“Be forewarned. Expect time share mentality.”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kapolei
Atlanta, Georgia
“Be forewarned. Expect time share mentality.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

As a frequent Marriott customer and a frequent visitor to Oahu I decided to depart from my normal hotel (Turtle Bay) and try Ko Olina. I booked at the Beach Club, assuming that the level of service would be as a typical Marriott Hotel. Instead I discovered that the Beach Club caters to the Time Share user and gives the 'normal' traveler sub-standard service. I had to wait two hours for my room to get ready once I arrived. The room was half the size of a room at Turtle Bay. The shower is 2 ft 8 inches wide and has a shower curtain which translates to very cramped quarters. No room service offered and parking facilities are small to say the very least. It's back to Turtle Bay for me on my next visit.

6 Thank proudnewdad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Altadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

Let me preface by saying a 5 star hotel to my husband and I would be a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons Hotel. This, in my opinion, is not a 5 star accommodation. The rooms are nice and fairly spacious but are really quite generic. The towels are not fluffy and soft but very thin and scratchy. The toiletries are not nice either. They have a strange scent. I recommend bringing your own shampoo and soap. The large tub is not a jacuzzi tub and you will have to bring your own bath salts or bubble bath. The rooms are not cleaned every day but the trash is emptied and your towels are replaced. Personally, I think the floors should be vacumed and cleaned every day and the bathtub should be cleaned daily as well.

The room we had provided a beach front view but there is construction going on next door so you see the vacant lot and parking for the construction workers right out the window as well.

The food is very average. We could not find a chicken sandwich anywhere on this property. You have to go to the neighboring Ihilani hotel if you want a nice lunch or breakfast. We ate at Chuck's Steak House one night and we did not like it. We went to Morton's at Ala Moana later on. They also have a Ruth's Chris Steak House at Restaurant Row. You might eat at Roy's which is at the Golf Club at Ko Olina. The food there is good but the ambience is not that nice inside. Sit outside instead.

We drove into town everyday to eat and to go to all of our activities. The traffic in Honolulu has really increased in the last couple of years. It took us about an hour to get to Hanauma Bay at 7:00 AM.

If you want to just stay at the resort and not venture out, this is a good place to stay for families as it is not very expensive but if you want luxury and want to be closer to the action, then I would stay at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Better yet, just go to Maui and book a room at the Four Seasons.

• Liked — It was spacious and inexpensive.
  • Disliked — It is a long drive in traffic to the rest of the island
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bathtubbettie
Leesburg, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

I have stayed at many marriott's and had great experiences - unfortunately this was not one of them.

The good:
1 - Spacious two bedroom was perfect - high enough to get a water view which was nice
2 - Pools were nice, especially the Steam room and Sauna they have in the lockerrooms - very cool
3 - Lagoons were great for playing in - especially with Kids
4- Easy walk to the JW Marriott to see sharks and rays swimming in their hotel lagoons

The Not so good:
1 - I can not overestimate how distracting and annoying the construction is. We were there over Mom's day weekend and the construction happened every day. Imagine being in the lagoon and hearing the "BeepBeepBeep" of a backing up truck all day long. Honestly - I will not go back to this property until construction is complete.
2 - It is kind of remote - we spent a lot of time in the car to see anything - but that would be the same almost anywhere in Oahu
3 - It really is sandwiched between a power plant and an electrical plant - and it really is visually unappealling as you drive up. You dont notice once you are on property.
4 - It is a timeshare so you get solicited often and thats not necessarily they most relaxing thing.

Bottom line - dont even consider coming here unless you have small kids, and if you do - be prepared for construction on both sides of the property.

5 Thank Jasherrr
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2007

This is the best Luau in Oahu!! Chief Sileu Avela and his Samoan group are absolutely wonderful. The Chief is the best Fire Dancer in the world, and used to be at the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Besides the wonderful show, this Luau serves alcohol for those who enjoy it. The food is excellant, too. We had several salads and Lomi Lomi Salmon, and the main course was Kaluha Pork, Mahi Mahi in Pineapple Cream Sauce, and Teriyaki Beef. Of course there was Poi and Tarot Bread and Sweet Hawaiian Bread, and a wonderful desert table. For the youngsters, there was Chicken Nuggets, Spaghetti and Meatballs and Macaroni and Cheese. The show includes audience participation in a Kava Ceremony, Hula Dancing, and a salute to Honeymooners and Anniversery Celebrators. The Chief takes you on a tour of the Polynesian Islands and their customs. The Fire Dance is absolutely amazing. I highly reccommend this Luau if you are on Oahu.

30 Thank Tom O
orange county
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2007

My wife my 2 children and myself. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are excellent. With so many extras in the room itself. Great activities through the week.

