“Paradise off from Waikiki”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stay ko olina for week in 2 one bed room units - love the place, room are standard Marriott. Vacation club - roomy, clean, high end stuff, comfortable bed...
Love the location- we are not a Oahu people(we come to Hawaii every year but we been this island in 20 years since it is very like San Diego to me) but love ko olina it feels like it is far from hustle and bustle from busy Waikiki sin, it feels like we are in different island :) and that was best part
Lagoon is men made water is always calm and nice to swim, relax, play with send...
We would defenally go back

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank lovehawaiigirl
There are newer reviews for Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Although we are here over Christmas and it is full, we never feel crowded or rushed. The pools and landscape is exactly what you'd hope for at a Hawaiin resort. There is a wonderful 1.5 miles path linking several resorts in ko olina. After looking at the other resorts, we feel we have the best location by far!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Yogibear22
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I are original owners and have stayed every year during the holiday season since the property opened in 2004 and WE LOVE IT! We always get a call a week or two before our arrival to check on special needs, requests and amenities and everything we ask for is always there on arrival. The staff is always super friendly and the property is immaculate and well maintained. If you're looking for a Waikiki experience this isn't it and we're glad it isn't! Don't get me wrong-I love Waikiki in small doses and we always go into town 2-3 times during our stays for dinner and shopping, but relish the drive back to peace and serenity. This year we have an 8th floor ocean view one bedroom in the Moana Tower and it's just perfect-AS ALWAYS!

8  Thank romadaro
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I have a timeshare here and went this year with just the two of us. We had a penthouse, full kitchen,1 bdrm villa(we traded the lockoff for a ski trip this year), with a view of the golf course. I was disappointed to not have an ocean view but it was actually quite a beautiful view as well. It was very windy the entire 7 days but we still enjoyed the trip. This is really a perfect resort. Over the years I've had a few minor complaints but nothing major or consistent. The restaurants are pricey but considering that it's an upscale resort, nothing more than I'd expect. The lagoons are nice and calm even in winter, and the landscape provides a nice quiet atmosphere. If kids bother you then the reflection pool is quiet and the hidden jacuzzi next to it, (the one near the stage at Longboards.) Going in wintertime was a treat as the place is decorated for Christmas and is really beautiful. There are lots of places to walk here and now they've got a market at Ko Olina and some small restaurants and businesses opening up within walking distance. There's a Taco restaurant, a Hawaiian barbecue,and an ice-cream shop. I'd like to see a coffee-shop too. A locally owned one would be nice, rather than Starbucks.
Parking has not been a problem for us yet, but spaces are small so we try to get a smaller rental car.
If I had small children I'd probably go to Disney's Aulani on lagoon 1, just because I think I'd be in trouble when they see how awesome the place is for kids. But Ko Olina is great too (without the Disney magic.)
The waterfall, cave and slide pool this time were much warmer than the other pools and I thought the jacuzzis were super scalding hot. But I'd rather have them too hot than too cool. Also this year everything seemed very clean which was nice. They do a great job of this and the staff is very friendly.
One tip I have is that if you plan to swim in the ocean, before you book your trip check the jellyfish calendar for peak box jellyfish times and plan accordingly. You can do a search for it. I wouldn't want to be in the water at these times. Ten days after a full moon they swarm to the leeward side although I've actually only seen them on the beaches on the windward side of the island.

4  Thank Katie S
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The staff is friendly and helpful. And we echo the comments made by the other TA members, it is a beautiful vacation spot for a relaxing holiday.

For folks who crave the city bustle, this is not it. Definitely, Waikiki would be a better choice for them.

Ko Olina is only 30 minutes away from the airport/Waikiki, but during peak hours, it can be a 1 hour drive. We were in Hilo, Big Island before this leg of our vacation, and by comparison, the traffic on Oahu is horrendous. We made two trips to Waikiki and in 3 of the 4 drives, we were in traffic, crawling traffic from the moment we moved in the highway all the way till Pearl City! The only time we were not in traffic was when we left Ala Moana Center for "home" on a Sunday at 4pm. However, we did notice, the traffic then was the other way ie into the city. Once, we departed at 7:30 am for the North Shore for surfing, we even encountered a little traffic from Ko Olina to the North Shore!

