Open today: 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

134 Reviews
from $69.00
from $62.00
1,615 results
All reviews the bus teriyaki beef audience participation drink tickets gift shop hawaiian food great night food was great roasted pig buffet style all you can eat buffet line plenty of food fun evening hawaiian culture rice fire dancers
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Hawaii and our first (and last) Luau. I must start by warning anybody who is expecting a delicious Luau feast, the food at the cafeteria of your local hospital is probaby better than the garbage they serve you at this event !
The location is about an hour away from Honolulu (including rush hour trafic) and you drive through an industrial area with an oil refinery (!) just before you get dropped off on a nice secluded beach. The tables are picnic style and the setting very rustic which promises maybe an authentic Luau experience away from the concrete jungle of the city.
Unfortunately, this is all ruined when you get to the buffet to realize you are eating canned food prepared cafeteria style with paper plates and plastic utensils. There is nothing Hawaiian about the meals except maybe the roast pig (which tasted a bit greasy) some coconut jello and the dreaded Poi (even they don't eat this stuff).
The show seemed OK as a novelty but we have no reference to compare to since this was our first Luau. The fire dancer however was outstanding. The stage setting was nice under the moon light and the breeze from the ocean which should put you in a good mood if you can get over the food they just fed you!
I would still recommend every visitor to try a Luau but stay away from this one, it is not worth the time and money.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked on the day through the savon website where you can get a 20% discount, it's very handy as I don't think this Luau was worth the full price. The bus picked us up at our hotel and the journey out was about 35 - 40 minutes. Our host on the bus was Travis and he was relatively entertaining, trying to keep us occupied on the bus ride out. On arrival they take your photo on the beach and then you head in and find a seat. We were on the 3rd bus to arrive, so a lot of the good seats had been taken. The drinks were okay, food was below average, I expected it to be of a higher quality and more variety, I'm not sure I really enjoyed any of the meal. The show was very tacky and touristy but entertaining nonetheless. It wasn't very authentic at all and was focused on Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa and New Zealand Maori, the performers didn't sing any of the songs that they were performing which was a let down, instead it was an old woman and an old man doing all of the singing! All in all a disappointing experience at Germaines.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The bus picked us up on time. Our escourt Cuz'n Wally was really good and made our ride enjoyable. He was full of information and kept us laughing. The beach location was nice you should remember since its on the beach wear appropriate shoes. We saw many women wearing shoes with heels or platforms. They take your picture when you get off the bus. It has the ocean as the background. The food was average. The show was good we really enjoyed it especially the fire act. You do get three drink tickets for alcoholic beverages. The beverages are in 6 ounce cups they do offer 16 ounces glasses in the gift shop that they will fill for one drink ticket the glasses are $10 which is a nice keepsake so its up to you if want a larger drink. We booked on there website and got a free Germaine cooler bag, post cards and pen. They also do a good job getting the audience involved.

1  Thank Tropicalfun101
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just got back from attending the Luau with my husband and two young boys and have been left very disappointed.

From the outset our "Escort" tried to set the tone of a party bus atmosphere, nothing like a family friendly cultural experience. We then arrived pretty much in the back lots of at industrial estate/oil refinery, which luckily from inside the Luau was well disguised.

Unless you're on one of the first couple of buses to arrive you can be left wandering searching for a seat you can actually see from and are not crammed in to.

After the big talk up on our bus ride in, the food was extremely average. Very little to choose from, hot items were cold and the only ok desert was the chocolate cake that I could swear is just a good old Sarah Lee chocolate cake. On a positive, the pork was delicious.

The performance itself couldn't even keep our two very easily entertained boys interested, they were asking to go home. My husbands words were something along the line that if we'd driven ourselves we'd have left very early on, and i had to agree. Although the dancers were great, there seemed to be very little traditional focus and if there was, although we were pretty close we could barely hear or understand the "MC". There was also more focus on other parts of the Pacific (Samoa and Tahiti) the Hawaii itself, and the attempts at comedy very lame.

The trip home was as bad as the ride in, and it's one of the first times on any of our family holidays I've been glad something was finally over.

Also worth checking with tour directors about what is and isn't included for young children. According to the brochure although our boys were both free (thank goodness) they still receive the same inclusions, including a seat on the coach transport. In our case as they'd literally booked a full coach our boys had to sit on our laps. Try squeezing a family of 4 into 2 tiny coach seats together, not fun, especially on a late night ride home!

Overall I'd definately look at any other Luau, very disappointed we've waisted an opportunity with this one.

1  Thank B-Force2012
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Overall I found the whole experience to be a bit cheesy. I will say that my husband and I were looking forward to just being able to sit back and enjoy the show, not have to participate, so that may have contributed. The evening started out slow and lacked atmosphere. The dinner is buffet-style and the quality was average at best. However, after dinner, once the traditional dances started, things started to pick up a bit. It depends what you're after, but this would probably suit a family more than a couple, unless you're particularly social. It did not really meet my expectations.