“Excellent place to visit”

Polynesian Cultural Center
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the top Hawaii attractions includes the Polynesian Cultural Center, which features a 42-acre facility on the North Shore of Oahu. Founded in 1963, the nonprofit Center was created so that the students of nearby Brigham Young University Hawaii could work their way through college by sharing their island heritage with visitors. The students come from an area that covers approximately 12 million square miles of the Pacific Ocean.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Fort Morgan, CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

A memorable experience for myself and my adult daughters. The evening meal and the show were enough for us to take in on our first visit to the Center. So being able to return for a 2nd visit within 3 to 5 days at no extra cost was a big plus for me- a senior aged person. To experience the entire location, plus the evening show, is too physically demanding for us older people. The gift shops were also excellent and the service was consistently kind and helpful. A great time for all.

3 Thank retiredfarmer777

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
Laguna Hills
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I want to visit this place again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

I didn't really feel like I was truly in HAWAII until I went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The bus ride from Waikiki to the center was very informative and comfortable. Once arriving at the center, I felt a warm, welcoming feeling and continued to feel this the entire day. All of the employees were so happy and friendly. The performances were astounding and professionally done and I can't wait to go again. I would highly recommend this to any who would like a real taste of the islands.

3 Thank laoakland
Atlanta, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Interactive way to learn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2007

We spent most of our day at the PCC and really did not have enough time to do everything. There are 7 areas (Samoa, Hawaii, etc.), lots of stage shows and a mid-afternoon parade.

We enjoyed all the shows we made (guess we have a taste for cheese) and thought we got our money's worth. The IMAX movie (very pro-environment) was fine, the water parade was pretty. Had a ball in Samoa, other areas. Did not do the luau (no booze) or eat anywhere.

TIP: Participation is key. We volunteered, cracked coconuts, did the stick-tossing game in New Zealand, tried the pom pom twirling, javelin throwing. All the interactions made it more fun, less of a museum or theme park.

It is more or less a Polynesian themed park or museum, but with the name of PCC and any glance at its website, that's pretty much what I expected. Depends on the type of tourist you are, but we enjoyed it and would do it again.

3 Thank tripperATL
Brunswick, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The Money Pit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

I suspect I will be in the minority here but I found PCC incredibly over priced and underwhelming. We were moved like a herd of cattle from one island to the next and rushed along so we had little time to appreciate what we were being shown. Some of the islands were entertaining but some were boring and so closely mirrored that it was hard to appreciate the cultural differences of the islands.
Food is served buffet style and will remind you of grade school with different tables going first, then second, and so on. The quality of the food was probably no different than any other luau. It was good but it was made in bulk. My highlight was the entertainment during the luau itself.
After dinner, more cattle herding to the big outdoor auditorium for the evening entertainment. This was a big production but became repetitive rather quickly and I was ready to go back to the hotel.
The only time we had plenty of time to do what we wanted was when they sent us through the souvenir shop. Go figure! I won't be back and I tell all of my friends not to waste their money.

14 Thank Labhunter71
Carlsbad, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Family Cultural Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

We visited the PCC in early April 2007. We had a fabulous experience. The drive over from Honolulu was beautiful. We arrived at 2:00 pm and took in the Imax movie on coral reefs. It was so incredibly beautiful and interesting for my husband, 10 year old daughter, and I. We traveled through some of the villages, but felt we should have spent the entire day there, just to take it all in. Look for opportunities to use your pass for up to three visits.

The Luau food was good. The entertainment seemed nice, but we really couldn't hear them as we were sitting by the buffet tables.

The evening show was by far the highlight of the evening. All the international dances and costumes. The music. It combined to make a magical night and wonderful memory for us all.

2 Thank Traveling_Travails