“Great Resort - Would Return”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Northfield, IL
“Great Resort - Would Return”
Reviewed December 25, 2008

This is simply a great place to spend a week or two. The rooms are top quality, the staff is friendly and helpful and the grounds are immaculate. Well thought out, georgeous, everything thought of. Here are a few tips: on your way there, go to the Safeway two exits before Ko'Olina and get everything you need. The restaurants on the premisis are excellent but way overpriced. Still, treat yourself to the breakfast at the outdoor cafe. It's awesome. Bring your own snorkel gear or buy it at the mini mart in the main building. Beware of the time share pitches. You can buy what they're selling online for half of what they're asking. Just check. Do the catamaran boat trip. It's a great experience. You'll see dolphins. Enjoy your time!

• Liked — location, scenery, convenience, comfort, food
  • Disliked — expensive restaurants, timeshare hustle
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank af847

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bull Mountain, OR
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We stayed for 8 nights in October. We had 2 bedrooms villa. The room was very spacious & actually can fit 6 people because of the sofa bed. And since our flight was early, we got there at 1PM – way before check in time. But the front desk let us store keep our luggage with the bell boy while we eat lunch. They called us about 2PM saying that our room was ready. We got the 7th floor.

We booked the garden view room, but we can see the ocean from our room. The view is great. And don’t worry about the construction as people warned you, it was actually quiet; I think they mostly done with the building construction.

The service is great; the employees are friendly. We always come home after 9PM so the parking building always full, but the valet people always kind & let us park on the front of the lobby; so it’s actually even better than valet parking =).

If you want to save money, you can go to Safeway (about 10 minutes from the hotel) and stock up. Enjoy the guava juice… in US mainland, the price for a can of Guava juice is 5x more than in Hawaii. However if you are looking for potato chips or salad dressing or cookies, they are much more expensive in Hawaii. If you desperately hungry for food and have no time to go to the store, you should try Kolohe’s Beach Bar & Grill located next to the lagoon. Fantastic place to eat while you enjoying the view of paradise.

We go to Hawaii every year and had tried all Marriott resorts in Oahu and Maui, but in this resort you will have private beach feeling. All Hawaiian beaches are public beach but because there is security check point to the resort not many people come to the Resort’s beaches. So you can enjoy the beach peacefully.

The lagoon is so beautiful and you can walk to see the other three lagoons. We snorkeled in the lagoon & you can see small beautiful coral fishes near the reef. Since there’s no strong current or waves, this is a perfect place for your kids to learn how to snorkel. And the swimming pool is perfect. You can rent the volleyball or the basketball for free. For toddlers and kids, they created mini beach pool. I don’t really like it since the sand is very rough. I prefer playing on the real beach.

During the sunset you can hear beautiful live Hawaiian song, enjoy the mai-tai while sitting on you beach chair… take a deep breath and enjoy that "life is perfect" feeling. We definitely are coming back to Marriott Resort on our next vacation to Oahu.

• Liked — Lagoon
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank SomadiTravelers
Portland OR
Reviewed December 11, 2008

