“Best in all of Ko Olina!”
Review of Azul - CLOSED

Azul
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Awarded the AAA 4-Diamond, Azul is Ihilani's signature Oahu fine dining restaurant, serving Hawaii's finest Italian cuisine.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

If you only go "big" one night at the Ko Olina, Azul is the place to do it! Elegant atmosphere nestled within the beautiful Ihilani Resort with tropical landscaping and ponds filled with sting rays and sharks. The Italian cuisine is exquisite! Definitely the place to go for that special night out!

1  Thank Mike S

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I recently had dinner here. The food was excellent, we both had fish dishes and they were both tasty and well presented. Servings are not too huge either. Service was attentive without being intrusive. Although expensive, it was no more than what we expected at a big hotel in a resort in Hawaii.

Our only complaint, and it's not really a complaint, more an observation, is that given the hotel's location on an exquisite man made lagoon, it was surprising to us that their upscale restaurant is not on the water or at least situated so as to provide an ocean view. The outlook over the pools and garden is pretty but when in Hawaii and eating at an ocean front hotel I would have expected an ocean view restaurant.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We decided to have our wedding reception at Azul, and it was the best decision we ever made. We have never been to Oahu, but decided to have our wedding at Ko Olina. We had a beautiful wedding at the Aquavail Chapel and then completed our amazing night at Azul. Roberto was accommodating to our every request. We had a party of 22, and they gave us a private section of the patio, also laying out the tables how we wanted it. The food was incredible and the service fantastic. But most of all, it is the atmosphere and surrounding scenery that really made the night special. Most of the restaurant seating is on a open balcony in the middle of the amazing JW Marriott gardens and water pond. It had to be the most romantic restaurant we have ever been to. The experience of sitting with candle light while the tiki torches lit around us, listening to soft music, while eating the most amazing meal was an experience of a life time.
What was even better was that we saved so much more money by having our reception at Azul than if we would have done it at any of the hotels in Ko Olina. We checked out Roy's and other restaurants, and nothing compared to the elegant, scenic, and romantic atmosphere that Azul provided. I would suggest to anyone getting married in Ko Olina, to have the reception at Azul or if you just want to have the most romantic night of your life for any occasion, I suggest having dinner there. Thanks Roberto for a night that we will never forget.
Joseph and Katie

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Back in June, 2012 my family and I went to Azul and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and service so much that we ended up going there at least twice on that trip! The only bad thing about the restaurant was that the manager smelled like he took a bath in Black Mambo cologne! So when my wife and I came back to this area for a vacation, we looked forward to enjoying Azul. What a difference a year made!

My wife ordered the mushroom risotto, but she wanted to have the chili pepper on the risotto held as she had been ordered by her doctor to avoid anything that was possibly hot. Well the waiter came back with a menu and informed her that the mushrooms were already mixed with the chili pepper. and she should look on the menu to make another selection. It seemed strange to both of us that the mushrooms would already be mixed with the chili pepper as risotto is made to order unless is was made by batch or in the box!!
I ordered the chicken linguini and when I tasted it, it tasted like beef. I then asked my wife to taste it and she like beef too. I then asked the waiter is this chicken linguini, it tastes like beef? I was told that is the chicken without tasting it. Strangely enough after we left we found Azul had a similar version of this dish with beef! Hmmmm?
Another odd thing that happened was when we tried the bread on the table, it obviously was a piece of bread but it was barely wider than a bread stick...not crunchy and definitely not fresh. It made it difficult to spread or dip in the dry olive mixture.
The only thing we recognized from visit from last year was the overpowering smell of Black Mambo from the manager (gag)!
In short what happened to this restaurant? One thing for sure happened was Azul has changed chefs...and it appears the transition hasn'uwt been complete or gone well. So if you want expensive so so food and the waffling smell of Black Mambo over powering your meal this is the place to go. Personally I will go somewhere else!

1  Thank Lee W
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We used to love this place! Different Chef...much different food. My husband order a pasta dish with chicken and it came with a bolognese sauce...when he asked the waitress she said, "no,it's chicken." I tried it...it was beef. I had the fettucine...missing nutmeg and pepper in sauce...bland. My mushroom soup was great...my husband's caprese salad was missing dressing....dry tomatoes and cheese. Beautiful setting, nice music, food is reasonably priced...but food is not very good. Dry, not fresh bread served. Too bad. Bring Chef Pierre back!