“Magnificant!”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
“Magnificant!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Since we live in NJ, Hawaii was on my husbands bucket list. Needless to say expectations were very high since we are Marriott owners and expect special privileges when we trade within the Marriott fam. Well The Marriott Ko Olina didnt disappoint! Im not sure if its a new process for Marriott or just this resort but I was very pleased I was contacted to ask if we had any special room requests. It takes away from my experience if I dont have oceanview so I requested it and a high floor. I also called room control and got the standard answer that I am scheduled for mountainview and resort owners rarely give up their villas.Since I was in the area a few days prior I made sure to check in early around noon hoping I would get a better chance of a oceanview. I received the call my room was ready and I had an excellent poolview 10th floor Hale building. I was so thrilled that nothing could put a cloud over my experience since I had a beautiful pool view and OCEANVIEW!!!Thanks so much. I cant wait to return(:

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank trbpt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you're good with being away from Waikiki with your family this is a great place to go. I went during what I consider the off season (March) and it was fairly full, as far as chairs by the pool and on the beach. A great place for families, especially with the Disney property right next door. The North shore and Dole Plantation were 20-30 minutes away and a trip over to Kailua Beach was 30 minutes. Kailua is a great calm family beach.

Room Tip: The best choice of rooms comes if you're a Ko Olina owner, if you trade through RCI or Interval...
1 Thank 2Gunnys
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Aloha! Our team is thrilled to read your five-star Tripadvisor review! We look forward to welcoming you back to Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club in the near future.
Potomac Falls, VA
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was our 2nd visit to the Ko Olina property and we stayed for 10 nights. The 1-BR suites have a full kitchen and are set up for four with the queen-size pull out couch in the living room. Lots to do at the resort and some activities are great. The nightly "stargazing" on the lawn is an hour of amazing views via a remarkable telescope and a detailed narration by a NASA certified astronomer. Tours arranged by the concierge are run by "VIP" and our Circle-Island venture took an entire day and was extremely well managed by "Bud." I expect he averaged almost five facts per mile, all interesting, and usually directly related to the next view out the windows. Lots of stops and picture opportunities. The spa at the Beach Club is fine, but the nearby JW Marriott facility rivals the best we've encountered. You can read elsewhere about the restaurants, but the grills are maintained well and there's ample equipment in the full kitchen to prepare whatever you wish. If you take advantage of the concierge team, you'll be glad; they're well informed, efficient, and enjoy what they do. In our evaluation of the stay, we cited Denise Sofa as the premier employee we dealt with during our stay. Finally, there's the golf: a super resort course with diverse holes, lots of water and sand, and tiny greens that seem to defy analysis.

Room Tip: The parking is tough in the parking garages but there's an outdoor lot on the far side of the no...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mack G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just stayed at this property for Spring Break 2014. We were in two bedroom villa, on an upper floor with a beach view. This property is awesome! The villas were very will appointed and very nice. Beds were the same high end mattresses they use at the other high end Marriotts. My family of four and my parents all shared one villa. There was plenty of space for everyone. The pool was a little crowded at times, but it was spring break. There was plent of room at the beach though. The property offers daily activities that you can participate in, however we spent alot of our days out touring the island. At first I was a little dismayed that they didnt offer things like paddleboarding in the cove next to the resort. Its available at the JW & Disney resorts a short walk down the beach. I quickly found out why the dont offer! The cove at the JW had no less than 500 people swimming, paddle boarding, kaying, etc. in the water. It looked like the wave pool at a water park. My advice: stay at the beach club and walk down to the JW Marriott if you want those activities.

The cove itself is just ok. Its man made and has not been there very long so not many fish have gathered, so snorkeling is not that great but there are other spots in the area.

The pool is very nice with waterfalls, slides, etc.. If you have younger children they will be entertained for days. Teenagers will get bored, but I honestly dont know of anyplace they dont get bored.

Service is very good. When you check in they point you to the Aloha desk. Terrance was the name of the guy who helped us and he was outstanding. Obviously loved his job and the island. We had one issue with the air conditioner at check in but they had someone up within five minutes to fix. Staff at all the restrauntants, front desk, cleaning staff, really everywhere was very friendly.

I stay at various Marriott brands about 150 nights per year for business and most of my vacations are at Marriott so I know the brand pretty well. As far as an overall, family friendly, vacation resort I would put this towards the top.

The only gripes I would have would be:
1) We went to a Luau on the property. It was outstanding! Great show, food was better than most buffetts. However, its my understaning this is going away. I think this is a mistake because its a great way to introduce mainlanders to island culture and its right there at the resort. If I didnt want to spend most of my time at the resort I would have just booked a regular hotel.
2) Its a vacation club property. They are not overly pushy on trying to get you to go to a presentation but they do ask several times.

