“Great Luau”

$92.00*
and up
Paradise Cove Luau
More attraction details
Owner description: In the traditions of our ancestors, we pass on to you the knowledge of our rich history including the arts & crafts, games of skill, songs, dances and food.
Nashville, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Luau”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was my first Luau experience and I would definetly go back. The entertainment was excellent and so was the food. There are lots of activities prior to dinner and the view of the sunset is amazing.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Happy for a first timer”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We knew when coming to Hawaii we would want to do a luau but were unsure where to go. Not long after people saw where we were they suggested paradise cove. We got a special deal and upgraded to the premium package which included very close stage seats, three premium drinks and a personal waitress.

Our tour leader cousin moe was fantastic, he had us singing and dancing and interacting with other patrons. Made the bus trip fly and had us all pumped up for the luau. Once arriving we were met with a rude lady who was going to take us to get a photo and show us our seats, a little disappointing she wasn't in the Hawaiian spirit. Included in our package was a photo with the hula girls and boys, who were not boys they were very very attractive men that had us ladies giggling all night.

Not a lot of time for the activities but we managed to get a temporary tattoo which is just oil pencils and will rub off quickly but they look great once first completed.

Food was average for me, salads bland, traditional pork was dry and the fish tasteless BUT cocktails were fantastic and the show was enjoyable which all took my mind off of the food, it is all mass produced so they do what they can.

For our group the dancers were great, it's what we enjoyed the most being a bunch of girls half naked men really do the trick. A luau is part of the Hawaiian experience so just go with it!

New Westminster, Canada
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“To avoid disappointment keep these things in mind”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Many people who had been to several Luaus told me that this one is the best. I can't compare this to others, but I will compare it to my expectations so if you are new to Luaus this may help.
1)Keep in mind that there is a reason that traditional Hawaiian food has not swept the nation. Go to taste something unique don't go for a cullinary treat.
2)Sunset is around 6:30 and this is a large outdoor area that is mostly not lit so the many activities that they offer stop at about 5:30. Our pick up was nearly 4:30 and it took and easy 1/2 hour to drive there. Then the check in and such you have very little time to partake in these activities. I got to see two. There is a rush as people hurry to get into line and see as much as possible. It doesn't translate to a pleasent, relaxed experience.
3) A temporairy tattoo means a grease pencil that will come off on your clothes, not a henna that will last for a few days. If you are putting on a sweater later don't get one on your arm. Getting one means standing in line and missing other events.
3)The canoe ride is in a body of water about the size of a public swimming pool. It lasts about 5 mins. You won't get wet.
4)There is lots of entertainment, the fire sword dancer was great but he was up for less than 10 mins
5)Paradise Cove hires lots of young people, they are beautiful but it takes years to develope skill and knowledge. They are athletic dancers, very nice folks trying their best but not prone to know how to work a crowd of older folks or to fill up the empty coffee urns without wandering away to find help.
6)You are paying a lot of money, it goes towards the wages of a lot of people and to the company's profit. Your paying doesn't end at the gate.
7)There are many things you want to take a picture of but you aren't allowed, but they will take a picture for you and you can pay for it.
I found that the guide that comes with the bus ride was trying to work our crowd like we were at a drunk stag party or on leave from a military stint. We were a sea of grey hair and a few parents with wee ones. If our guide had been older she may have known how to change the banter from "LET'S PARTY! "to something more appropriate. I got a little tired of the MC's (who are older) using 'Aloha' to try and liven up the crowd, there is only so many times I can shout that.
8) A crowd works off the energy of the performers and the performers work off the energy of the crowd. Try to kick start this energy even if the skill of the MC is wanting.
I suggest if you want to go drive there so you can be at the gate just as it opens. Skip the tattoo unless you have little kids, the line up will mean you'll lose out on other experiences. If you are on your own or in a very small group be very careful about who you are seated beside, you need upbeat company to make this a pleasent experience.
Next time I'll go to a nice Hawaiian restrurant for a taste of the best of Hawaii and I'll visit the free events at the Kuhio beach for real Hawaiian dancing.

6 Thank Ginger I
Monroe, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“So much fun and REAL Mai-tais!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A friend who lives in Honolulu recommended this luau over others. It really was a lot of fun. So many activities and a great show. Food was mediocre at best and there was only one fish dish which unfortunately was covered with nuts. ( allergic). But the food may be better if you eat pork or chicken. Drinks were generous and delicious ! We got the package that included a flower lai and premium drinks with preferred seating. Was a really great time! We almost went to the Ha show at the cultural center but its Mormon run and alcohol free! Fake Mai- tais!

1 Thank Snooch123
California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great event”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have never been to a luau so I would say that it met my expectations but did not exceed them. There is a lot to do before the dinner including making leis, having temporary tatoos placed, making head bands, and canoe rides. The location was exceptional and my favorite sunset picture. The dinner is great and we upgraded so they served us our meal which was really nice. However the drinks that came along with the meal were watery and the meal a bit bland. The show is great, very mesmerizing and a good sample of the different regions of dance. I would definitely recommend this to first-timers and for special occasions but do not feel that I need to go back again.

Visited January 2013