“Beautiful facility...for kids.”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kapolei
Tucson, AZ
“Beautiful facility...for kids.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

A mixed experience. We had a high floor, 1 bedroom "mountain view" (no mountains, but marina, some ocean and an industrial park). The unit was beautiful and quiet until someone with a fussy toddler moved in next door; the noise goes right through the lock-off door. Parking is expensive and tight, the lot for our building filled up fast late in the day so many were forced to valet park. The pool areas are beautiful but noisy, children everywhere. The lagoon beaches are lovely, and the long walk area connecting all 4 lagoons. It is also an easy walk to golf clubhouse and Roy's restaurant, a bit farther to the Ko'Olina Station area with an ABC for provisions, Mexican restaurant, BBQ place and an ice cream shop.
If you need to get out of the city for a few days, this fits the bill. If you go to Hawaii to experience Hawaii, then Waikiki with surfers, outrigger canoes, traditional free hula shows, museums, zoo, aquarium, shopping is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank palmer101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

We just got back from 10 days on Oahu, 7 of which we stayed here. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children aged 6 and 4) and travelled with 2 other families - also 2 adults and 2 kids in the same age group. This place is PERFECT for so many travel-personas but it certainly fit us to a 'T'. We arrived on a Wednesday and left on a Wednesday, knowing ahead of time that they were going to be sold-out on Saturday so we kept our fingers crossed that a villa would open up that we could move into but in the end that was not the case. No big deal really. We made the most of it and explored the North Shore, Dole Plantation etc and spent an extra night in Waikiki.

SO - we got to experience the hotel twice, so to speak. Each time we had a 2-bedroom villa (for our family and one of the others. The 3rd family had their own 1-bedroom). Anyways - the first 3-day stay we had a view of the adjacent empty lot and the marina. While it's true that this is not the preferred view, I can honestly tell you I have seen much worse when it comes to 2 sides of a hotel. At least you can look far out and on to the horizon and not at a building that is across the street, for instance - so that really didn't bother us. The 2nd time, we had a room facing the pools below and the ocean in front of you. That being said, if you have a choice when booking, I strongly recommend the ocean side view. It will make your evening experience out on your lanai that much more enjoyable (or breakfast in the morning, for that matter).

So here's what we loved:
The pools - there are 3 of them and we only ever used 2. The 3rd is an adult ('quiet') pool. One pool we did use was the "lagoon" pool which has a sandy beach on one end. That's a first for me - never seen anything like it. Very cool!. It made it really easy for the adults to relax in the chaise-lounges, while watching the kids play with each other in knee-deep water (at the beach end). The other pool was a HUGE, free-form pool that had 2 tiers, connecting them with stairs, there was a grotto (like a tunnel) guarded by a waterfall on each side and there were even 2 hot-tubs fed by waterfalls (YES - a hote waterfall. Another first for me). We spent a great deal of time in and around these pools which allowed everyone to do what they wanted: ADULTS got to relax and watch the kids have fun, and the kids had a blast. OH - did I mention that the large, free-form pool has a waterslide??? It's a tunnel from top to bottom and it's pretty fun! My son had the same level of elation and same big smile on his face after his 30th time, that he had on his 1st time. He never got tired of it.

Beach - OK - so if you need a break from the pool, all you need to do is walk 30 seconds to the beach and VOILA! More chaise-lounges and glass-calm ocean water, thanks to the breakwater at the mouth of these lagoons. Granted they are man-made, but they sure are nice and there are lots of fish and even turtles in this bay. Although if you want to experience some better snorkelling, I suggest going over 1 bay (towards the JW Marriott). For whatever reason the water is less murky here and the visibility is much better.

The rooms were super spacious and accomodated us 8 (4 adults and 4 kids under the age of 6) very well. When we had to move out for 1 day, the bell team came and took all of our groceries in big rubber totes, and stored everything in fridges and freezers for us and when we came back, they delivered it to the room - it went really seamless. Kudos to them!

