“Fantastic trip to Hawaii!”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We just returned from a fantastic stay at Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club. We stayed 7 nights in a 2BR condo in Hale Naia, the most southern building which is the closest to the beach and the “big kids” pool (waterfalls, caves). I believe it’s also the newest building since it’s number “3”. We then went to Kailua for the weekend and returned for 2 nights to a 1Br unit in Hale Moana, the most northern building which is building number “2”. That is closest to the “little kids” pool with the beach entry. It is the farthest from the beach unless you leave Marriott’s property through the gate and walk through the public parking lot to the lagoon.

In Hale Naia, we were on the 15th floor in the closest unit to the ocean. The unit and view were fantastic. We are not Marriott timeshare owners, but rented this unit from an owner on redweek.com. In Hale Moana we were on the 2nd floor that walked out to ground level about 50 yards from the pool. We did not have a view. We booked this room through Marriott directly. The units were comparable with Naia having nicer, newer stainless appliances and nice GE HE washer/dryer. Moana had a small room/office area next to the master bedroom that I really liked because I was able to set-up the pack n play in there.

Ko Olina has 4 lagoons. All of them are open to the public. Starting from the north and working south is Lagoon 1, which is shared by the Mariott Ihilani and the new Disney Aulani. Lagoon 2 is used by the Ko Olina Beach Villas. Lagoon 3 is used by the Marriott Beach Club. Lagoon 4 has no resorts on it, is by the Marina, and has the largest public parking lot. It seems to get a lot of action on the weekends. Ihilani and the Beach Villas seem more geared toward adults while Aulani and the Beach Club cater to families.

I did go and check out Aulani to see how it compares to the Beach Club. It seems very nice, but the grounds were not as large as the Beach Club’s (which are not unmanageable at all). They had lifeguards, a lazy river and a big pirate-ship themed spray park. They also have a snorkel tank with lots of fish and lots of people. The overall quality seemed comparable to the Beach Club. I certainly wouldn’t spend a lot more money to stay there, but if they were comparably priced (which they currently are not) I would definitely consider it.

We went grocery shopping at the Safeway about 10 minutes away and mostly ate in our unit. We also used the grills outside. We did regularly go and get breakfast (donuts, muffins, etc, until they run out around 9am) at the Marketplace. We ate dinner at Longboards twice. The tuna melt is phenomenal. We ate at Roy’s once, it is extremely expensive. We also considered eating at the local Mexican restaurant across the street from Aulani, but heard from other travelers that it was terrible. The only other non-resort restaurant option is a Hawaiian place by the Mexican place, but we didn’t have a chance to try it. I heard you could get good ready-made meals at the ABC store behind the Mexican place to take back to your unit.

Overall our trip to the Beach Club was fantastic and I would not hesitate to return. Service was excellent and the resort was beautiful. If I had to be picky, these are the changes I would make: enforce the no-kids pool (1 out of the 3) and hot tubs (2 or 3). Although I have kids, I can appreciate some adults would like to get away. I think it’s great they have the “quiet” pool and the adult-only hot tubs, but the rules are not enforced. Also, add some picnic tables by the grills so people can eat outside. Finally, an airport shuttle would be fantastic since parking at $30/day is outrageous and a taxi runs $80.

Finally, understand that Ko Olina is the dry side of the island. It’s not the lush “Jurassic park” Hawaii that you see in the movies. If that’s what you want, take a trip to the east side of the island. Kailua is amazing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Balt0Traveler

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was our second trip to Ko'Olina, and our first trip to the Beach Club. We stayed here as a trial run to determine whether or not to buy into the Marriott Vacation Club, which we ultimately chose to do. The room we had was a standard ocean-view studio, which was spacious and well appointed. The resort itself has several large pools, and is situated on a small man-made lagoon. We had occasion to use the concierge to book a few outings, they were VERY helpful. The restaurants on site are overpriced with average food, but this is not exclusive to this resort. All in all we had a great stay, and we can't wait to return next year as owners!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We are a family of three , 2 adults and 10 yo . We stayed at Marriott Ko Olina in a studio unit which we obtained through an exchange on Interval International.We stayed in a Hale Kona building which is the main building, on the 12th floor with a partial ocean view and a view of the nearby marina. When we first arrived we were taken away by the beautiful open reception area and the view of the ocean.

