“beautiful, wonderful, relaxing!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“beautiful, wonderful, relaxing!”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is the first time we stayed at the Marriott, in Hawaii. The staff was friendly, personable, and incredible. The grounds are very well kept up., the reflection pool is for adults to relax and reflect, the beaches are beautiful and well kept. given flowers, water, information, dvd rentals, close to everything, shopping, golf, restaurants. The rooms were huge with a full kitchen, washer dryer, living space 2 bedrooms, 3 baths, balcony with a view of the ocean. ALOHA ! we will be back. yoga and fitness classes on the beach.

Room Tip: rooms by the ocean up high were quiet . we re on the top floor.
1 Thank stormk
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for your five-star review! We are happy to learn you and your family had a wonderful experience at Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club and are delighted to hear you will be back! Your comments regarding our staff will be shared with our team. We look forward to seeing you gain soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We just got back from a week's stay at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club and had a great time. We got checked in to our room pretty late (after 5pm) even though we arrived at 2pm, but other than that we had no real issues. Perhaps it was due to being early in the summer, but the resort did not seem crowded at all. There were always lots of lounge chairs to choose from at every pool and at the beach front lagoon. The staff here are fantastic! Your resort fee includes a lot of free activities, including several yoga and fitness classes every morning right on the beach (loved the PiYo instructor!), children's activities, and even some free things like roasting s'mores at the fire pit and movie on the lawn night. My 5 year-old was not tall enough to go down the slide without doing a swim test and he didn't pass the first try. The lifeguard bought him a shaved ice to try again and you better believe he kept his head down and passed the second try! All the children's staff were great in leading activities and watching kids on the slide. He must have gone down that slide 50 times! Our 10 year-old just really loved free roam of the pools and resort and we felt safe allowing him to do so. The lagoon is gorgeous; clean and safe without any waves. I estimated it to be about 200 meters wide as 10 laps took me about 30 minutes. The restaurants were so-so as far as the food, but service was great and even had an item taken off the bill one night because I commented that the scallops weren't hot enough. We chose this resort largely based on having a kitchen though so cooked in all breakfasts and lunches and about half our dinners, saving money in that regard. All in all, this is a great location on Oahu - short drive to Honolulu attractions and also easy to get up to the North Shore and do things like the PCC and Dole Plantation. Definitely stay here in Oahu and away from Waikiki.

Room Tip: Put in a request for a high floor early, though it may mean a later check-in time on your day of arr...
1 Thank DianeSB
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to learn you and your family enjoyed the resort and are delighted to learn your son was able to ride the slide after some motivation! Thank you for your comments regarding your experience and for staying at Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Hawaii!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Enjoyed a great 3 night stay as part of 9 night trip to Oahu/Maui. Great amenities and excellent service. Stayed at a Westin on 2nd leg and it underwhelmed compared to this. Pool area and beach cove very relaxed and plenty of room. Great atmosphere for kids and adults alike. Awesome 1.5 mile trail which is full of great views. Longboards food was excellent although breakfast buffet was pricey. Charlie's was expensive and food was just ok (how about a salad bar only dining option?). Very impressed by the friendliness of the staff, they made us feel special at every stop. Villas were awesome, so nice it didn't feel like a hotel at all. Excellent gym. Went into trip thinking the Westin experience in Maui would be the highlight but in reality we wish we'd have stayed at Ko Olina for the longer part of the trip. As for activities, recommend Discover Hawaii Tours. Kevin provided an excellent day for us, was a local and kept us a step ahead of everyone. Food at Just Tacos across the street was awesome. Best fajitas I've had. Overall, the kind of experience that I have come to expect and why I am a loyal Marriott Rewards member and stay at Marriott properties whenever possible. Had considered Aulani, which is right next door as we've also been impressed with the Disney experiences we've had in the past but glad we stayed here. I didn't observe anything uniquely Disney about Aulani and in talking to some folks that stayed there sounds like it was pricier as well. Highly recommend this property and will return if and when in Oahu again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club! We are thrilled to hear we exceeded your expectations during your stay in Hawaii! The villas indeed provide a homey atmosphere. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will stay with us on your next trip!
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We first visited the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club about 5 years ago, but after this recent visit, it wasn't what I remembered. If your focus is purely being in Hawaii, then I feel the location will do. My experience just didn't seem normal from when I was first contacted by the Pre-Arrival CSR. Let me say that I am a Marriott Vacation Club owner of a 2 bedroom ocean view at Surf Club in Aruba. I had a few questions so I decided to call to speak to someone instead of emailing back and forth..especially since no one had returned the email I sent 5 days earlier. I called and I was told that since I was an owner at the Marriott in Rhode Island and exchanging through Interval that I would be receiving a villa on the 5th floor or below, mountain facing. I stated that I don't own in Rhode Island and I wasn't sure if there was a vacation club location in Rhode Island. I was then told that they had 90% of home owners returning during my visit and that my request through Interval was recent so I would still get a room on the 5th floor or lower. I stated that our exchanged was confirmed through Interval back in November. I figured that since I hadn't converted my ownership into the points system, I would not get a room with a great view. I received a room in the main building on the 5th floor facing the marina. If I stood in the far left corner on the balcony, I would see a small part of the ocean. The room itself was average. I can honestly say that it was the worst room I've every stayed in at a Marriott Vacation Club location. We've visited locations within the US and Caribbean. Don't get me wrong, the worst at Marriott is still pretty good. It was not as nice as the newer building. During our first visit 5 years ago, we received a ocean view room on a higher floor in the newer building. So from my perspective, this stay was a downgrade. The furniture and carpet were older and the room was dark. One odd thing about the master bedroom was that there was no lock on the door.

