“Sub-Standard”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Azul - CLOSED

Azul
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Awarded the AAA 4-Diamond, Azul is Ihilani's signature Oahu fine dining restaurant, serving Hawaii's finest Italian cuisine.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Sub-Standard”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2005

As most Christmas celebrants we looked forward to an exceptional dining experience in a "top rated" restaurant. Azul was chosen merely because we looked for something different and Azul's menu looked promising. Our expectations ended with our first contact.
Unbelievably, it took exactly 45 minutes before we had so much as water on the table, not to mention a drink. The staff knew nothing of the wine menu nor the menu in general. They proceeded in attempting to take our order for wine, entree and desert all at the same time.
The "seared" froie gras that arrived twenty minutes later was under-done and cold as a witches heart. It was "decades" before we saw any wait help come around to serve us after that. My two dinner companions were hopeful, but they too were losing patience. The final entrees were just O.K. We left at first convenience. Critique: Food was barely acceptable, service was terrible. Wrap-up? Azul's is one of the worst restautants purported as a five-star restautant. The food is mediocre and the service is very, very lacking. I will never recommend Azul to anyone and as a member of Hawai'i's media, my collegues will also pass the word. Cutting corners does not serve the public or the employees.

F.K. Akui

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Atlanta
“Great Atmosphere, but disappointing food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2005

For $200, I expect something to stand out on my plate.

We order the tapas sampler that allows the chef to pick 3 tapas to sample. We got was some cut up cucumber with blue cheese on it, smoked salmon on toast with capers on top, and a lamp chop. The lamb chop was the best thing all night. This plate was disappointing especially since we thougth this would be something to let the chef show off a little.
Forgot about the free starter that came out. It was duck with something forgetable on top. The dish was cold and gummy. The bread was good, but the spreads were not. I like the olive spread, but the hummus tasted like refried beans, not hummus.
For entrees we got the signature dishes. I has the lamb shank which tasted like the beef stew I make a home. You couldn't tast the parsnips in the dish. My wife got the snapper which she did not seem pleased with. We split the cheesecake for dessert, again just ok.

When we spend this kind of money other places we usually come away with something good to remember. This meal was completely forgetable besides the bill.

I would suggest the Japanese restaurant on site instead(great steak).

7 Thank I_Hate_Names
Montclair, New Jersey
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2005

July 6, 2005, my husband & I reserved a table for our wedding night dinner, thinking it would be a wonderful & romantic dinner for 2.
We were guests at the Ihilani for 11 nights (the hotel where Azul is located) & we had been married for less than an hour, our ceremony having been performed on the beach - walking distance from Azul.
When we entered Azul, I was in my wedding gown.
The staff was told WELL in advance, many, MANY times, that this was our wedding dinner for 2 & to please do something a little special for us, for which we were willing to PAY a little extra. A tiny wedding cake perhaps?
As a professional who works in a service industry myself, I fully expected that the staff would have had the foresight to give us a bottle of champagne - SOMETHING to acknowledge the obvious.
Sadly, these requests were ignored & nothing 'special' materialized.
And, our meal at Azul was probably the worst that we had on Oahu.
The service was far below par, for what the Ihilani bills as 'An Award Winning Restaurant'. I'd be curious to know what awards it has won exactly - perhaps it was the
Below Average, Ho Hum Dining & Average Service award?
As far as the food was concerned, the amuse bouche was forgettable. This is supposed to be something that leaves you wanting MORE!
A foie gras appetizer was so spongy & raw that I lost my appetite before our main courses arrived, from revulsion.
A plate of assorted nibbles was the equivalent of an appetizer from TGI Fridays.
Dinner was also a disappointment - a sauce for fish which was billed as 'pesto' didn't seem to have a trace of basil or parmesan & was bitter & bland.
We barely touched our food.
I am not averse to paying high prices for excellent meals - we live in the NY/NJ area where high prices are the norm however, excellence is expected in return for those high prices. Perhaps that is why we felt so cheated. Especially on 1 of the most important nights of our lives.
So it is fortunate for us that the sweetness of our new marriage drowned out the dullness of the food & service at Azul.

15 Thank Choulli