THE PROPERTY : Immaculate, beautiful landscaping, felt like I was in a a botanical garden.Three pools. We enjoyed the Reflection pool at our building, it was not crowded at all, the beach was just steps away.The other two pools more croweded, one has a slide, the other has like a sandy zero entrance an a volleyball net.The path that runs along the resort is great for early morning walks or jogging.
Main building has a Market place with small food items, coffee, souvenirs.
THE ROOM: Though nothing impressive and a little dim due to the outside division between the 1 Br and lock off, it was enough for us. As I mentioned it had a nice view; we had a microwave, small fridge / coffee maker, and with Costco and Target 10 min away, we did not have to worry about breakfast. Laundy facilities on the 10 th floor in our buliding/ self parking was free .
THE RESTAURANTS: We tried Longboards for dinner one night and it was OK. We ate at nearby Roy's twice, great food, try their fishes. There are not many restaurants in the area, so selection is somewhat limited compared with Waikiki, but is a great place for families.

THE BEACH: man made, feels like a large pool with salt water, no shade on the beach, but great for swimming and snorkeling, especially early in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mv68
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you are traveling with small kids, having laundry in your room, or even on the floor means at least 25% less packing & luggage. And having a lot of kid friendly pools on the property with lagunas within 5 min walk from the property means snorkeling & beach fun without the hassle of driving, parking, finding places to eat, bathroom, kids nap time that accompanies driving to a beach from the hotel. Our family of 4 (2 kids 5 & 7 yrs old) have been to this property 2wice in the last 2 years, and have loved each time. We've been to every other island in Hawaii, and we came back here twice because of this property. The first time we were on a top floor one bedroom suite with great ocean views. The second time it was in a small studio with garden views. We had a great time on both. The staff put on family games like bingo & hula hoop contests which little kids love, and its overall a very low key family friendly resort. The drive from Waikiki is fine if you avoid the rush hour - and a trip to North Shore, or even the Polynesian cultural center on the other side of the island is not a problem if you plan your day wisely. We sat thru the marketing pitch for the timeshare, which was totally no pressure. We like the Aulani as well, so you can see my review there.

Room Tip: Get a penthouse room if you can. Reserve early.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank penguinorama1
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Okay, I am an owner so I am biased. The place is top notch. The lagoons are excellent and safe for paddle boarding or snorkeling! I was able to jog the around to waterfront then on the treadmills every morning. See Google Maps or MapmyRun for trail. We had a studio and one bedroom. It was larger than most hotels and so fully equipped with W/D, Dishwasher and dishes. Just go to the local Safeway, stock up and don't worry about restaurant bills. The check-in is slow if you come in early but they store everything for you until your room is ready.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank flwSeahawk
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My friend and I were in need of a relaxing vacation. In need of escape of the hustle and bustle of work, choosing the much quieter and less touristy western side of Oahu with the amenities of a Marriott was a great choice. We spent the majority of our vacation on the west side (Although we did venture to the north shore for Matsumoto's Shave Ice a few times !) The lagoons, coastal walking/jogging path, the convenience of kitchenette, mini fridge and microwave were some of the highlights. Full kitchen/ living room in larger units available. The staff were excellent, especially those assisting with cabana rentals. Friendly, attentive but not intrusive.

There are many great restaurants on the various Ko Olina resorts, Marketplace on site had a little of everything, ABC store a few minutes away had small deli, frozen section, small produce area, hot "bento box" options and souvenirs. 2 miles down the road were Cost Co, Target, Safeway and other eating places so Ko Olina is a great get a way area, but still close to conveniences.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gksandiego
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed at all three resorts in Ko'Olina so wanted to share my perspective. Here is what I think: if you are a family with young children and money is less of a concern (i.e. you are willing to pay for quality/experience), I would stay at the Aulani Resort. If you are on Oahu on business and need convenience from a business perspective, I would stay at the Ihilani. If you want lots of pools, lower prices and don't mind crowds, then stay at this property. Personally, I liked Aulani best for family vacations and Ihilani for business. This property offers nice grounds and larger units if necessary (it is a timeshare property), and is on one of Ko'Olina's less crowded, beautiful lagoons. It is also within a short walk of an even less crowded lagoon, and a Roy's restaurant. Specific complaints I have about the property are that the AC in my unit appeared to have some sort of motion sensor attached to it (i.e. turned off in the middle of the night, even though I set it to stay on) and the fact that the valets at the front lobby didn't suggest that I wait to unpack my car before checking in. I took everything out, stood around waiting for someone to attend to me, asked if they had valet parking, then they took my car. When I checked in, they told me I needed to take my car to a completely different valet area, so I had to put everything back, etc. The main breakfast location at the resort was also buffet only (no ala carte), which I only learned after being seated. Overall, I "liked" this property but I didn't "love" it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Adam M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Prince Waikiki
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!