I'm a Marriott Silver preferred member and I expect a lot from their properties. I had problems, and while most were addressed fairly promptly with courtesy, it's my opinion that they should not have happened at all. First my "ocean view" room looked out on a hillside and a high rise. I called the desk and they insisted that it WAS in an ocean view room. I actually started laughing because I could not see ANY water. Not even a pool. OK so with discussions from a manager, Mark, he "did me a favor" and did get me a room where I could see a sliver of water. The bell man never showed up to move my bags. I did it myself. After struggling for 2 nights in the new room on a sagging damp mattress with broken sides I did call the desk and they did send up a new one. But AGAIN: this should not have happened to begin with. When one is paying hundreds of dollars a night for a room, they should make sure the furnishings are top notch. The furnishings of these rooms are getting very tired. The room suffered from side to side as well as noise from above. When I called the desk for late checkout I was threatened with a 75 dollar fee and room key cut off. Bad attitude with a sing songy voice from Emily. I could not get into my room until 4 but they wanted me out by 10. In the end I won the argument. But when you are paying hundreds of dollars a night you should not be having such arguments, ESPECIALLY when in the end a late checkout WAS possible. You must rent a car to stay here. It';s an 80 dollar cab ride and there is no public transportation. Also you would be captive to their "company town" restaurants and Mini-Market paying extortionist prices for small crappy products. So they screw you for 27 dollar a night parking! Total rip off. Of course the pools appear nice and the beaches were immaculate. But that to me is to be EXPECTED. How would I fix this place? FIRE HALF THE PEOPLE. There are people with attitudes mulling around all over the place doing absolutely nothing. Put these people to work making a little free coffee for the guests in the lobby in the morning for example. Or fire them. Use the money you save from firing the idle staff to improve room quality and service.

• Liked — Beaches, Good Free Internet, and One Manager Mark who helped me
  • Disliked — Saggy Matress, Lousy Situated Room, Too Many Idle People, Noisy Room, Tired Furnishings
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank Worltravelah
Washington Township, NJ
Reviewed December 7, 2008

I am writing this review specifically to offset a previous review that panned this resort. My wife and I have two Marriott time share properties in Florida and Las Vegas. We traded one of our timeshares for a one-bedroom villa at the KoOlina resort. We really like Marriott because there is a consistent high quality to all of their resorts. KoOlina is no exception. First the service. We were welcomed graciously at the front door, the front desk and the valet who brought our luggage to our room. Each day we were greeted by every employee, whether passing in the hall, in the elevator or at any of the desks (front, consierge, pool side , valet or restaurants).
The villa was equally impressive - a large bedroom with a comfortable king bed. The bedroom had it's own terrace (lanai) fwith a view of the mountains and down to the lagoon pool. The living room had a large pull out couch, two large chairs a TV and a wide terrace facing the ocean. The dining room sat 6. We were on the 8th floor at the end of the buiding and had catheral ceilings throughout the villa. The rooms had digital AC/Heat controls and also large ceiling fans - so we were able to keep the villa at a very comfortable temperature.
There was a kitchen with granite countertops, side by side refridgerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher.
The grounds are kept pristine. There are lagoons with fish, two swimming pools with a beach area for children. There is also a lagoon right on the ocean. It is shaped like a horseshoe with the narrow end by the ocean. The ocean waves break before coming into the lagoon so it is great for swimming, snorkeling, or just floating in the water.
KoOlina is a full service resort that is at least a half hour by car from Honolulu. The good news is that it has everything onsite needed to have a great vacation. The bad news is that if you want to do sightseeing, the resort is a distance from everywhere. It took 45 minutes to drive to the North Shore where the surfing contests were (25-30 foot waves). Honolulu was a half hour drive without traffic. During the morning and evening rush hours, that time doubles - traffic is a nightmare. Waikiki Beach (40 minutes away) is worth the trip. It's the Rodeo Drive of Hawaii - you see people walking past stores in bikinis and carrying surf boards.
At the KoOlina resort, we ate at Chuck's Steak and Seafood restaurant. There is an included salad bar that was so-so. My wife and I both had the sirloin steaks which were very good. There is a mushroom side order that I would highly recommend (whole mushrooms in a rich brown sauce). We also had lunch at the cafe on the beach - sitting at oceanside. Food was very good.
Overall, KoOlina is a first class resort - with friendly, helpful staff and exceptional facilities.

