“Great resort!”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a two bedroom, two bath villa. We had asked for an ocean view, we got a room with a marina view and a little ocean view, but it was still beautiful.. The only thing we wished is that the lanai was a little bigger. Other than that, the room was clean and looked like it was new, the staff was very friendly and helpful. On the property there are 3 different pool areas -- one called the "Reflection Pool" (quiet area) which was great when you wanted to get away from the noise. Even though it was a large resort, we never felt like there were a lot of people there, never felt rushed. We were so glad we stayed there rather than on Waikiki with all the downtown rush of Honolulu. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank miracle2012
Write a ReviewReviews (3,158)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here for the second half of our honeymoon and we loved it! I do have to mention that I wasnt pleased with the first room we got. We paid for an oceanfront room and the first room faced the other tower not my idea of oceanview. My husband then went down to talk to them and they said no problem we can switch rooms. After having to hang out for a couple of hours we got into our new room and loved it! Beautiful view of the amazing ocean and pools from the 9th floor. Only other down side was the price of food but the rooms come with kitchens so you can go to the store an purchase food. We will definintly stay again!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank JayLT
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Let me start by mentioning we are Marriott owners at the Maui Ocean Club. I have never been fond of Oahu because my prior experiences were centered around Honolulu and Waikiki which is just too crowded for my vacationing tastes. We banked our lock-off studio in Maui through II and matched at the Ko Olina. We are parents of 3 young children, and this was our first trip SANS children in 4 years, so I was pretty excited. We received a call the week prior from the resort mentioning that due to "limited inventory, etc" we would most likely receive a mtn/garden view, although our Maui property is partial OV. I requested a high floor in the newest tower and was told this tower had limited efficiency units for trade. The agent requested a high floor, with marina/water view if possible and I hung up the phone moderately satisfied. Upon check-in, much to my surprise, we were given an ocean view in the newest tower on the 14th floor. Let me just say....HEAVEN! While the units are small, the view was spectacular. The Unit size didn't bother me, but the lanai was TINY- barely holding a table and two chairs. No MATTER! Still wonderful.

We spent much of the week by the various pools or at the lagoon. It was low season and the property was not busy. The Na aia pool has only 9 umbrellas, so even in light of the low season, I watched people get up at 7 AM and snag the shade chairs. Of course the rule says any vacant seats with towels will be cleared after one hr, but this policy never held true. The quieter "reflection pool" behind Longboards had double the umbrellas and was much quieter. I heard about the signature frozen mai tai drink at this resort. Be aware this is only served at Longboards or at the reflection pool-- not at the other pool bar. If you purchase a plastic souvenir glass for a bit more, the refills are discounted. Unfortunately we didn't find out about this until the 3rd day, but we still took advantage of the deal. Be careful with the frozen Mai Tais- delicious but strong :)

We loved the lagoon. While the crashing surf is gorgeous, it was so nice to buy an air mattress and leisurely float in the water without being tossed around. We snorkeled around the rocks- minimal fish, okay visibility- nothing special. Rented a 2-seater cabana chair one day- $35 for nonowners, $30 for owners. Loved the guaranteed shade and the beautiful setting. Not like other resorts where you have food/beverage service all day. Technically no alcohol is allowed past the resort patio area, however, when I asked the attendent said "discretely it's fine". They do bring a small prepackaged cup of cold water and cold, packaged face towels once during the day.

As for activities outside of the resort, we had already done Dole, Pearl Harbor, PCC, Hanauma Bay, etc on previous trips. We drove to the North Shore and explored Waimea Valley and snorkeled Shark's Cove one day. Also drove into Honolulu for shopping/dinner/fireworks one night.

The meal options are a bit limited in this area. We bought fruit, bagels, yogurt, and sandwich makings and made BF as well as one lunch in the room. We ate at both Longboards and Chucks. Longboards has delicious spring rolls and garlic fries on happy hour menu. On regular menu, the tuna melt and turkey bacon focaccia sandwich were our favorites. At Chucks we both ordered the filet special. While the price was a bit high ($40, I think), it includes the salad/soup bar and a potato which were delicious.

Overall, we really enjoyed the trip. So relaxing with beautiful scenery. In fact, although we did not have our children, we could appreciate how the calm lagoons and nearby Disney resort would be perfect for families. In fact, we are planning to return during Thanksgiving 2013!

3  Thank cdatraveler
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Really???!!! I am surprised there are so many positive reviews about this hotel!!!