I conducted an unofficial survey during my visit. Whenever I would get on an elevator and see someone push a button for a floor higher then 5, I would ask how long have they owned at the Beach Club. I think I only asked about 12 times during the week and only 1 family stated that they were owners there.

We arrived at 3:30 pm on Sunday and decided to see if our villa was ready for check-in. Only the studio portion was ready and we were given keys to that. We were told that they would call me when the 1 bedroom section was ready. I received a text message at 4:09 pm stating that my room was ready. By that time, the line at the front desk was long. The rep who signed us in at 3:30 did not mention that I didn't have to stand in that line again to get the new keys. Oh well, the 30 minute wait wasn't too bad. During check-in, we were told that since it was our anniversary, we would receive white wristbands and that staff would be asking us throughout the week about the special event. Between my wife and myself, only one person asked all week. It was a young man who worked in the Marketplace on Sunday evening.

In regards to activities, they are very different as compared to other Marriott locations. Yes, they do have a resort activities list, but it mostly consists of body toning, core workout, Zumba, stretch and relax, butts and guts, yoga, etc. events. There are daily fish feeding and some other similar events like wine bag making, black jack tourny, etc. They did have a few family events (bracelet weaving, ukulele lessons, etc.), but I would say that the majority of the activities revolved around working out.

In regards to location, if you want to have food or beverage options real close to the resort, then this is not the place. There is a plaza across the street from the Disney resort and the JW Marriott, but it's 1.25 miles from the beach club. The reason I know is that I asked the concierge what is the fasted way to walk there. I was told it was about 3 blocks once I walked to the end of the running path. That did not sound right to me, so I used my GPS running watch to measure the distance during a morning run. From the gate next to Longboards to the first building of shops was 1.25 miles. I thought food at the resort was on par with other resorts but drink cost were higher. During happy hour, beer was $6, Wine was $7, and tropical drinks were $8 ($12.75 non happy hour).

The water on the beach was calm and clear which was great. The pool with the slides had problems so the slides were closed for a few days. A staff member told us that there was a plan to add a lazy river, but he wasn't sure if it was going to happen. Bar service at the pools were very limited. There was a guy who walked around at the pool with the slides, but he seemed to focus on a very selected few. He would walk by like he didn't see us in front of him. That was really odd since the rest of the staff was really helpful and always seemed to be smiling. I think there was only one person working the pool near the gym also.

All in all, I would say that if you get a room with a view of the ocean in the newer building, your experience will be better. For us, we probably will not return to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. This may not be the case, but after this visit (for the first time) I felt like Marriott no longer cared about our experience. It felt like they were saying here take this and leave us alone...you're in Hawaii aren't you...we already have your money from your purchase.

7 Thank Ravens67
Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club. As a Marriott Vacation Club owner, we take your feedback seriously and apologize your visit did not exceed your expectations. Our Customer Care team would be happy to review your concerns with you and may be reached at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is our second stay in Ko'Olina. Our first trip was about 7 years ago and we vacationed at the JW Marriott just up the way (about 15 minutes up the paved walking path along the beach). So, it was nice being able to compare the two!

One of the most important components for our family is the BEACH as we are from Colorado and of course have no beach! Both the Beach Club & the JW are stunningly situated on lovely protected coves. You are a mere seconds away from walking out the back of either hotel to having your toes in the sand & ocean. The Beach Club definitely offers a more serene experience as the JW SHARES its cove with the Disney Aulani Hotel guests (high energy place). We actually would have preferred to have some of the options that seemed more readily available on the JW/Aulani cove (i.e. snorkel & paddle board rentals). However, when it was time for relaxing...the Beach Club is where it is at! Both coves are heavily protected from any surf, so don't plan on ANY waves. It is great for soaking up the sun, a nice dip & swim, but no surfing action here. You will have to drive to a different beach for waves. Our favorite is about an hour drive to Sunset Beach on the north shore! However, the two resorts work well together and if you are willing to walk up to the JW, they will rent you any equipment you like.