The only problem is that it is so far away from everything unless you have a car you will not enjoy hawaii. I didnt rent a car and had little to do. Cars are expensive specially me being 24 and they wanted to charge me an extra fee eventhough my b-day is just a couple of days away. There is construction going around, little noisy but didnt notice only if i paid attention to it. They have activities in all 4 lagoons. Which are perfect for the little ones. Didnt see that many young couples, more older couples with no kids.
The Luau on Tuesday is great i would recommend it, the Chief is very funny. Although you can watch the entire thing without paying for it. We paid for the first one but just sat by the pool on the second one.
If you are looking for some action and many things to do, stay in Waikiki for sure. Young people will get bored.

It is a nice place, but probably won't go back again, unless I rent a car.

• Liked — Free internet,gergeous rooms
  • Disliked — Housekeeping, only once a week
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank aduran
indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2007

We checked in on May 4 stayed thru the 11th and this resort is fabulous!!! It is the best timeshare resort we have stayed at yet, loved it and plan to return. We were in a lock off unit and it was more comfortable than a hotel suite, clean with no view. The bed was very comfortable. The maintence at this resort is awesome, and owners are getting their monies worth. The landscaping is beautiful and we loved the walking path along the beach. We only dined at the resort once at the beach side restraunt and it was good comparable to TGI Fridays or Applebee's at home. We had a rental car from Advantage and had no problems with their service. Since this was our second trip to the Island we didnt repeat and do all the tourist tours. We relaxed and took in the beauty of the Island. We did go to Kuola Ranch and do the movie set tour. It was nice but over priced for what you see. We visited the Honolulu Zoo and it was nice, would be great for kids.

3 Thank Nila E
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2007

It was my first time to Oahu and really enjoyed staying off the beaten path. We really enjoyed our trip but there were a few things that we were told we just had to do and we were disappointed, so I'll share these with you as well. First the resort: Anyone staying here should rent a car, parking is easy and it makes for easy sightseeing and shopping. The front desk will give you quick directions to Kapolei if you need groceries, gas, etc. The property is beautiful and very well maintained. Although this is the dry side of the island, the resort is tropical. We ate at the steak house at the main building and enjoyed the food. The beach bar is good but we enjoyed lunch moreso from the pool grill that opens Thurs to the weekend and somewhere around noon, we loved their macaroni-potato salad. Everyone was very friendly. If your flight is long after check out, pack a bag with toiletries and change of clothes, hang out at the beach/pool and take advantage of the access to the locker room with shower and hairdryer. If you rent a convertible wear sunblock! We got comp tix to the Fia Fia Luau for attending the timeshare presentation. Kathie Rust was the person assigned to us - she was great. Very nice, really listened, no overkill. The luau was just ok. We didn't like the food and the show was mostly about tribes from different polynesian islands (their dress and dance). This came highly recommended by the girl at the welcome desk. She also highly recommended the drive to the north shore (ok, not great). It was a nice drive. We went to see the surfers and got lucky because it was a very windy day and waves were 17ft high and so they were out. Make sure you travel with a map. Signage is poor and I couldn't find the names of the beaches so guessed alot as to where we were. The North shore beaches do not appear to be conducive to swimming, and no one was in the water that day. The welcome desk girl highly recommended the Shrimp Truck (I read about it in books as well), we were not impressed. The real problem is you have to peel your own shrimp - which isn't easy when your shrimp is covered with sauce. Try it, if you like, just make sure you have lots of napkins! We drove through Haleiwa and, as directed, HAD to stop at Matsumotos ice shop. Not being great fans of the snow cone, we found the syrup to be extremely sweet and tossed ours. Again, if you're into that sort of thing you may love it! We felt like tourists in NY buying hot dogs from a street vendor, NY locals really don't do that. While we were up there we checked out the sacred site Puu O Mahuka Heiau, which was just interesting. Frommers listed it as having one of the best views - we found the view to be very limited. Highly recommend: When in the Honolulu area, definitely take the Tantalus drive to Puu Ualakaa State Park. You drive through a residential area and then a rain forest, which is beautiful. The state pk has a fantastic view of Diamond Head and Honolulu, it must be a secret because we were the only ones up there! We had it all to ourselves! It is VERY windy up there. When you leave the park you'll have to go back the way you came, as the road is closed ahead. Pearl Harbour is a must. We got there early (8:30am), as suggested, and the lines weren't bad at all. We got to look around for the 1 hour wait to take the boat across to the memorial. We also visited Mighty Mo and enjoyed that very much as well. We took the Ko Olina Cat Sunset Sail which I'm not sure I would recommend. The staff were very nice and attentive, but they take you along the shore, where there are power plants, so ahead the island looks nice but not most of it. What was fantastic - aside from the sunset - was that we were lucky to come upon a school of spinner dolphins. The captain immediately drove up to them and we had a wonderful time watching them. It was a great trip, but were it not for the dolphins.... I can't help but think that a sunset sail along Waikiki would have been nicer. All in all, if you plan to visit Oahu, and don't want to do the crowded city, overcrowded beach thing, by all means you will find a relaxing, comfortable vacation at Ko Olina!

Stayed April 2007
10 Thank keepnposted
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,641 reviews

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!