“come with low expectations and leave with a smile”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laie
Malaekahana Beach Campground
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Laie
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Unfortunately the cabins are run down and no longer for rent. The bathrooms are porta-potties and you can imagine how they smell when the full day sun hits them. There are feral cats and chickens EVERYWHERE. I like the chickens though, but could drown the damn cats. If you leave anything out the cats will get into it. Dogs are prohibited in the park but yep, locals bring their dogs to bark at you when you walk by and no park employee seem to care enough to enforce the rule. There are little pieces of garbage everywhere (due to cats dragging it around and wind blowing unsecured garbage). The whole place looks run down.

Now, if you arrive with low expectations and a relaxed attitude you will be pleasantly surprised. The beach is beautiful and easy to swim. Nice sandy shore without any major rocks to worry about. The people are awesome. 99% of the campers are there to relax and have a good time and thus are very friendly. You camp a stone's throw away from the beach. Campsites are just beyond the treeline so you get a little bit of a wind break. The gate does lock at 7pm so you dont have to worry about cars at night. everything is peaceful in the evening. You can park your rental car pretty close if not right next to your campsite so just put your food and garbage in the car at night to fix the cat problem. If you really look around you will see people just picking up those little scraps of garbage here and there. If you join in too the campground will look even better. If you need a little more than camping then try the eco cabins. Nice and convenient, little hotplate for cooking, and small fridge for food. Basic RV toilet and a real shower with warm water. Not hot water, but decent warm water. The location is one of the best. Much slower pace on that side of the island. It's not a KOA campground by any means, but you dont have to pay $40 night just to camp either. All in all I felt relaxed, safe, and hassle free.

Room Tip: eco cabins are easy and cheap if you dont want to camp. If you have a group, get Tutu's Hale an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

First make sure that you reserve the correct camp site! Friends of malekahana is a private campsite and is different to the state recreation camp site! Friend of Malekahana has camp sites, cabins and yurts. We stayed on a campsite! The location is superb, service very nice, camp hostess and security on site all the time! Nice people, strict rules, so besides the crowing roosters it is very quiet! The outdoor showers and restrooms are basic but well kept! If you reserve in advance there is a two night minimum of stay. The beach is perfect for swinging or body boarding, quite calm. This campground is a great escape from Waikikki and actually the only private and safe campground around the island of Oahu!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank ViennaGuanaco
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for 4 days of our 6 day vacation. Rather than staying in a tent, we rented a campervan from Hawaii Camper Rentals. We had a great time camping, playing on the beach with the kids, and having a nice campfire at night with marshmallows. A great mellow campground with good bathrooms and showers. A great way to spend time with your family.

Room Tip: We didn't rent a cabin, but did rent a campervan. The companies name is Hawaii Camper Rentals...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank James S
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for 5 days and loved every bit of it,yes the buildings seem a bit run down,but when I go camping I'm sleeping out side. They picked up the garbage ever hr it seemed.I grew up on a farm so I really enjoyed being woke up by chickens lol.I can't wait to make it back to this place .....no more Waikiki for me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I wrote a review of "Friends of Malakahana" in 2011 after my first visit (“Friends of Malaekahana Campground is AMAZING!!!”). Since then I've been back two more times (a total of 3 visits, all for 2 weeks a visit). It's such a great campground and environment to stay in. It's relaxing & there are always different types of people to meet and talk to. I've stayed friends with people in the area that I met in 2011 and it's great to see them back at the campground when I go back.

There are some changes that have taken place over the last few years, but they're mostly small changes. I love being able to have a place to stay for a couple weeks that's literally right on the beach (the Lil' Grass Shacks). It's rustic, but all one needs for a relaxing vacation. Just remember, you're camping and not staying at a 5 star resort. You're supporting true locals... (Not supporting a HUGE resort just looking to make money and exploit the land). I've never seen any issues with people disrespecting each other. I travel alone and NEVER have I once felt unsafe at Malaekahana.

The Kahuku/Laie area is also a great place to be. There are places to get great local food, to pick fruit trees & coconuts, & get to know why the North Shore is so special. The Kahuku Community Golf Course is a great place to play golf too, by far the most beautiful place I've played in 10 years. There are some great hikes in the area too! The campground is also only 45 minutes from Honolulu if you want to go to town and check out the sites.

I'm a friend of Malaekahana for life and I'll be back there year after year. Keep the Country Country!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank cartergriffin
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have been camping for 52 years an this place rates as the #2 worst place I have camped. I don't mind porta pottys but the ones here were filthy, no toilet paper & stunk. They don't seem to have a lot of help cleaning up. Campsites are clean enough until you look into the bushes around them and there are papers and assorted trash everywhere. The buildings are run down and some look to be practically falling down. It is a real shame because the beach is wonderful. Had no trouble with "druggy" looking people and no noise on the weekend. It was mostly families camping .I wouldn't suggest this place to my camping friends.

Room Tip: Stay in a tent if you must got-the rental units look shabby
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sandy T
Reviewed August 30, 2012

had my stuff stolen!!! computer ,wallet, phone,shoes, everything. had my car broken into and window smashed. lots of drugs being used.meth being used and sold.people walking around all night. lots of fights and drunk people. puke and sewage puddles everywhere. bathrooms not working. broken glass everywhere. cut my foot twice. pictures on web not what you get. very rundown. music all night and staff very rude !!!! beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank tom s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laie
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village

Been to Malaekahana Beach Campground? Share your experiences!