“Hawaiian Princess Unit 408”

Hawaiian Princess Resort
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Hawaiian Princess in number 408. The place had everything we expected and more. It was very clean, the view and location were great. Val, the housekeeper was wonderful and checked on us occasionally to make sure we were doing okay and answered any questions we had. We brought our 3 teenage children and we all had a wonderful time. We took advantage of the game room, pool and spent a lot of time on the beach. We really appreciated all the extra amenities available in the condo, including coolers, boogie boards, snorkel gear and more. Gail really thought about all the things a family would want on vacation and kindly supplied them for us to use. We were looking for a location away from the crowds, and that is exactly what we got. It is quite a drive to get to any of the tourist sites, but it was worth the drive to have a empty beach to relax at.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Amy W

Reviewed August 12, 2013

When we found this amazing rental; with such a great END unit, amazing beach & region pics... along with almost a 100 excellent all 5-star reviews, we knew we were lucky! It was available, we booked it.....boy were we right...It was absolutely fantastic!

This is a fabulous, spacioius, end unit condo! Awesome service from the owner & staff from the beginning to end of the entire booking process & throughout our vacation. The view alone could easily receive more than 5 stars if that was possible! From the honest professional booking process in aloha spirit, the unit, view, location, sea life, friendly locals (we have a pic with) to the sunsets, surrounding beautiful beaches & mountains; it was all A + luxury and then some!

It's a clean unit, nicely decorated, w/ a top notch washer dryer, furniture, nice big shower, comfortable home [even for a family w teens], quiet spacious home away from home, in a down to earth country setting. Not a fancy area. No resorts, No malls w big ticket item shops everywhere... not here. You can get to those areas quickly [25 min. drive to Ko'olina if you wanted].

There are enough supermarkets and 7-11 stores in Makaha. Costco, Target, Wal-Mart etc. are about 30 min. away in Kapolei & enough inexpensive places to eat near by. Want fancy dining? You can get there by car no big deal.

1 last comment; I noticed a bizarre harsh review about this FABULOUS unit and wonderful owner; A 1-star for everything in this fabulous slice of paradise including the A/C. The whole review is about a claim about A/C in the unit which is simply not true! The documents signed
for the owner before she accepts payment clearly covers everything you could possibly think of including the AC, Ceiling fans & portable fans. The information in the documents are clear ,plain and simple. Upon arrival we found everything about this rental exactly as we expected...even better than we had expected!! The A/C & fans were all working well & where they were suppose to be, no problems at all! Bonus....there were a ton of beach goodies for us to use (snorkeling gear, beach chairs, coolers, boogie boards and more)!

I noticed other reviewers complaining about staff parking issues at the Hawaiian Princess. This didn't make any sense either. The info was clear & simple to 'Please cooperate w staff requests if approached." Before we booked like all the rest of the contract info all the guests receive & are required to sign that we read and understand it. We didn't think staff asking people to park between the lines so everyone will be able to find a spot was 'rude'. Calling this rental 'A RIPP OFF' & a '1 -Star' unit ....is awful!! This unit is amazing, all the way around! This 1 guest that is complaining out of hundreds, clearly didn't read the contract. It's a very busy, popular unit for
good reasons!! Anyone who ever has the opportunity to stay there is lucky. We highly recommend it (and so do our teenage kids) and can't wait to go back!!!! We are very lucky to have found this little slice of heaven & grateful that it was available. So blessed to share this place with our kids, those memories will last a lifetime! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank IdahoNativeGirl
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Family of four stayed at the Hawaiian Princess at Makaha for two weeks from end of June to first part of July, 2013. Booked a one bedroom unit on the first floor, right in front of the beach. Some people call this Turtle Beach, some call it Cabana Beach (the lower building next to the taller Hawaiian Princess is called Cabanas, a condo development). Wonderful beach and gorgeous sunset. The unit is a typical time-share condo, nothing luxurious, but has all the essentials like a kitchen, pots and pans, dishes, washer and dryer, refregirator, dining area, sofa, TV, etc. etc. It also comes with couple beach chairs, and an outside patio table and chairs. One can also borrow beach equipment like body boards, paddle boards, kaya, snorkling mask, umbrellas, from the front office. The beach is sparesely occupied, except on week ends it seems to attract more people. I believe one reason is that only yards away is the proper Makaha Beach, where the sand is finer (the sand at Turtle Beach is great, though not as fine), more parking spaces, and has a lifeguard on duty. The Turtle Beach is great, the surf is mostly mild but still provides some action for the kids. Some people were fishing and caught small fish from the beach. Snorkling is a common sence. Our kids managed to find four sea shells of significant size (5 inches long and 3 inches across) by bravely dared into the surf. Several sea turtles were also spoted close to the beach. Management there is friendly but quite strict, which is great. Property is gated and security is 24/7. Otherwise we were left alone to ourselves. The only drawback is one has to drive about 20 minutes at speed limit of 25 (sloooooooow), 30, & 40 mph to "civilization" (next town, Kapolei) where more shops and better restaurants are. But we thoroughly enjoy this place, avoided the business of Waikiki (but did spent another week at Waikiki to join the crowd shopping and eating), and don't mind the additional time to go to other parts of the Oahu island.

