“Hukilau Cafe is awesome!”
Review of Hukilau Cafe

Hukilau Cafe
Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Laie
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stopped for lunch and ordered Hukilau burgers and fries. The food was awesome, one of the best burgers we've every had. Friendly and efficient staff made our meal even better. We enjoyed the humour and warmth of all the local people, they made us feel at home.

2  Thank sassyCanada

Reviewed June 10, 2014

It became obvious this is a popular place for food for the locals, based on how many folks came in and picked up the take-out. And the ones that ate inside were greeted by name by the staff.
The place is not air-conditioned and got rather warm while we were there for lunch. Ceiling fans weren't much help. I felt bad for the folks back in the kitchen area, it must be really hot back there.
I had the steak sandwich, which was similar to a Philly cheesesteak. Another in our group had the Hukilau burger and loved it. Bottom line, the food is good (not extraordinary) as are the prices. However, parking can be a problem. You may have to park down the street and walk to the restaurant.

2  Thank scubaV
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Although our waitress was very friendly, I would not recommend this restaurant. It was hotter inside than outside during the heat of the day, and the place was swarming with flies. We ordered the Maui burger, which was fried pieces of fish on a bun. It was very affordable, but the quality was just not what we expected from all the reviews we read. The bathroom is outside the building around the back, and there was no way to dry your hands.

2  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We ordered loco moco, fried rice omelette, French toast, corned beef hash, pancakes, cheese/ham omelette and drinks. Very quick and efficient service. We were 7 in the group and we were told that we can move the chairs but not the tables? So we had to sit in two separate table settings. We were not allowed to be friendly, lol.

1  Thank orsotnas
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I literally live right across a small street from the Hukilau Café. I have known Kalani, the present owner, since he was a boy, and I knew his Choy family relatives (as in chef Sam Choy, his mother, father and siblings) who previously started it up . . . but that was many years ago, and today Kalani deserves all the credit for turning the Hukilau Café into a great "mom-and-pop" Hawaiian local-style place to stop for breakfast and lunch (they're not open for dinner, and they're also closed on Sundays and Mondays). Indeed, many mornings when I come out of my driveway the street is crowded with cars and customers are lined up, waiting their turn — tourists and local people alike.

Because I live so close, I don't eat at Hukilau Café very often, but I have eaten there many times over the years . . . and most recently I was feeling "ono" (Hawaiian for "hungry" or "delicious") for one of my favorite dishes there: Loco moco.

For the uninitiated, that's a local meal usually consisting of two fried eggs (done to your directions; I usually get over-medium so there's still some running yolk) on top of a grilled hamburger steak (although some people substitute the ever-popular-in-Hawaii Spam™ or other meat), all sitting on a bed of sticky white rice and smothered in brown gravy. I've had loco moco in a bunch of places, but Hukilau Café serves the best.

BTW, my wife had one of the café's excellent hamburgers (also served in several varieties). We've also enjoyed their more traditional breakfast meals many times.

If you want tasty food, generous portions AND the Laie-style local experience, you can't miss with the Hukilau Café. Aloha.

1  Thank Mikaele293