. So just because you see someone else getting away with something (smoking on their balcony, towels over the rails, anything in the pool, etc) doesn't mean you will. And LOCK EVERYTHING. I've never felt unsafe in Waianae (even though I'm a Caucasian from the mainland) but we have had a lot of stuff stolen in the almost 2 years we have lived here.

I was actually surprised to find this listed as a vacation spot. Yes, it is on a (small) beach and it does have 2 pools. If you have the right place, the view is spectacular (that is why we live here!) But a good chunk of the people living here are, um, not who I would want to be around on vacation (especially with children.) There is a lot of cheap pot being smoked here. I know nothing about pot, so I wouldn't believe my husband when he said that's what it was. I seriously thought there was a skunk problem! Turns out, there aren't skunks in Hawaii. Also, there have been numerous "domestic disturbances." As someone else said, you get what you pay for. This is cheap housing and it basically attracts two types of people: really sweet old people on a fixed income and other people who aren't the most socially responsible (sorry - that's the nicest way I can think of to word it.) And yes, there are a lot of high school kids and homeless people who trek back and forth behind the complex but other than the kids being noisy earlier than I would prefer in the morning, they really aren't a problem. The other big issue I would have if I was vacationing here and spending time at the complex is the landscaping. The landscapers need to stay busy to boost their hours, so they will literally go up and down the sidewalk using the leaf blower to blow stuff (nothing visible) off the sidewalk and back on and back off and back on. THEN they will come through with the weed whacker and edge the grass. So, of course, they have to come back with the leaf blower again. Then they will mow the grass. Guess what that means. Yep, leaf blower again. I wish this was just one particularly boring day for them but it's not. It's normal behavior here. They have also been known to trim the same bushes three times in one week (power trimmers, of course) and mow the grass twice in two days. If they want to inflate their hours, I really don't care. I just wish they would do it quietly.

To be fair - IF you are coming to work (so you won't be around for the endless landscaping) and need a cheap place to stay for a few months, I can see this being ideal. There are beautiful beaches within 2 miles either way. And pretty much anything you could need (Costco/Target/Walmart/etc) is available half an hour away in Kapolei, which is probably where you are working anyway. Waianae itself has a grocery store, drug store and plenty of restaurants. But I honestly wouldn't recommend this as for a one to two week family vacation. (And actually, according to the rules of the complex, they aren't allowed to rent a unit out for less than 30 days but, of course, some of them do.)

There is a workout room that is open from 9 am to 9 pm but it is very basic and not in the greatest shape. The pools and saunas (when they are working) are also open 9 am to 9 pm. The gates to the beach are chained up at 10 pm.

Room Tip: Building A has the best view, although I don't think you can see it from the first or second flo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Rissa808
Waianae, Hawaii
Reviewed March 6, 2010

i absolutely LOVE the surfside. i've lived in 8 different places across the island. i went from the suburbs to waikiki to being nestled within a mountain valley, tropical jungle ravine and lastly here to the surfside, and BY FAR it is the best place i've lived. the guards & office staff are friendly, and having the beach as your backyard is priceless.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
8 Thank MoonlitMystery
Phillipines
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I heard how nice this place was about two years ago. I wasn't able to go until this year 2009. If the place was nice then it sure changed. It was a nightmare. There must not be anyone in charge that knows anything. I have never seen such a poor ran condo place. I was told how nice it used to be recently but let me tell you if it was it sure isn't now. It was the biggest dissapointment to me and the rest of our visitors. Do not waste your money are time going there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank beadh
Wisonsin
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I stayed for 10 days with my husband and we loved the place and will definitely return. The grounds are well maintained, the staff is visible and polite. Although the check-in process took some time getting our information and our vehicle registered it was nice to know that all guests and vehicles are accounted for. We liked staying in a secured setting. I found the locals to be extremely friendly and enjoyed staying in what felt to me like the real Hawaii. There are several local restaurants in the area as well as fast food. When we wanted to eat at more high end restaurants Kapolei was only about a 20 minute drive away. On nights that we didn’t feel like eating out we were able get fresh food for the local grocery store and use the complexes barbeque grill and patio area to have a nice dinner outside. We love the Makaha Surfside and will definitely return and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kamaaina_in_heart
Fresno, CA
Reviewed March 14, 2009

My wife and our two small children stayed in a recently remodeled fourth floor 1-bed 1-bath unit with a view of heaven. Having spent past vacations staying in Waikiki we wanted to try something that was more economical and not as difficult to get around as Waikiki. We wanted a quiet area where we could spend time just relaxing and getting rested up from our busy lives on the mainland. We found just that. The lagoon was perfect for our daughters to play in and we spent several days just hanging out at the unit. Security was visible and the grounds clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cali_brada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waianae
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
Beach Villas at Ko Olina
The Kahala Hotel & Resort

Been to Makaha Surfside Condominium? Share your experiences!