Open today: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Extermely Memorable Experience

We booked the snorkeling tour that was at 8am. The booking experience was a little iffy, mainly... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
l3tang
Small groups made it more fun and individual attention for each guest.

Got to see a manta ray, sea turtles, humpback tail splashes, spinner dolphins, pygmy sharks and... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Tammy J
Morrow

1,485 results
All reviews west tour captain downing wild rice small group spinner dolphins island spirit sea turtles marine life fish pilot whales personal experience once in a lifetime an amazing experience worth every penny personal attention chicken salad sandwich cleaning station
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Six of our family members participated in the "Best in the West" excursion with Captain Tory and crew member Mallory. The boat was beautiful and clean, the equipment fit well, and the safety instructions were on point. Our trip was customized to our group, we wanted to swim with dolphins and sea turtles and we did! During our trip, Mallory pointed out various species of fish and sea creatures. She and Captain Tory shared their knowledge and taught us a lot along the way. Once Captain Tory spotted a pod of dolphins, she and Mallory coached us along the way and made sure that we were able to swim with them. We all enjoyed our trip and feel that this is hands down the best snorkeling excursion on the island. It's a must!!!

1  Thank cmdixon
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Best of the West tour was the absolute highlight of our 2 week vacation in Hawaii. We loved the small group atmosphere (only six people + crew). Tori and Kim (both marine biologists) were fantastic and had so must knowledge to share. They really have a passion for marine life and want to share it. When we arrived at the dolphin resting area, there were other boats with large groups of people "trying" to swim with dolphins. They were loud and doing a lot of splashing and scaring the dolphins away. With the experience Tori and Kim had, they were able to tell us exactly what to do to have a successful swim with the dolphins. They know these animals and have even named them! We steered far away from the other groups and had a very intimate and engaging swim with the most beautiful and fascinating animals in the world! The pod of dolphins was huge, I'm not good at estimating, but I would say definitely over 50 dolphins were swimming with us! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! After the dolphins moved on, we went to a beautiful reef to snorkel and finished off our trip at the turtle cleaning station!
Everything about this trip was top notch, the boat is very nice, clean and well kept. I was a little sea sick so I didn't have lunch, but everyone else said it as great. Plenty of water and snacks aboard as well. I got a ginger pill and ginger candy (no charge). Also of note, the cost of this trip is 100% worth it, I would have paid so much more for this trip of a lifetime (and would have gone back the next day if they had let me). There was also no penny pinching. They offer all clients access to their pictures for no additional charge whereas every other tour I've been on charges extra for the professional pictures.
All in all, a fantastic experience! Even though I was sea sick, I didn't want it to end. Thank you Tori and Kim for giving us such an amazing trip of a life time!

Mahalo,
Jessica and Fred

1  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We were all beginner snorkels and they took great care of us! We started out with a practice snorkels saw a few turtles and some cool fish! After we were comfortable with the gear, we set out to find a pod of dolphins and found several! Got to follow them on the boat a bit before they came to their resting spot and we got to jump in the water with them! The guides were great, gear worked well, and the lunch was delicious! Worth the extra money to do this (we did the Best of the west tour) than the huge ones with other companies!! Highly reccomended!

1  Thank Lizpenner
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My brother and I had a fantastic time on the Best of the West cruise! Even though it was the end of the season we were able to see some humpback whales which was awesome! We got to see some dolphins , they were really fun to watch playing in the wake behind the boat! We weren't able to find dolphins to swim with, but not for lack of trying of the crew, they definitely did their best. My favourite part was getting to snorkel with sea turtles, they were wonderful and so was the reef and all the fish we got to see.

The crew was also fantastic, everyone was very professional and very knowledgeable, they were able to answer all of our questions and you could tell that they were very passionate about what they do.

I would highly recommend this cruise, it was simply amazing!

*one tip though is if you are driving from Waikiki give yourself at least 1 hr and 45 min to get there. With no traffic it takes no time at all but there was a traffic jam on the H1 freeway and we almost missed our cruise and we had left early*

Date of experience: April 2013
Reviewed April 23, 2013

tori & mallory made my dream come true by taking us whale-watching a couple weeks ago! we especially loved the personal interaction my parents & i received, & the fact that there were only 4 of us aboard w/ them really enhanced our experience. not only did captain tori know where to take us, she & mallory educated us all day about the wildlife we were seeing. & we got lucky because we ended up seeing several pods of whales that day even though it was the end of the traditional whale season in hawaii!

it is evident that tori cares about her clients--as an example, she knew we were staying in waikiki so we were going to have to make the trek over to waianae where the "best of the west" tour begins & ends. tori also knew that another girl was also staying in waikiki, so tori scheduled us for the same day & put me in touch w/ rebecca ahead of time so we could travel to/from waianae & go on the tour together.

tori purposefully limits the # of people on board to 4 (6 max) to ensure everyone has the personal attention & interaction tori values so much. because there were only 4 of us on board w/ tori & mallory, it made for such an intimate experience, & that was excellent! as an additional personal touch, tori & mallory even made a wonderful lunch for us. :)

when you go on a wildside specialty tour, you can customize exactly what you want to focus on when you're out on the water. all 4 of us wanted to go whale and dolphin-watching, & rebecca also wanted to snorkel w/ dolphins. so tori & mallory made all that happen! we couldn't ask for anything more. :)

i really can't say enough about how incredible the team @ wild side specialty tours is--you can't beat the value you get when you combine the once in a lifetime experience on the water + the personal interaction & education you receive. i promise you, it is $ well-spent!

Date of experience: April 2013