“It's #1 status didn't live up to my expectations.”

Kahumana Organic Farm & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Waianae
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Description: See published review at http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnists/weeklyeater/20100929_Organicoasis.html
South Beloit, Illinois
“It's #1 status didn't live up to my expectations.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I was excited to eat at a farm to table restaurant, but ended up being disappointed. If you don't normally eat organic, don't go here. The salad I had to choke down. I felt like I was eating grass. My meal was better: macadamia nut pesto ahi pasta. Our server was cool but not super attentive. He walked by multiple times and didn't clear our plates or refill our water. It also was confusing when we walked in because you're supposed to seat yourself but there wasn't a sign indicating this. The restaurant is very small. Felt like a wasted meal.

1 Thank Ashley D

• Korean first
Mercer Island, Washington, United States
“Everyone wins …………….”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Everyone wins when eating at the Kahumana’s Farm Café. All of our party, of Grandparents, three Children, Spouses and 7 Grandchildren, thought their entrée was the best. Extensive menu, interesting variety, exquisite taste experience using herbs out of the garden, wonderful salad & soups, great presentations, a very engaging staff and thick fresh fruit smoothies! As stated “everyone wins" as much of the staff is made up of young people in transition from a rough start and thrilled to be serving you as a part of their road forward. When ordering desert be sure someone orders the Sea Salt Carmel Ice Cream and another orders the Passion fruit topping on the lightest cream cheese pie you have ever experienced.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank JimDykeman
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Realistic organic dining”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We ate here in August. My only gripe is our own fault, I wish I got there early enough so it was still light out and could see the farm. But the food was delicious and being from Washington DC, finding a place that served farm to table, organic food at realistic prices was amazing. Organic in DC is EXPENSIVE and Kahumana was priced just right. We also loved that we could bring our own wine. Highly recommended if you're on the leeward side of the island.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Elizabeth J
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dining Organic in Waianae”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I took my parents to dinner here while on their visit from Florida. This was my second time having dinner at the cafe/farm, as I took a friend when she came to visit me in Oahu. It is really a lovely place for a meal; very causal and if you get there early you can sit on the closed in patio and look out over the garden. All the meals are organic and locally grown right from the farm. The kitchen also provides job training skills to people in need in the area and supports over 100 families. All the proceeds from your meal go to help the community. Thus, make sure you tip generously! The food is so fresh and pure and all money goes to a great cause. It is not fancy and there is no alcohol, but really you go to have a fresh meal with no chemicals, pesticides, hormones, etc. and give back to the community by eating! There are a ton of vegan options but also plenty for meat eaters with shrimp, fish, and chicken offered. Sometimes the daily special also includes beef and last night was lamb. The menu is not extensive, but you can find something for everyone from salad, soup, pasta, wraps, etc. I saw bring guests who visit and just go yourself if you live here. I am on the Leeward side, so it is easy for me, but otherwise it is worth the drive from Honolulu or the Windward side. Dinner is only from 6-7:30pm too so make sure you are not late. They also do lunch, but I forget the hours. There is a website with directions, times, the menu, etc. Good eating!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Nicole G
Hailey, Idaho
“More than a restaurant, it's a complete experience”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We discovered Kahumana via Trip Advisor prior to our Hawaiian vacation and were anxious to check it out. Having stayed on the west side in Makaha on a past trip, I knew the options in Waianae were limited. Kahumana is a non-profit organization that provides transitional housing supported by the restaurant. It was wonderful to tour the farm and see the hydroponic gardens and unusual plants. The food is all organic and so tasty we returned for lunch. The desserts including gelato are to die for so don't scrimp! Everything was fantastic and so relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and support the efforts of Kahumana to provide a role model for healthy eating in the vast wasteland of fast food. If you love it as much as we did, you will want to give a generous donation to the organization.

• Visited June 2012