The children's pool, where the waterfalls and slide is, is sheltered by the buildings in the morning. So you don't have to worry about the sun. And interestingly, the pool is warmer than the water in the lagoons. So again, no concerns about cold pool water in the morning! Do take note, the slide opens only at 10 am, there will be a staff on duty to ensure safety and that only one kid is on the slide at any one time. You might want to bring your own inflatable raft. Some of the families did just that and they certainly had fun.

The pool on the other end, where the fitness center and spa is, had a basket ball hoop and a net. And they have a couple of balls you can borrow. I would recommend bringing your own, as the "rental" time (it's free) seem to run into a hour or more.

There is also a quiet pool for adults. This is next to the fitness center and has both sunny and shaded areas which is excellent.

The beach club is next to lagoon #3. On the left is lagoon #4 - this is no resort attached to it, probably slated for further developments. Lagoon #2 on the right is next to another beach club. And Lagoon #1 is shared by JW Marriott and DIsney's Aulani. There is a beautiful pathway linking all the lagoons and is great for walking and jogging. And you can see the sunsets here.

Fish feeding organized by the beach club takes place every morning at Lagoon #1. I believe it is 7:30am. The lagoons are man-made and safe. We snorkeled at Lagoon #3. You can see some fish, even the green turtles, but have to patient or lucky!

There is a shuttle that takes you to JW Marriott. They do a great dinner there. Or you could walk via the lagoons walkway. Open access for Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club and JW Marriott from the beach to the hotel proper. For the other beach club and Aulani, they are gated and you cannot access from the beach. I understand that there is a huge aquarium in Aulani that is worth seeing. But we did not do that.

Lastly, the car park lots are small. If a driver parks badly ie on the line, you basically cannot park next to him!

I had noticed a couple of postings by Marriott Reward members who are gold members, who had stayed and of course were disappointed that their gold rating seem to count for nothing in Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. I am a member of Marriott's Vacation Club and am familiar with how the vacation clubs are run. I hope the following statements will help. Yes, the vacation clubs are part of the Marriott's group. But because they are full service apartments, notice that Marriott does not call them rooms but villas, logistically, they are a different animal. So please do not expect late check out, it can't be done, even for us who are time share owners. And the villa configurations are studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc. There is no configuration equivalent to king bed room, or twin bed room. I mean you cannot request for a studio with a king bed or a studio with twin beds, etc. Do note that as timeshare owners, we have to use more points for a ocean facing villa and we can book at far ahead as one year. So again, if as gold members you don't get your request for an ocean facing room, do understand that your request (free request) for an ocean view will be queued behind our request which we pay for and which we may have booked months ahead for!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank SpringZephyr
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Spent 2 weeks here with my husband in a 2 bedroom, 8th floor, ocean view, in the newest wing which opened June 2012.

Absolutely loved the view, the beautiful resort, cleanliness, lots of activities, the fitness center, restaurants, etc. Late at night, many nights, I just sat on the lanai and listened to the ocean.

No problems parking, staff extremely friendly, mid-week cleaning which includes new towels & replacement of soaps/tissues/etc.

Few nights walked down to JW Marriott for their seafood buffet-great!

Perfect time to visit with all the beautiful decorations for Christmas.

Really did not want to leave this resort!!!! Great job, Marriott!

Room Tip: Ocean view stunning if you can book one.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is where we will be staying if we come back to Hawaii the atmosphere is relaxing and the views are stunning! Loved everything from valet parking to the shops! I loved our stay and our kids had so much fun at the resort. Our room had the ocean view so it was amazing!

Room Tip: The paradise lua is next door and so is the Disney aulani so we has the character breakfast as well
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank QuadCowgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!