My husband and I stayed five nights at this particular Marriott property. We had reserved a 1 bedroom villa with an ocean view room well in advance using Marriott reward points. Prior to arrival we were excited to stay here. All the pictures on the website looked sooo nice! We usually stay at Marriott properties and have good experiences. THAT WAS UNTIL NOW!!!

Upon opening the door to our room our noses started twitching.....THE ROOM REEKED OF B.O., FEET and UNIDENTIFIED GREASY FOOD. We opened the sliding glass door to the patio hoping it would help, IT DIDN'T! The smell was NAUSEATING!!!

We asked for another room and received one. Upon arriving at our second "ocean view' room we didn't notice any foul odor. However upon opening the patio door we discovered we had received a lovely parking lot view of the main entrance of the hotel. Hmmm??? Not what we traveled all the way to Hawaii for!!! My husband was less than satisfied and quickly went down to the lobby and complained. The girl at the front desk proceeded to tell my husband the room was an "ocean view". Really???!!! The room was on the fourth floor of the Kona Tower literally right above the valet parking station and the main entrance into the hotel's lobby. You could hear the parking attendant's conversations, traffic and the slamming of car doors! We requested another "ocean view" room and were told there were none available. We were given a "mountain view" room in a different tower for the night and told we would be moved the next day when an "ocean view" room became available. Yea, we moved to a third room in one night, unpacked and repacked the next day.

Oh it gets better.......... by the time we got to the third room we were tired and did a quick smell check and once over. The room seemed pretty worn-in looking, but thought it would work for the night. Unfortunately neither one of us had looked at the toilet until about midnight. I opened the toilet seat cover and was mortified. The toilet seat was so worn looking with scratches and stains I couldn't use it. Unfortunately, my husband was already asleep in bed so I opted to stay in the room and go down to the lobby to use the public restroom. Unbelievable. This is a Marriott property. Cleanliness is a given standard. I was appalled.

Around noon the next day we received our fourth room on the 12th floor of the Kona Tower with an "ocean view". Be aware the "ocean view" is a partial, sideways view of the ocean. The hotel has somehow blocked off the full ocean view with some type of metal covering directly facing the ocean. The fourth room still had an odor, but at that point we decided just to buy some air freshner, leave the patio door open and make the best of it.

In addition to the partial "ocean view" from the room you also receive a view of a working industrial harbor, complete with large smoke stacks and large barges. The website of the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club forgets to include those views on it's website.

While sipping on tropical drinks poolside I noticed a lot of jumbo jets flying directly over the hotel. The hotel must be located in a flight pattern to the Honolulu International Airport. It didn't bother my husband, but the sound of airplane jets is not what I had in mind on my Hawaiian vacation.

FYI: We stayed six nights at Marriott's Beach Club on Maui prior to staying at the Ko Olina property on Oahu. Save yourself from the Ko Olina location and head to Marriott's Beach Club on Maui.

Marriott you should be ashamed of this property!!!!

5  Thank norcaltraveler_12
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days and enjoyed the beach and the amenities. The room was small for the price but very clean. The grounds are beautiful but make no mistake that this is a manufactured environment. The area around the place is desert and there it's not much to do. Honolulu is 20 miles away which is about 40 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Jack1959
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We bought our timeshare unit in 2003 and have come here every year since. There are now 3 towers and the property is simply gorgeous. It is well-maintained with numerous areas for families, quiet pools for adults, and 4 beaches to choose from. As the area has developed, shopping and restaurants have followed. There are bbq areas but limited restaurants. And, if you are in building 2 or 3, you are going to have to walk a bit to get to the front desk and the small shop. Notwithstanding, this is truly a first class property. And, the sunsets simply defy description. Having said that, parking is limited and the valet parking could stand some improvement - very slow. Otherwise, you can't miss here.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views. Even the mountain views are pretty awesome.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Walt and Gwynne W
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is an incredible resort just 17 miles from Waikiki and Honolulu. Gives the true Hawaii experience. Four lagoons make for safer swimming than in a rough ocean. The resort has great amenities, with two restaurants on site and grills that are cleaned to looking like brand new every morning. A 1 1/2 mile walk along the "boardwalk" where you can see weddings occurring at the two chapels on the way, walk to the JW Marriott and view the new Aulani Disney Hotel. If you decide to cook in your room, shopping at Safeway, Costco, Target, Walmart, etc very close.

Great place if you want to get away from the craziness of Waikiki and enjoy the ocean, palm trees and quiet. Just and hour's drive to the North Shore, on the way enjoy Dole Plantation, shave ice, Waimea Valley amongst other fun things to do and see.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view....Higher floors better view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Prince Waikiki
#1 of 84 in Honolulu
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!