“Wonderful Choice, Great crew!”

Dolphin Star (Hoku Nai'a)
Book In Advance
More Info
$66.00*
and up
Oahu Dolphin-Watching Cruise with Optional Lunch
Ranked #5 of 15 Tours in Waianae
More attraction details
Owner description: Meet wild dolphins on a Hawaiian eco-tour for all ages aboard the Dolphin Star's Wild Dolphin Watch! A world away from Waikiki, West O’ahu provides the once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing playful dolphins and other marine life with the stunning backdrop of the Wai’anae mountain range. Panoramic decks and best dolphin activities, with crew of Certified Naturalists, narration, video presentation, keiki program and Dolphin Guarantee year-round! Plus, bonus opportunity to see whales in season (December – April). All aboard the Dolphin Star (Hoku Nai'a), an eco-friendly catamaran custom built for wild dolphin watching and snorkeling in paradise.
sasebo, nagasaki, japan
“Wonderful Choice, Great crew!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

My group was very happy with every aspect of this trip. The morning dolphin and (seasonal) whale watching did not disappoint, and the captain and crew were all VERY knowledgeable and helpful. They also seemed genuinely concerned about the well-being of the animals while trying to get the best views. We were lucky enough to see a Hawaiian monk seal on our trip! The crew explained that there are only about 700-1000 remaining in the wild, and the one we saw swam right up to the boat! To give it space, the captain stopped the boat and idled back a little, and the seal followed right with us.

The meal was great, made right onboard with "local" options, like taro rolls and grilled pineapple. There was plenty of food, for sure!

The snorkeling was good, and we saw a large variety of fish, sea turtles, and other cool sights. My only disappointment from the.entire trip was that we couldn't get closer to the reef area for.snorkeling. This wasn't because the trip was lacking, though. The waters were too choppy the day we went to get close enough.

All in all, a great day, at a great value! Would definitely recommend, even with little ones. They did a great job looking out for the safety of the children onboard. I will be going again next time I am back, for sure!

Visited December 2013

Orinda, California
“Yay Great trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

This was pretty great. You see dolphins, whales, seals and turtles. You also have the opportunity to go snorkling and see up close a bunch of tropical fish (and other creatures) that you would not be able see usually. The tour guides/lifeguards are very professional and friendly and interact easily with you. Lunch is decent.

Visited December 2013
Red Deer, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went on the Dolphin Watch tour and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think it was the highlight of our trip. The day we went, the dolphins were about 25 minutes south of the boat dock at Waianae Harbour. Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins are absolutely amazing to watch! There was a mother and baby with the Dolphin pod and the baby really put on a show! In a past tour with another operator, we only had a few brief minutes to watch the dolphins when we came across them, then it was on to snorkeling right away. However, with the Dolphin Star tour, we were in the area watching the dolphins for probably at least 45 minutes. Absolutely awesome and well worth seeing!

Visited November 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“One of the best days we had at Hawaii”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Great day watching dolphins, beautiful food supplied (included in price) and the staff on board the boat were great.
we then went snorkelling and the water was crystal clear and we saw beautiful fish and a turtle.
the captain and staff are to be praised as they were great and I would do this again if I was to go back to Hawaii.
I would highly recommend this to any one wanting to see dolphins.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Deidre A
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great day on the ocean, watching dolphins and snorkelling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had a great day - first watching the dolphins. This was ruined a bit by the fact that paddle boarders had surrounded them so we couldn't get too close. However, we caught up with them later. Lunch was great - freshly cooked onboard.
The staff were very good - especially concerned with the safety of all the passengers.
I didn't feel confident enough to go snorkelling (I am very nervous about deep water), which I am a bit disappointed about. My partner went though, and loved it - he didn't stop talking about turtles for hours!

I was previously concerned after reading other reviews and can confirm that the guides did retrieve sea urchins to show people and one man attempted to grab an octopus and revelled in the fact that it had 'inked' him and had cut his hand. Add these facts to the fact that they were throwing in left over burgers for the fish and I can't help wonder how much these people do actually care about the creatures of the ocean. This is why I have reduced the ranking to very good from excellent.

Visited October 2013