“Excellent value, but do your research”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waianae
Makaha Beach Cabanas
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here July 2012 for our 10 year anniversary.

The good:
- Very nice and private beach
- Our unit was very nice (316B) and included just about everything you could need
- Extremely good value
- Beach front - literally right on the beach
- Sunsets were incredible
- Close to glocery store
- Private parking

The bad:
- Very far from everything (1 hour+)
- No nice restaraunts in the area
- The surrounding area is run down and a little scary at night
- No AC

At first I have to say I was pretty disappointed. We arrived after dark and it was a little scary driving to the cabanas. We also couldn't find a place to eat so we ended up eating fast food the first night (not a great start to a 2nd honeymoon). The next morning we got to see the view and beach and things turned around. As others have said if you are lookiing for a relaxing beach this is a great choice. We are more adventuresome and so we drove around the island a lot. For us, we would have been better off staying closer to Waikiki or even on the North Shore, but I know we would have paid a lot more money. My recommendation is to know what you are looking for before booking. This is an out of the way, reasonably priced condo.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BerkeleySucks
There are newer reviews for Makaha Beach Cabanas

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

cabanas were Absolutly beautiful. sits right on the beach. we stayed in condo 918A had fully equipped condo everything we needed beach towels boogie bored place was so cute and comfy inside . views are priceless . no a/c but with windows and balcony open is more than comfortable. couldn't say enough positive things about this place great deal amazing views love love love

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank love2play2
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at the Makaha Beach Cabanas for 7 nights. I loved the condo and the beach. The view was beautiful, and the nightly sunsets were amazing. I think the building is well taken care of. It has gated parking. There is a security guard that walks the property. They require a key fob to enter the property, and get on the elevators. I felt safe staying here. It is important to know what unit you are renting. They are individually owned, so they are all different. I suggest using VRBO to see the individual units, and pricing. I think this is a great place and area to stay in if your main objective is to just relax on the beach. There aren't things to do in Makaha really, some fast food and local restaurants is about it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AliChicag0
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in Unit A309 owned by Shelley Youngleson. She was very pleasant and easy to work with.

Each of these properties are owned individually. I found this vacation rental at VRBO. I'm a frequent visitor to the islands but Makaha Beach Cabanas are something special. This property is not touristy at all. It's actually in a rural area. As another reviewer stated, most of the area is economically depressed but Makaha Beach Cabanas is a gem. It is actually built on the sand at Papaoneone Beach. I traveled to Makaha to fulfill my mom's "bucket list". The tranquility was priceless. The most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen on a daily basis. We only saw turtles once in the water just off our lanai.

Unit A309 was immaculate and was furnished with everything one needs, just bring your swimsuit and sunscreen. Extremely comfortable bed and couch. Beautiful linens and furnishings. Completely updated with travertine floors, shower, granite countertops. No AC, just fans and tradewinds, that's all one needs. Free wifi works well. The property is very secure from the gates, to the elevators, to ground security. The beach sand was super fine. Amazing! I just cannot wait to go back. I miss the sound of the waves!

For my full review of the property and more photos, go to the website at http://www.vrbo.com/134763

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. I would choose a room from floors 3-9. That close to the water I'm not...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank elle464
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Yes this place is off the beaten path. The adjacent town of Waianae doesn't have a single"tourist style"restaurant. But it does offer a number of local spots that are quite good. You won't find a Walmart close by. Or a Safeway either. Closest one is about ten miles away. No, the Makaha Beach Cabanas are pretty much near the end of the road. The wonderful owners, Michelle and Ringo, of the condo we rented obviously could have cared less about the away from it all location. Why should they when you see the spectacular beach that it's on. It puts Waikiki to shame. Their unit we stayed in, #404 had just had a dramatic makeover. All new everything. Labels were still on the new furniture! It's a great couples condo as the bedroom is next to the lanai. The constant sounds of the surf outside make this spot even more attractive. I could go on further. But I think you get the idea. If you don't mind being somewhat isolated from the Hawaiian tourist crowds. But still with big city amenities. Then the Makaha Beach Cabanas is your place.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank TJBellingham,Wash.
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed in A106 & A107, so this is a combo review.

First of all, we come to HI every year & have stayed on all the islands multiple times, in luxury time shares, hotels & condos. This beach is far and away the best ever! Sure, if you want drinks by the pool, lunch delivered to your chaise lounge & sight-seeing around the corner, stay somewhere else. But, if you want a nearly private beach, super clean water, whales frolicking near the horizon and killer sunsets, this is the place!

The condos themselves vary widely in decor, quality & cleanliness, depending on the owner. A106 is very dated, needs a deep cleaning, has threadbare towels & has the world's worst futon/couch. However, the owners were very accommodating and for the $$, about $72/night @ the monthly rate, we could make do w/o too much of a problem.

A107 was completely renovated, immaculate & other than needing a step ladder to see into the microwave, was perfect. It was $115/nt monthly rate. So, choosing either condo really depends on your budget.

The best part was being on the main floor, directly on the beach, literally steps from the water!
We liked living local instead of being in the tourist centers. It only took about 20 minutes to get to major shopping areas & 45 minutes to get to Honoluu or the North Shore.

We will be back!

Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank MidgeMichigan
Reviewed January 28, 2012

OK, so most of the Waianae area is economically depressed and it shows. For some reason these two monstrous condos were built right on beautiful Papaoneone Beach. They are a bit of an abomination, but if you are lucky enough to stay there you will see why they are popular: Gorgeous beach and lovely LahiLahi Point. The guests/residents are more likely to be hawaiian than elsewhere we visited on Oahu. I enjoyed watching the local keiki (children) enjoy the surf. From the littlest ones just learning how to manage the breakers, to the pre-teens body surfing, and the teens expertly boogie-boarding. The surf was strong when we visited and I would be nervous if I had small children on that steep beach. I grew up in San Diego so I have ocean-swimming experience, so I loved it but was knocked down a few times by the powerful surf. We hiked to the top of the point for great views. Our ground floor unit was convenient for beach action, but some items went missing from our lanai. Many of the units were vacant and so the place was pretty quiet except for the sound of the ocean... well, there were frequent sirens in the night. Our unit could have been cleaner, but that varies unit to unit since they are independently owned/operated. The best part of all is the sunset views!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lizardl3gs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waianae
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Oahu/Kapolei
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Hawaiian Princess Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Makaha Beach Cabanas? Share your experiences!