The resort grounds are GORGEOUS! Yes - it is spread out but I can't really make that a fault of the resort. You just need to remember to bring things with you from the room when you head to the pool or beach or it could be a small hike back to get whatever you forgot (sun screen, snorkel, snack, camera etc).

Service - we had some really great service from various departments. Yvette at the Front Desk was super accomodating. The bell and valet team were friendly, relaxed yet very helpful and the service around the pool (drinks and food) was top notch. I actually went out of my way to write down 3 people's names that I wanted to mention and am sad to say I misplaced that piece of paper. They deserved special mention for sure!

In a nutshell - it was PERFECT. Couldn't really find a fault and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Victoria_BCTall_Guy
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

I didn't end up leaving Hawaii purchasing a timeshare, in fact, I didn't even go to their informational meeting in which they offer free Fia Fia Luau tickets. But, if someone were to ask me which timeshare I would buy of any in the world, I might just choose this Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club.

This is our second time staying here, both times we stayed for six nights. The first and last are just travel days, so we basically had five full days of play. We have been tagalongs with extended family who own a Marriott timeshare. Both times, they had ease of exchanging their 2 bedroom/2 bath Marriott in California with this one in Hawaii.

Hawaii is such a easy jaunt over from California, why wouldn't you vacation there? November turned out to be a great time to travel. They said it was 90 percent full, but it was really not crowded at all. Last time, we went in January and it felt equally sparse.

This time, for some unknown reason, they upgraded us to a 3 bedroom/3 bath unit. It was heaven. This place was like a little mansion. We only slept six but we could have slept 10-12 people comfortably. (Three young families would have been perfect!).

On the property, the Fia Fia "fire show"/ luau was really well done. We saw the Paradise Cove one last year. And while the paradise cove had more activities, the food and the overall show was better on the Marriott property.

We had small kids and love their kids activities. We especially recommend the Kamiya race cars for the boys and the luau for the girls. The raft race is fun too. It's so easy to just hope out of your hotel room and go snorkeling too. Lots of fish and turtles if you just swim by the rocks. The kids just enjoy playing in the sand and swimming. But it is a little cold in November-January, so we enjoyed the spa too.

The bummer is that you pretty much have to drive everywhere if you want to take a day trip, but going to the north shore, Dole Plantation, and Pearl harbor were all doable. We steered clear of Waikiki this time because it felt like such a long drive. But on the flip hand, you are away from all the touristy spots and it feels like you have the island to yourself.

Don't pack much....washing machines are in every room. And if you forget something, there is always costco, target, and safeway in the next exit at Kapolei. We bought our own food and just cooked to keep cost low. Of course, if you want high end shopping, you will have to go to Waikiki.

I don't think this will be the last time we go to this resort. Perhaps next time we'll sit in their informational meeting. But since we know we like it so much, it's probably better if we don't.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank wipeoutsue
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Can't say enough about this place. Wonderful man-made lagoons that have no waves but constant ocean water. Beautiful beach areas and pool areas. Plenty of walking trail along the beach between JW Marriott and Ko Olina Beach Club and Marina. Amazing sunsets! Visited Waikiki for half day and it looked like a run-down place compared to this area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank uki_guy
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

Prior to staying here, we had spent 4 nights in Waikiki, which I was happy to leave behind due to the non-stop hustle and bustle. At Ko Olina, we rented a 1-bedroom villa (# 20510) on the 5th Floor. Extremely spacious, very upscale, with only very minor signs of wear and tear.

Although we had an "ocean view" room on the 5th Floor, our ocean "view" was blocked by the tops of the palm trees. Apparently, if you are a renter, the higher floors such as 8 and above (which have the best views) are reserved for Marriott Time Share owners. Parking is pricey at $30 per night but is apparently free if you are a Marriott Time Share owner.

