“Great place for family time!”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My husband and I just returned home from a wonderful week at Ko Olina Beach Club. We also took our two children ages 3 and 7. It was a great place to travel with our kids. The man made lagoons were great for swimming although there are no fish if you are planning on snorkeling! Plan on renting a car to see the rest of the island! We took great drives around the island including a drive to the North Shore and Honolulu. Cab rides are very expensive. It cost us $80.00 for the cab ride from the Airport to the resort. Also, avoid the poolside grill. VERY EXPENSIVE with poor food. The view is great but not worth the price to feed a family! We went to the resorts Luua "Fia, Fia" and our kids loved it. It was easy and simple to take the kids to since it was right on the property. We thought the entertainment was great. My husband and I spent a day at the spa and took the kids to the Keiki club at the JW Marriott. Our kids loved the camp. They received great care and loved the activities. The spa at the JW was okay but pricey for the level of service. Overall, we had a great time!!!!

14  Thank Jena B

Reviewed June 19, 2006

We were enticed by Marriott to visit Ko Olina with their 6 day, 5 night package for $748 which included Hertz rental and a $50 certificate. It would have been nice if they included the $7.29/day parking fee. We brought the kids (10 & 11) and we upgraded to a 1BR suite which was definitely worth the (meager) $100 upgrade fee! We also upgraded Hertz rental from subcompact to AWD SUV for only $5/day.

Note that the package doesn't specify whether you get an island or ocean view room. When I confirmed, they said we were getting an island room. When I requested an ocean view, they said it wasn't possible, but when we arrived they assigned us one. We got a room on the 11th floor looking southwest towards the marina, lagoon and the oil refinery. The West, NW views are the best.

We declined their timeshare tour (would have made $100 for a 90 minute tour). We've seen a lot of timeshares and this one was nice, but not great. Oahu really is the least fun of the islands. The oil refinery to the south and the constant noise of airliners overhead (in the flight path to land at HNL) were real turn-offs.

PROS: (1) Beautiful location if you can ignore the oil refinery. (2) Very friendly and helpful staff. (3) Fairly luxurious rooms. (4) Great pool areas, Jacuzzis, lagoons, massage tents, golf course, grounds, work-out rooms. (5) It’s not that far from Honolulu and only about 10 minutes to the nearest Safeway, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, McDonald’s off H1 freeway exit 1A/B, but still somewhat of a trek. We recommend stocking up at Wal-Mart or Safeway prior to arriving due to the relatively high grocery store prices elsewhere on the island. (6) The lagoon(s) are ultra-nice since they are man-made, have wave breaks so are protected from the open sea, and the beaches have perfect sand unlike Waikiki beaches which are rocky. (7) Housekeeping was great—they provided “tidy” service for free which was fine.

CONS: (1) the resort is right underneath the flight path of incoming airliners landing at Honolulu airport. (2) There is construction going on of adjacent releases. They weren't a problem unless you are at the lagoon, then you'd hear the constant (irritating) beep-beep-beep of trucks backing up incessantly--so not particularly peaceful and relaxing. (3) The food/drink options here are disappointing and minimal. The market has minimal marked-up items and the beach cafe is adequate but not great. There is no room service--I suppose because rooms have kitchens. They have buffets about 4 nights a week. Nice setting on the terrace, but the food was pretty average for the price. (4) Self parking is tough because it fills up fast and spaces are really packed in tight. (5) For good restaurant options and SPA you have to walk, drive, or shuttle to the JW Marriott. The Japanese restaurant was fabulous—get the buffet for $39—it rocks. The shuttle is free and takes you between the hotels in about 5-10 minutes, but the wait can be up to 15 minutes or more. (6) There did not seem to be pool service for drinks. The bar opened at 11am so we could not get smoothies or mixed drinks until then.

While there're no movies on demand in the rooms, you can rent DVDs in a convenient kiosk on the first floor near the market for only $5 a day which seems reasonable. A minor problem with this is that the one you want might be checked out by someone else and there is only a DVD player with the living room TV, not the bedroom TV.

In conclusion, Ko Olina was a great deal, but probably only worth a visit. Not sure we’d come back. We really love Maui and Kauai better. We're not quite sure why people would pay so much for a one week timeshare. It seems like a total scam to us.

