“very interesting, Breath of Life show great”

Polynesian Cultural Center
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the top Hawaii attractions includes the Polynesian Cultural Center, which features a 42-acre facility on the North Shore of Oahu. Founded in 1963, the nonprofit Center was created so that the students of nearby Brigham Young University Hawaii could work their way through college by sharing their island heritage with visitors. The students come from an area that covers approximately 12 million square miles of the Pacific Ocean.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Windsor, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“very interesting, Breath of Life show great”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We spent the afternoon walking around to the different presentations which were great. The food at the luau was excellent. We loved the show "Breath of Life". we were in the second row, so saw & felt everything. We did take the tram, not realizing it was going to the Mormon church. I don't really think that religion needs to be brought into it, but I guess the centre is backed up by the Mormon church. So, my only suggestion would be not to take the tram tour if religion holds no interest.

1 Thank Debbie S

• Slovak first
Nashville, North Carolina, United States
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wife made me do it - was really worth the trip - DO IT !”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

OK, I was not sure I would like this but it turned out great. We were treated like royalty. The shows were great and we learned a lot. The layout of this park is great. All the people that worked there were fantastic and made us feel like family. We ate the luau and the food was very good. No problems going back for seconds. We showed up at noon when it opened and stay until after the last (main) show - which was great. If you are on Oahu you have to go.

1 Thank Stanton M
Seattle, Washington
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Liked the show "Breath of Life" but not sure if other experiences worth the cost.”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I thought the show "Breath of Life" was amazing. We had second row seating so we were up close and personal. During the show we could actually feel the heat from the flames which I thought was pretty cool. And at the end of the show we were able to talk to the performers and shake their hands! Besides the show, I thought the other areas were good. You got to see a lot of performances such as drumming where the audience could participate. You could also see chants and singing. There's also a boat ride which takes you from one place to the other and that was nice and relaxing. There was a buffet included in my ticket price. I thought the selection was very small and did not like the food that much. My brother, who is from Oahu, said that he did not think the food was very authentic and had better tasting elsewhere.

1 Thank Cathy N
Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“I feel the PCC misrepresented itself, I'm very disappointed”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Going to the website for the PCC you have to read the fine print to see this is backed by the Mormon church. I wouldn't have an issue with that in principal; however, I have a major issue with the way they "sell" the church when you're there. To name a few instances (1) there is a tram you can take to their church for a presentation (2) they pray at dinner and ask that everyone holds hands (3) they refer to each other as "cousin" throughout the property. Frankly, it feels creepy, they constantly stop you and ask where you're from, you get a vibe that they're keeping track somehow.
As for PCC itself, we got there at 1pm, if you ask at the gate for the recommended shows they'll give you a list -- you'll have no problem getting through without a tour. The ambassador ticket presumably gets you better food, but I just can't imagine doing the tour with a guide. I overheard conversations amongst the tour groups and there was much evidence of further religious propaganda.
The food was very average, not a lot of choice, and nothing specific for kids. I don't expect them to cater "down" to kids, but this is sold as a "family" event and so it would have been nice if they could have added a few menu items for children.
I can't comment on the show. I'm sure it was good, we paid for it, but couldn't stand another minute of it there so we left before it started.
I'm very sorry we used one of our days on this beautiful island at the PCC.

Visited November 2013
9 Thank Ilovebeach_11
Anchorage, Alaska
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great day with a 9-year old”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have always loved the Polynesian Cultural Center, but skipped it for the last several trips to the islands as I was not sure how friendly it would be for a young child. This trip, my daughter is 9 years old and it was the perfect time to go!
We had such an enjoyable day! She was the right age to read things on her own, she drew similarities to Alaskan traditions and culture and really enjoyed the kid activities. She loved getting all of the temporary tattoos, filling her passport book with stamps and learning about other places and cultures. She absolutely loved the canoe pageant and all of the colors/costumes.
We stayed for the luau that we all enjoyed. I was impressed with the quality and taste if the food for such a huge service.
Great experience!!