Room Tip: If you pay for the beach view then I believe there are beach view rooms on both sides, you want the...
1 Thank egghere
Aloha and thank you for visiting Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club! We truly appreciate your positive review and thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We look forward to your next stay in Hawaii!
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki Beach, Ko Olina is an oasis of peace and relaxation. The rooms at the Marriott Beach Club are huge, we always stay here in a 2 bedroom unit in the building closest to the Marina. On this visit we were offered a similar suite at the building closest to Disney's Aulani Resort but found the room there visibly smaller, further away from the water and (although well maintained) obviously built earlier than the one to the far south so we moved back.

These 2 bedroom units are perfect for my wife and myself plus my daughter's family (my son-in-law and 2 grandchildren). These units are part of Marriott's time share properties, you will receive an invitation to attend their sales presentation but it's not overtly high pressure and yes, you will be rewarded for your time spent. Every time we stay here we go to nearby Costco and buy some prime steaks which be BBQ at the BBQ area beside the building, the only downside to the gas BBQs provided is that they only have 2 burners and they do not come with thermometers so you have to watch your meal very closely during the whole process.

We've tried all the on site restaurants, unfortunately none of them are outstanding nor do they offer value for money. They have a weekly BBQ dinner here at Longboard's Bar and Grill, it was very disappointing, save your money and avoid this at all costs. Perhaps I had overly high expectations but it was very disappointing even for the kids. Stay here for the lagoon, the pools, the facilities, the rooms, food is not their forté.

Room Tip: The building to the south of the Kona building where you check in is newer and better than the build...
2 Thank Phil T
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Enjoyed my stay at the hotel. I have stayed here on several occasions. That should say enough, if I keep coming back, I obviously enjoy the place. There is plenty to do on the island and the water is warm.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James J
It is always rewarding to hear when we have exceeded our guest's expectations! We appreciate your positive review and thank you for choosing to stay with us in Hawaii. Please come visit again soon at Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club!
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for a week in mid-February and had booked the resort as a last minute trip, desperately wanting to get somewhere warm and beachy in the middle of winter. We ended up being so happy with our decision to stay at the Ko Olina Beach Club.

We rented a 1-bedroom villa and it was huge and felt so homey. The unit itself was very nice with an excellent kitchen, living room, bedroom and great bathroom (terrific soaker tub!) We rented an ocean view unit and were not at all disappointed. I noticed complaints from previous guests who said they weren't aware of the parking fees or that the units weren't available until 4:00 p.m. on the day of check-in. I did not experience this at all. Marriott sent me no fewer than two emails explaining what I should expect (view might be partial ocean, parking costs, no early check in or late check out, don't expect upgrades and upper floors were reserved for owners), so I don't know how it could be at all possible to not be aware of how the operation works.

Our check-in experience was very fast and our bags were delivered to our room within minutes. We were in the Kona tower and thought it was terrifically located -- we especially loved the proximity to the reflection pool. It was my mom and me traveling and we were not keen on the idea of tons of kids running around screaming and we were so grateful to not experience that at all. All the children we encountered were extremely well-behaved and monitored closely by their parents. We attended the luau on Tuesday evening and really enjoyed it. It is pricey, but worth it if you haven't been to a luau before. I saw reviews that suggested booking the luau well in advance of your trip (which we did) to ensure the best seating possible. We were at a table at the very front, right near the center of the stage. If you want to be near the stage, book early.

The resort really encourages you to cook in your room and there are only two restaurants on the premises. We had drinks and lunch at Longboards a few times and, while expensive, it was good. We did not eat at the steak restaurant onsite.

We thoroughly enjoyed the lagoon and rented a cabana a few days of our visit. We also loved walking along the boardwalk between lagoons 1-4. There are three other resorts on the Ko Onlina resort property - JW Marriott, Disney and Ko Online Beach Villas. We could not have been happier with our choice to stay at the Marriott Ko Onlina Beach Club. I will definitely return, hopefully next January with my hubby.

This resort is in a quiet area of the island -- do not expect loud parties or a party-like atmosphere. In fact, the bars in the area had "last call" at 9:45. If you are looking for an experience like Waikiki Beach, stay in Waikiki as this is not the place for you.

If you plan to tour the island, you may want a car; however, you can also take SpeediShuttle to and from the airport and just rent a car directly at the resort (Enterprise at this location or Hertz at the JW Marriott-within walking distance) and pay for the day(s) you want a car. It is not 100% necessary to have a car while staying here, unless you plan to do lots of daytime activities away from the resort.

I would definitely recommend the Ko Olina Beach Club for those wanting a fabulous Hawaiian vacation.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, book it. Do not expect an upgrade as they are not offered, regardle...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank iluvzbeach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!