28  Thank Jackpile
Reviewed June 17, 2006

I am highly suspicious of many of the "rave reviews" this property has been given. If you look at all the negative reviews-you get a true picture of this property.

NO WHERE TO EAT ON SITE but a tiny shack with horrible food.

NO ROOM SERVICE

NO AMMENTIES, NOTHING TO DO..JUST A CRUDDY POOL & A WORKOUT ROOM.

HOUSEKEEPING THAT IS SORELY LACKING.

NO NIGHT LIFE WHATSOEVER. When the sun goes down, it feels like lights-out in the Walton household. All you hear is crickets.

ISOLATED AS HELL! If you walk down the path at night, it's really dark and creepy. We made it a game to 'get to the other side' without getting jumped, ambushed by scary monsters etc. (The imagination really gets going when the winds pick up, the moon is out and you're in darkness.)

If you prefer isolation, at least stay at one of the properties at the 'other side of the path'. There was a lively fun crowd, music, restaurants, shops, etc. It was depressing to have to trek back to OUR property with NOTHING to do!

Marriot should design an attractive area near the beach for guests to congregate, eat, drink and talk after sundown. The few tables/chairs around the 'shack' just don't cut it. Sorry to be so harsh, but people NEED to know the truth!

• Stayed: April 2006
18  Thank love2travel5454
Reviewed June 12, 2006

We stayed for a week at the Ko Olina Marriott Beach Club June 2-9. Fabulous. We had a two bedroom/two bath unit with a full kitchen on the 11th floor of the Kona Tower. We asked for a harbor view because we like to watch the ships come in and out. We got a harbor view--but mostly it was an ocean view--fantastic!!!!!

Our unit was great. The furniture looked new and everything was spotless. The beds were to die for. There were four of us and it was very spacious and roomy. This was the third time we have stayed there. We had a wonderful time. We snorkeled in our little lagoon out front--we saw so many different types of fish. We also saw a couple of turtles.

This area of Oahu is pretty quiet. There's a Roy's nearby at the golf club and we ate there a couple of times. Mostly we cooked our meals and headed out to snorkel all around the island.
Yes, these are time shares--but for the enjoyment we get out of being here each year, we feel it is worth it.
If you want spa services or to eat a fancy meal, there is the JW Ihilani down the road.

Valet parking was $3 a day--a cheap price when you've got a load of groceries or snorkel/diving gear.

My only complaint--and since we didn't use the pool it wasn't much of a complaint--the resort doesn't stick by it's rules for the pool and spa. One night we found toddlers (without swim pants--in the adult spa at 10:00. Same with the pools.

Overall, we had a terrific experience. We'll be back again next year.

18  Thank Wootie
Reviewed June 2, 2006

My Wife and I are frequent travelers to Hawaii, mostly to Maui but we just couldn't pass up the $600 package for 5 nights in Oahu. I'm not a fan of Oahu, I think its crowded and if I wanted to go to Waikiki I would go to downtown San Diego to get a glimpse closer to home.

Ko"olina on the other hand is 30 minutes west of Honolulu and is a very quite sleepy little area with 4 man made lagoons which are extremely kid friendly. While my wife and I did not bring our 9 month old and 31/2 year old we almost wished we did because the lagoon's were like a lake.

The only downside is there are not many options for food and the cafe on the beach next to the pool is very mediocre, we found ourselves walking next door to the Marriott hotel and eating at their poolside cafe where the grilled fish sandwhich was to die for. For dinner you can go to the Marriott hotel next door, which I don't advised since the restaurants are overpriced and above average but nothing spectacular. Although on the other hand walking to dinner our last night and whathing the sunseet was one of the highlights of our trip. We headed into Waikiki for later dinners around 8p.m. and found it no problem. We also went into the local town where the Safeway is and had Boston North End Pizza which rivaled great pizza I've had in Manhattan.

All in all a beautiful resort, and if you're going to stay in Oahu the best option I've seen away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to get a glimpse if you want to.