Room Tip: My wife didn't want the height, so we picked the lower floor, ended up on first floor. Three ste...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank LLBean888
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Hawaiian Princess Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Aloha and mahalo for your wonderful comments about our location and beach! We hope you enjoyed your vacation and will stay with us again next time you visit Oahu. Many thanks for visiting the Princess!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I loved my time at the Hawaiian Princess. The beach was amazing and right out your front door. We were on the 11th floor so the views were amazing right from the patio. The condo was what I expected and comfortable and updated. The hotel was chosen over one in Waikiki because my wife and I just wanted to relax and that is what this hotel provides. I thoroughly enjoyed waking up and just heading down to pool or beach and not being bothered or harassed by loads of other tourists.
Good:
Resort right on a great non-crowded beach.
Room was nice with an updated bathroom and kitchen.
Amazing views from the 11th floor with every room facing the ocean.
Quiet and very peaceful all of the time.
Driving distance of great beaches up the coast.
Great golf course with a good small (Not Fancy) inexpesive restaurant up the road at the Makaha Country Club.
Nice BBQ grills that are not that busy.

Bad:
No great tourist restaurants on this side of the island. There is fast food and local places.
Traffic to and from the city is quite bad and the drive is well over an hour to go into Waikiki.

Places to see:
Pearl Harbor - Amazing and worth all the time waiting in line to get tickets. We got in line at 7:00 AM and got tickets to enter the memorial at 9:15. Perfect time to see the museums and walk around the grounds. It was also all free.
Swap Meet - Perfect place to get all the souvenirs.
Diamond Head - Good hike and worth the view.
Polynesian Cultural Center - Great shows and good luau
Yokohama Beach and hike to the point - This is only 10 minutes from the hotel farther up the beach. The hike is easy and should be done early in the morning to avoid the heat. Amazing tide pools and views.

Tips:
Be careful with your rental car that you do not leave anything in the car. I left my doors unlocked with nothing in the car so that windows would not be broken out while hiking at the point. The car next to us out there was not as lucky and they had windows smashed out and stuff stolen from the car.
If you need to park in Waikiki the Ala Moana shopping mall seemed really safe and within walking distance of some great places to see and dine. Also it is free parking.

3  Thank scooter6543
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Hawaiian Princess Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

