“Lunch is awesome! Dinner not so much”
Review of AMA Ama

AMA Ama
Ranked #7 of 148 Restaurants in Kapolei
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Lunch 5-March: Great views of the beach and pool areas. The menu is simple but awesome. I had the $21 plate lunch which is reportedly different every day. Mine was a fantatsic meat curry with potatoes and rice. Side dish of Poke Ahi tuna with sides of soy sauce and wasabi (see my pics). I also had two specialty drinks and they were awesome. "Sakinah" was my server and she was fantatsic. Another really attractive girl brought my first round of drinks out and she was great too. I was in Heaven. Good food, good service, good view...enough said.

Dinner 3-March: The menu does not seem to be what you would expect on a Hawaiian holiday. Odd menu selections, and the fresh catch of the day was fish in a red sauce??? Uhhhhh, no thanks. Some rice, grilled fresh fish and hawaiian style vegetable plate would have been just what the holiday doctor ordered but instead they served my $45 fish dinner with a huge glob of something that resembled soap suds from a dishwasher right on top. Supposedly it was a lemon suds thing, but it had no flavor and was quite annoying (see my pics). Dinner is also dark so there is not much of a view. Actually no view. There are spot lights on the palm trees located down on the beach and they shine in your eyes when you're trying to eat and relax. The waiter explained I was not the only one annoyed by the lights, and that they can't do anything about it. Service was great and always with a smile. The dinner menu needs a polynesian update or something. Take a rain check and sit in the bar away from kids and relax with some chicken wings or something.

Lunch will not disappoint. I hope my review helped.

1  Thank California_Wine
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten at Ama Ama a couple times for breakfast and lunch (dinner there is too expensive for me!). The servers are so nice and pleasant. Roxann was awesome. She gave us some great tips on visiting the North Shore and turned us on to POG (passion fruit, orange, guava) juice. As for the food, the portions are filling. For breakfast I had the eggs, chicken sausage and toast combo. The chicken sausage were not like breakfast links, they were two full-sized sausages. It kind of reminded me of polish sausage which I am not a fan of, so I don't think I would order it again. The eggs and toast were great. For lunch I had the turkey club with the side of field greens. Both were delicious. All the food at Ama Ama is presented beautifully, which I really appreciate. The views of the lagoon are beautiful too.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We celebrated our anniversary at this gem of a restaurant and what a treat. We were seated right away by friendly staff and catered to with a high level of service. The food was on the expensive side but so worth it as it was fresh and delicious. We will be back.

1  Thank DKInge
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We came on a night when the restaurant was more than half empty but the service was still very slow and generally unavailable. The food was quite good, but the portions were very, very small for the prices they charge.

If you want a nice ocean side dining experience this is a great spot - but if you do go expect a fantastic view in a beautiful location and not much in the way of food, service and value.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Dined here for son's 14th Birthday. Restaurant is very accommodating. My son loves pasta and ordered a meal off of the menu which he did not like. Ama Ama created a delicious pasta meal to his liking. My wife ordered the Seafood Thai Curry and I ordered the Hawaiian Snapper. Both meals were outstanding and comparable in quality and taste to Roy's which we dined the next night. The bonus for Ama Ama is that it has a view you cannot beat. It is expensive, but you are in Hawaii. You get what you pay for....a great meal on the beach.