The room did have one major design flaw. The a/c unit (a/c handler) is located in the bedroom, so it was a bit noisy in the bedroom (so that was a bit of an impediment to sleeping well.)

The lagoons are fabulous, like something out of a movie.

Be forewarned that a massive Disney resort is being built nearby, which will soon bring swarms of people and which could upset this peaceful balance.

Do your shopping ahead of time at the Safeway (just a short drive away) because the prices at the resort's mini-market are shockingly high.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Marriott Ko Olina if you're looking for a relaxing getaway for a week or more. It is great for a family, but even if you don't have a family, you will enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, the spacious accommodations, and the great views.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HodgesCat
Silicon Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

I stayed at the Marriott Ko Olina for only 2 nights quite recently, and wish I could have stayed much longer. I'd gotten a very good nightly rate directly from Marriott's website and was treated like a regular hotel guest--daily maid service, no timeshare presentation, etc. I'd been a bit confused about this beforehand. I had a one-bedroom villa (even though it was just for me), with a nice, modern full kitchen--granite countertops, modern lighting, full-size stove and frig., microwave--with appropriate dishes and cookware (although it's good to know that there will be only one day's coffee provided--with only two little packets of sugar, and none of the basics of cooking, like salt. So stock up before you get here if you plan to have coffee or any meals. I stopped at the Safeway in Kapolei, right on the way to Ko Olina from the airport).

The villa (more like a large one-bedroom apartment) was huge and very clean, although the design was a bit odd, and made getting to the bedroom a rather long walk through either the two bathrooms or through the living room and then an odd and rather useless small sunroom (or was it a very small den or a very small extra "bedroom" since the small loveseat might have folded out? I couldn't tell). The living room had a nice, new, large flat-screen TV, a comfortable couch to watch it from, and a couple of large sitting chairs. The dining area was part of the living room, and had a full-size dining table with 4 (or was it 6?) pretty comfortable upholstered chairs. There was a nice view of the resort when you were seated at the table or on the couch.The furniture was typical Hawaiian "tropical style" although a bit big, bulky, and dated. But everything seemed very clean and was generally comfortable. There was a very good size lanai, well designed to maximize privacy and with a small table and chairs as well as a lounger. I'd asked for an ocean view and would have liked to have been a couple of floors higher (I was on the 6th floor) to really be able to see the view over the balcony railings and the palm treetops. But if I stood up on the lanai, I had a wonderful and mostly unobstructed view of the resort and the lagoons/ocean, and I saw a couple of wonderful sunsets. The lanai had a glass partition up to about 2 feet high, so would be safe for children.

The bed was pretty comfortable, although perhaps just a bit too firm for my taste; a softer pillowtop would have been nice. The bedding was good quality and there were plenty of pillows (regular and European square ones). There was an older but good-size tube TV in the bedroom, although perhaps they'll be replacing it with another flatscreen. I liked the fact that by closing the sliding wooden doors in the bedroom and the wooden blinds in the connecting "sunroom" you could get the bedroom really dark for sleeping. The hotel was quiet at night, so again good for sleeping. The a/c in the villa worked well, although it was a little noisy in the bedroom, so I kept turning it off and on during the night (so that was a bit of an impediment to sleeping well).

The bathroom was really two bathrooms: one with a vanity and a nice walk-in shower and one with another vanity and a deep soaking tub. Being a shower person, I never used the tub (and wasn't sure how easy it would be for someone like me with bad knees to get in and out of it without any grab bars). There were wooden panels between the tub and the bedroom--for romance, I guess. This set-up with two sinks and vanities would be ideal for a couple or family. The shower head was old and apparently clogged, so sprayed a bit unevenly, but apart from that and a bit of water overflow from the glass shower door, the bathroom was very functional and very clean. The towels weren't the softest, but were very clean, in good shape, and reasonably large, and there were plenty of them