We appreciate your review of the Princess and thank you for spending your vacation with us. Great tips! We'll hopefully welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wife and I just spent 8 nights there. I don't know why there is the word "resort" in the name of this place because it does not compare to say, the Ko Olina Resort..but this fit our needs and wants perfectly because we don't need spa services, room service, or expensive fine dining. First, I will address various complaints and comments I've read others leave about this fine place: "The employees are rude" - No! They are very nice! There are about 10 full time employees and they were all very friendly and professional to us. We had no problems with the staff. Next: "There are too many rules!" - like "please wash all the sand off before you get in the elevator"? -Is that a hard rule to follow? Isn't that common sense? They have rinse off stations between the beach and elevator and who wants to bring sand with them up to their room anyway? I never saw or heard any staff berating anybody for not following "the rules". I guess all the guests that week were well behaved. "The parking lot sucks" - huhn?!? The parking lot is perfectly fine! The stall spaces are a totally normal size. If you're driving a Ford F350 you might have a problem getting between the lines but I had no issues fitting my rental sedan into the spaces. I even double checked every time cause I'd read these reports about getting yelled at for parking askew but I had no trouble. The parking spots are the same damn size as every other parking spot on the island so I don't know what people are complaining about. They must be bad parkers. Okay next: "There are bugs!" - I saw like maybe 4 flying bugs, and those were all little guys. Not counting a half dozen large bumblebees. That's IT! Well okay there was one rather large cockaroach trying to get in the elevator from the lobby but, well, this IS a tropical island so what do you expect? And there was a very tiny gecko in our shower once. He scampered up into the ceiling panels. That was a little different but again, we're in Hawaii here so that sort of thing is to be expected. It was more novel than "ewwww" so wife and I were okay with that. "The beaches are full of bums" - well, yes, I noticed a couple of the local Makaha beaches did seem a little run down with a few homeless vagrants camped out. How do you deal with this if you're scared of homeless people? GO TO ANOTHER BEACH! There are dozens of them nearby!! "Makaha is a rough part of the island" - Yes I'm going to have to agree that it is a run down ghetto-looking area. Most of the houses and dirt yards are sporting blue tarps and pitbulls on short chains, and every single house has a crappy gate with some sort of "beware of dog" or "alarm system" sign up. Looks very white trash. Except these folks aren't white. Actually looks a lot like a stereotypical Native American reservation. Now, were they scary or threatening? No, not at all. Just looked like a dump, but the good news is that the Hawaiian Princess also has a gate that guests and residents have a little remote fob for and once you're parked in there, you could probably leave the car doors unlocked all you want. "Makaha is far away from everything" - Yes, that is also correct. This neither good nor bad, it just is. The bad part is that there are no good restaurants nearby. The good news is that the beach, which is what you're here for anyway, is uncrowded. It's a huge beach. Even on weekends in the middle of summer there is plenty of room to have a huge amount of space for yourself. If you want the glitz and glamour, and the hustle and bustle, I'd recommend Ko Olina or Waikiki. Where you'll find a Rolex store right next to a Ferrarri store and thousands and thousands of Asian tourists. Not saying good or bad, just saying there's a LOT of tourists on this island. Or you can save a ton of money and get a room at the Hawaiian Princess. We found a Costco and stocked up for a week, no problem. "The local stores in Makaha are somewhat lacking" - Yep, that's also a true statement. Prepare to be disappointed if you do any grocery shopping in Makah. I was actually quite surprised to see the convenience stores down the street (and there are more than few) were very clean and very well stocked, and the prices were the same as the bigger local grocery stores. In fact the food prices didn't seem that bad to me at all. Also nearby is a post office, fire station, library, and a police station, which would account for the police cars everywhere. But they were just cruising around, not responding to any hot calls so no worries there.. We stayed in room 408 where somebody else complained about the air conditioning. Well there is AC the bedroom (only) and there are ceiling fans and portable fans everywhere else. The temperature was fine. We only used the AC two times. And this was in the middle of July! So that guy who complained about the heat should get out of the kitchen and maybe go somewhere cooler. It was just fine for us. As for the rest of 408 it was very nice. It could use some freshening up in terms of interior decorating here and there but the televisions worked, the shower was great, and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Sometimes the wife wakes up sore from strange hotel beds but this one was perfect. The unit has a ton of room and the layout is great. We opened the doors wide and loved the beautiful view! From the balcony we saw: sea turtles, manta rays, lots of sky, surf, sand, waves, tour boats of every color, shape and size going by, surfers, surfing dogs, a guy working the beach (almost every morning) with a metal detector, some guys fishing (never caught anything though) a brave guy with a little radio control seaplane, lots of boogie boarding and snorkeling, and every night some people did a conch shell blowing ceremony at sunset. All the sunsets were great. And a couple of full moonsets, too. If you are a good climber you can climb (not "hike" but CLIMB ) up Mauna LahiLahi right next door which will get you 230 feet above sea level. Not for the faint of heart. And we found Aki beach which is a little cove .6 miles to the North. We drove .5 miles and parked roadside by a vacant lot and then walked the .1 mile carrying the beach chairs, cooler, and snorkel gear. Did I feel nervous about leaving the rental car in that neighborhood? No, I did not. It was fine. At the cove there were so many turtles I could not even avoid them bumping into me when I was snorkeling. Actually lets be clear about this, I did NOT touch the turtles, THEY ran into me! Seriously! After noon some would beach themselves for a rest in the sun. Speaking of...from about 3 pm to 6pm (at least during the summer) you'd best bring some serious shade for your eyes there cause the sun will blast directly into your face and as a bonus, also glare off the water. Just at that Aki cove. If you don't have sunglasses you'll have to cover your eyes. Waves were choppy there but snorkeling was excellent with lots of fish and the aforementioned green turtles surrounding you there. Literally. Back at the HP, the pool was totally fine. Yes it's "salt water" but it is crystal clear and has zero chlorine. I loved it. And I hate cold water. This pool has warm water. At least in July. The beach demographic was varied with old folks, middle aged folks, and even a few teens, pre-teens, and little kids all enjoying the warm weather and beautiful water. And interestingly enough, when I mentioned the Hawaiian Princess to some locals on other parts of the island they all said things like "That is a great place to stay" and "that is a NICE area" and they were serious! Because despite the damn roosters across the street crowing at sunset, this is a very nice, quiet, beach scene. If your idea of relaxing involves kicking back on a balcony with a giant vista of water and sunset in front of you, this is your place. Literally thousands of less people here than Ko Olina. Where a burger at the Disney Resort will set you back $17 bucks! But you can visit for free and say "OMG this place is crowded!" and then go back to the HP and enjoy the warm winds and beautiful blue and green and blue green water and the green palm trees and the golden sand.