We had a 2-bedroom/2-bath unit which was great as there were 7 of us..yep SEVEN! I thought we'd be tripping over each other, but there was actually plenty of space and the floorplan was excellent and spotless. We utilized the grills, provided in front of each building, one evening. We'd had a successful fishing excursion & brought the catch back to grill for dinner! The kitchen had everything we needed as far as cooking & prep utensils.

We purchased a myriad of snacks for the week at a grocery store about 10 minutes away, but ate most of the main meals out at local restaurants as those on site are very limited. There is the marketplace which is essentially a deli counter. Longboards (beach diner) is open for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. Lastly, there is Chuck's (seafood & steakhouse) which is open only for Dinner. All menu's are relatively limited, but the food was good. There was better food to be found elsewhere. Roy's at the Ko'Olina Golf Course is AMAZING. You will pay a bundle, but you won't get any better! We also went to the Signature restaurant at the Disney Aulani (STUNNING VIEWS - OK food) and Azul at the JW (REALLY GOOD). If you have time to drive up to the North Shore...book dinner reservations at Ewa (right on the beach at the Turtle Bay resort)!

My only complaint was the location of our room...our lanai was directly above the entrance to the valet/roundabout. Although it was interesting at times...we REALLY wanted an ocean view and had requested it 6 months earlier. Any view had to have been better than looking at asphalt & every vehicle coming in/out of the resort. There was absolutely no flex when we checked in...that was the room we were assigned and there was nothing to be done about it when we immediately requested a move. The staff seemed genuinely apologetic and I'm still grateful for our time there, don't get me wrong!

As the Ko'Olina location is not really located near ANYTHING, you will need a car if you plan on leaving the resort. You can rent from the car rental agency located within the Beach Club, but it is more expensive and you aren’t guaranteed a vehicle unless you reserve it well in advance. We found it most economical to rent a car at the airport for the week. It turned out to be a huge bonus as we used it regularly! However, if you plan on staying in Ko'Olina, there is a free shuttle that runs every half hour from the Beach Club to the other major Ko’Olina resorts (Disney, JW, one other), the Golf Course (Roy's), and the marina. We used this on several occasions.

OK...that's it..enjoy!!!

7 Thank Erika D
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the many amenities at the resort including the size of your villa and are glad everyone was comfortable. We are sorry we were unable to accommodate an ocean view but hope next time one will be available! Thank you again for your review and we hope you visit us again soon at Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club!
Winterset, Iowa
Reviewed June 22, 2014

From the valet to the concierge, to the wait staff we had good service throughout. One exception - We were told on check in that we had a view of the water. We asked 6 times and each time the front desk clerk hedged until the last time he said "yes you can see the water from the room". I should have know. Even standing on one of the chairs on the small balcony nothing could be seen except the parking lot and bushes. We were on the ground floor which made it nice to head right out to the beach but there was no view at all. I would have loved to get up in the morning and go out with a cup of coffee and look at the ocean. I could have of course gone all the way back to the front desk with our bags and asked to be moved so ultimately it was my choice. I liked being within walking distance of places to eat and the small grocery store. There is a shuttle but we never used it as we walked. The grounds are wonderful and if you have children it is great as the beach slopes gently and there are plenty of pools, etc.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear your stay at Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club was relaxing and enjoyable. We apologize for your inconvenience regarding the view of your villa and will share your comments with the appropriate managers. Thanks again for your review and the nice pictures! We hope to see you in Hawaii again soon!
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had a beautiful, large, two bedroom unit which included a "office" area to setup our computer. there were two lanais as well. Everything was clean and bright. the kitchen was well-stocked with everything you need. The best thing about the resort is the activities that are "FREE" - yup - no "resort fee"! there were yoga classes, aquatic aerobics, pilates and many classes for the kids. The fitness center is one of the best I've seen. With numerous pools - including slides (on one) and a "reflection" pool for those who want to read in peace and quiet -to another with a volleyball net. Also, there is a man-made lagoon if you want to swim in the ocean and not worry about the current and wave action. The staff was very helpful and friendly. This is the BEST place to stay and NOT go into Waikiki.

Room Tip: There are 3 towers, the Hale Kona building overlooks the pool on one side and other side of building...
1 Thank dotster2014
Thank you for your five-star TripAdvisor review of Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club! It is great to hear you and your family enjoyed yourselves and took advantage of the resort activities! We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Hawaii!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,741 reviews

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!