• Stayed: May 2006
25  Thank strohdev
Reviewed May 16, 2006

I just returned from my first trip ever to Hawaii. I was expecting it to be fun, but this property turned this trip into the BEST vacation I have ever been on! I have worked in the hotel business for 5+ years and also had to travel for another job, so it takes a lot to impress me. The staff was top of the line. I was checked in by Sunshine (yes that's really her name) She was extraordinary pleasant and patiently answered all my questions. The bell staff was equally friendly and held our bags for us so that we could enjoy the day until we could check-in. All of the staff was helpful and did there very best to remember who you were. We ran into Sunshine later our first night at the Safeway, she immediately recognized us and said hello, she even let us use her Safeway card so that we didn't have to spend a small fortune on our groceries. Tracey at the hotel operator desk was always polite, friendly, professional, and friendly. They all did their best to make you feel like you were in your neighborhood back at home and surrounded by friends.

The property itself was amazing. You walk into an open air lobby and can see the ocean and the pools. The breeze was very refreshing and the quiet Hawaiian music help set the stage for a very soothing vacation. There is a peacefulness at this property that you can't find in Waikiki or Honolulu. The rooms were nice and well appointed. We stayed the first part of our stay in the new tower (#2) and the last half in the original tower. Both were nicely furnished. The older tower doesn't have the newest Flat screen (not flat panel) TV's like the new tower, but other than that all of the other amenities are pretty much identical.

As they have not completed the entire property there are something that aren't there yet. There are only two of the four or five pools that will be there, and where the marketplace (sundry shop) is right now there will eventually be another restaurant. The lagoons don't have the best array of fish to see yet, but in time they will be teaming with fish. The beaches are perfect for just sitting and watching the gorgeous sunsets or taking a swim. The entire property is kept very clean.

We went to the JW Marriott Ihilani hotel to eat one night, the food was decent, the ambiance fare, but that property pales in comparison to the beach club.

This was the only time in my life that when it came time for the vacation to be over I wasn't ready for it to end. I will definitely be back to this property, it is a good way to get away from it all and really enjoy your stay on Oahu. This property gets two enthusiastic thumbs up, five-star, a perfect 10. You can't go wrong with this property!

• Stayed: May 2006
30  Thank elcapoalto
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Wow, what a beautiful resort. We stayed here with my aunt who owns marriot timeshares and requested this place. I have been to plenty caribbean islands, but this far outweighs the beautifulness of the tropics.

The place was private yet resort like. When you were on the beach, it was never overcrowded, I guess that's due to the 4 lagoons they built. The manmade lagoons were perfect for my 2 & 3 year old, especially at lagoon 1 where they feed the fish every morning. They were nice and calm, no wakes and morning swims were so serene.

Their pools were also fantastic and very ingenious, they made a lagoon pool in one end and the other had enough of a shallow end for my kids to run in the pool. The shaved ice by the pools were great for the kids. Their jacuzzis were also great, especially at night when you can view the stars and hear the ocean. Everything was pristine, from the room to the grounds to the public lockers to the pools and even the beach. The massage cabanas looked so tempting on the beach. This place is simply beautiful in every way.

We even went to their luau which is called Fia Fia. The food was OK(not worth the $69 smacks we paid), but the show was very entertaining. Make sure to join the welcoming MaiTai party(free for a change), it was fun watching chief Sielu climb coconut trees and dance with fire.

The room was very updated with granite counters in the kitchen & bath. It was comfortable for our group of 8. The only bad thing was that the maid only came once to change the towels and make the beds. If you wanted anything such as extra sheets or pillows, you had to shell out. Yeah everything costs here, but then again you are in Hawaii. Some of the children programs were alright, but they shouldn't charge $5 for a child to fingerpaint. Burgers and hotdogs were costly at the pool bar, but if you walk down to the marina, you can get lunch really cheap. They sell 7Eleven type food for a lot less.

The walk to the JW Marriot Ihilani hotel was beautiful. The hotel itself is very nice especially their array of fish in their manmade acquarium. The grounds and pool do not compare to the beach club. The beach club is so much nicer and more family oriented. We are looking forward to going back for a longer period than just 1 week. It was THAT NICE!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
35  Thank zimilak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Prince Waikiki
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!