Room Tip: corner units are huge
16  Thank Nick H
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Hawaiian Princess Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Wow! What a detailed and glowing review of our resort (hotel?) and the surrounding area. Thank you so much for taking the time to inform potential guests about the wonders of the Princess, and some negatives as well. We truly appreciate guests like you and hope to welcome you back to the Princess very soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed in Unit 1005 at the Hawaiian Princess. We loved the unit and the entire complex. I can ssee some people not liking this place. Let me explain. If you are looking for the "Miami" experience of big resorts, crowded beaches, over priced restaurants, and many expensive shops, you will not like this place. Waikiki is where you should stay. However, if you like quiet, GORGEOUS beach and the most breathtaking views from your balcony, Hawaiian Princes is going to be perfect for you. You will NOT find a nicer, closer view of the ocean in all of Waikiki. If you do find anything close it will cost an arm and a leg. The condo we stayed at was very reasonably priced.

Some of the major pros:
There are no other buildings in all of Oahu that are closer to the ocean than this.
The view was beyond amazing.
Quiet Beach. At the busiest time, I counted 25 people on it.
The resort is gated and there is 24 hours security.
The condo was very well equipped, including beach chairs, snorkeling equipment, towels, dishes, pots, spices, etc. Everything that you would have at home.

Couple of cons or rather drawbacks:
It is about 34 miles west of Waikiki, which takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
The area is where the locals live. No big resorts. No million dollar houses. Some people call this area "rough" and "unsafe". However, not one time did I feel unsafe.

I am not a fan of large resorts. I relly enjoyed Hawaiian Princess.The beaches to the north were empty and beautiful since most tourist are afraid to come up here. I was met with smiles nad waves from the locals who frequented those beaches. I shopped at small market two miles east of the town. The prices were very reasonable.

Recommendations for Oahu: (I will post pictures and more detailed reviews for each place)
We loved the Germaine's Luau. - The one at the Polynesian Center is more of a "Broadway show".
Polynesian Cultural Center is great. You can spend a full day there.
Kualoa Ranch has couple of decent family friendly excursions.
Byodo-In Tample is worth seeing.
Waimea Valley is very pretty.
If you want to check out the Dole Plantation, do so, but do not waste you time with the Pineapple Express unless you have really little kids who are into trains.
Sea Life park is an overpriced aquarium. Worth going only if you have little kids.

Food:
The best food we had was at Uncle Bobo's BBQ Place. I still dream about it. Tiniest place, but the best BBQ. I am considering flying from Chicago just to eat there again :)

We did purchase the Oahu Go Card for 5 days. I think it is a really good deal.

Feel free to shoot me an email with further questions.

14  Thank Krowka
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Hawaiian Princess Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Mahalo for your wonderful comments and honest review of the Princess and the area. We appreciate you sharing your positive experience and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Hawaiian Princess has decent condo's. Ours was on the tenth floor and had a wonderful view. The location is as scenic as I have ever stayed. The beach was excellent with very good snorkeling when the wind and waves allowed. There are showers near the beach for condo owners which we like. The condos have 24 hour security, with gated entry, so though there were stories about theft, we felt totally safe. We had no problems at any of the beaches, but as always while in Hawaii, be careful with what you take to the beach and never leave anything in the car.
We did get a wind causing large waves for several days. We enjoyed watching all of the surfers when that happened. It was really something to see. There were several very good beaches just north of the condo's which were still accessible even with the wind shift. There are also four manmade lagoons south by the big resorts that are open to the public. We went down at sunset, but didn't swim there. In all this part of the island is very beautiful. Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of good restaurants, we found this to be true as well, but with plenty of markets and fast food, we survived. Besides there was a Starbucks not too far, so we were happy.
Honolulu and the North Shore are no more than a 45 minute drive, so we were able to see all parts of the island with no problem.
Basically, if you are going for the beauty and beaches, this was one of the best choices I saw on Oahu.

Room Tip: Get a room above the first floor for the view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Spacwood
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Hawaiian Princess Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of the Princess! We appreciate your opinion and your vacationing with us. We hope we will see you again soon on Oahu!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waianae
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
#1 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Hawaiian Princess Resort? Share your experiences!