• Liked — landscaping and views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank NJ-travelman
United States
Reviewed November 29, 2008

My family and I recently visited this resort and had a wonderful experience. This was our sixth trip to Hawaii and our first to Oahu. We chose this resort because we needed accommodations for a family of four and did not want to stay in Waikiki. We stayed in a beautifully decorated one bedroom "villa" which was just right for us. We had a full kitchen and an in-room washer and dryer which was most convenient. There are numerous outdoor barbecue grills that may be used by guests who so choose. The grounds are spacious and the beaches are sheltered which was perfect for the kids and adults alike. We also enjoyed the pools, which were lushly landscaped and kid-friendly. A plethora of daily on-site activities are listed, however we chose to explore the island on our own. The resort is about 30 minutes from the beautiful windward side of the island and 40 minutes from the north shore. Honolulu and Waikiki are about 35-40 minutes away, but beware heavy traffic at rush hour. We chose to dine in the room and at simple local restaurants and can recommend Hapa Grill, KOA pancake house, and L&L Drive Inn all about 10 minutes away for family fare. Everyone we met in the service industry was wonderful, from hotel staff to rental car staff to waitstaff at local restaurants. I would highly recommend this resort for a family vacation, particularly if you have a larger group of family and want to avoid the bustle and commercialism of Honolulu/Waikiki.

• Liked — Accomodate large famlies
  • Disliked — Distance to other parts of island
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank AnotherOpinion
WA
Reviewed November 19, 2008

I have read the reviews here and am astounded. Either the Marriott pays people to say nice things or there are more people out there that are elitists who are so blind that they can not see the seething underbelly of a company that utilizes practices where the staff are indentured servents. Perhaps the fake landscape and the piped in scents have eroded your humanity and you can not see that the staff are only nice to you because if they are not nice and as fake as the landscape then they will have to join the increasingly larger population of homeless lining the beaches.

First, I do not trust the Marriott as there was a gimmick everytime we turned around. It started after I booked the trip and bought the plane ticket. I had purchased a package deal and was never told that there would be additional charges. In all, I was charged 25% of the package cost in additional charges. I couldn't do anything because I had already paid and bought the ticket. But it felt unfair. We get to HI and I will say that Ko Olina was beautiful, initially. Beautiful flora and pools, nice smells and decent rooms. The staff are absolutely wonderful and everything is taken care of. So that is the initial impression and the elitists that love that place and will go back again apparently were only capable of seeing that.

Marriott is all about keeping all the money at the Marriott. If you do not book everything through the Conceirge then you will have to deal with the local people trying to make a buck (who can blame them) and pay even higher prices for a fake tour that has been so sanitized that you never get to take in the culture and ambiance of HI.

Then we sat through the presentation which is not high pressure but asked to speak to a manager because we were astounded at the seediness of the Marriott.

We sat down with a manager who said the following (I am not lying here and I was stunned). They do not like white people here on the island. We have built all these homeless shelters but they just won't go into them, they stay on the beaches and we are trying to push them further north. Stay away from the camps.

I was so stunned and never before in my life have I been so ashamed at being white. This man came to HI, was part of the massive commercialization that has raised prices so high that the people of the Island can no longer afford to live in a home on their own island. This same man and the Marriott have convinced people of the Island that this indentured servitude is good for them because it gives them a job and benefits and if they do not do everything they are told then they will have nothing. That this man would think that I am part of his hatred and prejudice.

After that we went to the "complimentary breakfast" the next day. Now first off, I have never stayed anywhere that the complimentary breakfast was not offered daily. Here it is Sunday and Monday. So we get our plates together and start to eat when the staff person comes to us and says that is the buffett and will be $13.99. I said the sign said it was on the first floor she said that was right but they had to move it. So I was offered the choice of paying or watching this food being thrown away. I was sickened by this cavilier attitude towards waste. I was already stunned that there isn't any recycling beng done. So we paid. Then the next day we saw the complimentary breakfast. People had to listen to a presentation to sell more stuff for over an hour so they could have a free half muffin and fruit with coffee and juice. With the Marriott, there is a catch for everything. They are slimy.

Places like the Marriott take from the people and the land and give nothing back that does not serve them. Those who associate with this company are no different.