If you have any mobility issues, be aware that this resort is quite spread out. There are three towers now (and another one is pending, I think), so if your room/villa is not in the main tower (and mine wasn't), keep in mind that everything else is (restaurant, sundry store, computers, check-in desk, etc.). From my tower, it was actually a bit of a hike to the lagoons, which are past the pools. I never made it to the third of the 3 pools since it was the farthest away from my tower. The pool area, though, is very nice, with an adult pool and another pool catering more to children and families. There were also at least two hot tubs. There's a nice sandy beach by the nearest lagoon (the only one I tried), and beach chairs/loungers available. Although I'd thought that one could snorkel in at least some of the 4 lagoons there, the concierge said they'd really be too murky for snorkeling, so I didn't try. You borrow beach towels from a counter in the pool area and must return them before you leave (and they do have some snorkel equipment to rent). You can replace the towels whenever they get wet or dirty. You can also find some shaded sitting areas by the pools, too, if the Hawaiian sun and heat start to get to you.

The parking is pricey (about $30/day), although there seems to be plenty of it. Everything at the resort is pretty expensive. If you didn't bring a computer and therefore can't use the free wifi, it's 29 cents/minute to use the computers in the main tower's small business center. The Marketplace shop (for sundries, some food, and some tourist items) is over-priced, but I was glad to discover that a new ABC store (with a nice deli in it) had recently opened in the Ko Olina Station, a very short drive (or a long walk) from the hotel. There were a few small restaurants in this little strip mall, too, which I didn't try. The hotel's main restaurant is a steakhouse that seemed expensive (and didn't appeal to me as a non-meat-eater, although it says "Steak and Seafood") and then a more casual open-air bar and grill near the lagoons. They did offer free music one evening at the bar, but I didn't partake.

One thing to keep in mind here as in many other parts of Hawaii--most things (including the lobby) are open-air, so if you want to escape the heat and humidity, you're almost out of luck (except in your nicely air-conditioned room or villa). My research had suggested that the food might be better at the JW Marriott Ihilani (a short drive or long walk away from the Beach Club), so I went there one day for lunch at the Naupaka Terrace (with a 10% discount courtesy of the Aloha Desk at the Beach Club--worth a visit for coupons and a free tote). It, too, is open-air, but the food was pretty good and not badly priced for Hawaii. I also went to Roy's (part of the famous chain of Roy's) at the Ko Olina golf club near the hotel for lunch, and the food there was excellent. Roy's has a nice view of a lagoon or small lake with black swans in it, which I enjoyed watching. I'd recommend trying Roy's, although dinner prices are much higher than lunch.

All in all, I'd highly recommend the Marriott Ko Olina if you're looking for a relaxing getaway for a few days or a week or more, especially if you have a family, but even if you don't but value peace, quiet, spacious accommodations, and great views. I'm not sure how often one can get good nightly rates--especially if you want to stay less than a week--but I felt like it was well worth it. I was going to Honolulu for a conference right afterward, and really missed Ko Olina once I got into the Honolulu noise, crowds, and traffic. It was only about a 30-40 minute drive from the airport to Ko Olina, and although the north shore might be more lush (since Ko Olina is on the dry leeward side of Oahu), the resort is beautifully landscaped and relaxing, and the lagoons are really nice for safe swimming. The staff at the resort are very nice, too, and seem to have the Aloha spirit, too. I highly recommend staying here for those in search of relaxation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank marilano
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

My wife and I travelled with friends to Oahu and stayed at this Marriott time share and had a wonderful time. The property is beautiful and the employees are very helpful. Our room had a view of the sunset and each night we and our friends enjoyed wine, cheese and the view. Make sure you request an ocean view, otherwise your room would face away from the ocean and was certainly not as beautiful. There are several pools and of course the beaches. There are not a lot of places to eat, but a Roy's opened up near the Marriott and it is very good. We also found a great Mexican restaurant (Just Tacos) and an ice cream parlor (Two Scoops). The facility is NOT near Honolulu, so you need a car to travel the island.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MYandI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,637 reviews

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!