One more thing, if you are as outraged as I am, please donate to a reputable charity in HI that serves the people of the Island and the many, many homeless that have resulted from white greed and avarice. Then I implore you to be as awakened as we were and support the homeless in your local community. It only takes a few bucks or a few hours and is a better way to spend time and money.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Resort
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank krylena
Seattle
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Last January my wife and I received an offer to visit the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club for a week at an incredible price. We took Marriott up on a similar offer in the early 90's when the Kauai property re-opened after Hurricane Iniki tore through the island. We had such a good time then we decided to do it again.

We absolutely fell in love with the Ko Olina property, the location, the staff and the other guests. I've used time-share properties that friends own in Vegas, but none of them compare in quality and value to the Marriott style. Since we didn't figure we'd be in the room much, we opted to take the smaller side suite, so we didn't see what a full villa looked like until the presentation. We were stunned to see what we had missed out on, but happy that our future trips there will include the full suite.

The grounds are sparkling clean, the rooms seem to have been recently updated. I found none of the soft or flat pillows you may read about in the other comments. Ours were a bit stiff at first, but we settled in nicely. The room we had overall was very comfortable, just right for the two of us. The fridge and microwave and service, even in the small room, was just right for us. Our favorite part of the day was early in the morning, just as the sun comes up. Open the door to the lanai and listen to the birds signing in the palm trees. Magical!

We went shopping here and there (Chinatown was a real find!) and used the grills every night and ate in our room, except the second night when we went to Fiu-Fiu. Fiu-Fiu, for those who haven't been, is a great dinner show. The Samoan chief and his family and co-stars in the show did a fabulous job, the food was great, the sunset in the lagoon behind us was awesome and the show went from 5-past 9 pm. We learned a lot about the culture of Hawaii and other South Seas islands that we didn't get at other luaus. We went to the marketplace in the lower lobby for our Starbuck's fix in the morning and by day two the gal serving us had our order memorized (impressive!).

Local shopping/restaurants is off of the highway at Exit 1B. Safeway is the anchor grocery store and its OK. Costco is being built there now (1 more off of I-2 and the big one is near Pearl Harbor) which will be fabulous. Costco in Oahu has lots of local flavor (8-10 kinds of fresh poke- a must try) plus all the regular Costco fare (plus beer, wine and liquor). That will make grilling at the Ko Olina even better. Most every chain fast food place is there and several chain restaurants too. Do yourself a huge favor and buy local fresh food and grill or cook in the room. Pineapple with anything is way better than McDonald's any day.

The pools are very nice. With the third tower opening early next year there will be a round-river type floating pool and a water-slide pool set up added to the two pools already there. One current pool has a sandy beach area and kids playground for the smaller set, there's a nice gym-workout room in the MAZE building and then there are 4 lagoons to sit by/swim in. The outer reef keeps the sharks out and the lagoon configuration means the tide cleans out the lagoon several times a day. Snorkeling is getting better as the reef is still growing in.

We didn't go this trip but everyone who went on the catamaran trips was raving about the sea life, turtles and dolphins.

If you go to Pearl Harbor, go EARLY (6:30 be in line) or you'll wait a couple of hours. By 10 am all tickets are usually gone.

Do your research online or get some travel books. There are lots of hidden gems on Oahu. Waikiki is Times Square/5th Avenue with palm trees. Not my cup of guava juice, but if you're into shopping, that's the place to go.

The other guests/owners we met were very nice, lots of families and what appeared to be retired folks.

We went into the presentation agreeing we were not buying anything, just sit through it and get back to the pool... halfway through the 90 minutes it dawned on us we'd be idiots not to sign up. It's extremely affordable and you can pass this on to your kids. Once it's paid for there is just an annual HOA fee.

We'll be back next fall for sure...

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, value
  • Disliked — Had to go home, could stay forever
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Lederhosen Larry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,741 reviews

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!