“Fun show, great sunset”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic luau setting
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The shows change often enough that repeat visitors can enjoy a new experience.
By the end of the show, every member of the family had been on stage. I was the 'tourist finale.' All family members where laughing from my antics.
Very much enjoyed how the M.C. pointed out what was fun and 'movie Hawaii' and what was custom and historical.

1  Thank Stewfoot
There are newer reviews for Germaine's Luau

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Taken at face value as a neutral observer, it is kinda lame. The show is over-produced. The lady singer reminds me of Amarie, the 4 armed bar singer who helped Riker find the Fat Ferengi in Star Trek-The Next Generation. And the culture is over emphasized like seeing people in liederhosen at some German Ocktoberfest somewhere in the US midwest.

But with that said, if you go as a tourist, aren't looking for a 5 star meal, you go looking to have fun, and let your inhibitions down, you will have a fun evening.

I went there via a Roberts tour bus, got picked up at my Waikiki hotel, and that went smoothly. Slight delay in getting there because the H1 was closed down because 0bama was going somewhere (adding another reason to not like the guy).

They take your picture on the beach and try to sell it to you later. Not a big push tho.
You can sit at picnic tables to watch, or sit on the sand (with mats) about 18 inches off the ground to get more of a luau feel I guess. Wife and I did that, wasn't too bad to do that, and doing that puts you in the "front row".

Food was buffet style, plenty there, and I had little dabs of everything. It all tasted good. Got 3 drink tickets, they were fine.

The entertainment was fine. Various dancing and swinging stuff around. Had fire knives which was kinda cool. Also had opportunities for the audience to get up on stage and dance. Good times to go act silly with and in front of a bunch of people you don't know.

I didn't feel cheated out of my money. Haven't been to any others, so I don't know if they are better. Look, if you are uptight, prim and proper, or just want to watch a dinner and a show, there are probably better options for you. But if you want to go do something you won't ever get a chance to do in Peoria or Boise give it a whirl.

1  Thank Herdcyclone
Reviewed December 26, 2013

it was great - we enjoyed every minute of it - the food was good - the show was great and i tell everyone i know going to oahu to go to germaines

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We got tickets through livingsocial, so I was glad we had not paid full price. It may have been a better experience had a rain and wind storm had not come ashore. I was surprised when they handed out rain ponchos instead of a refund after all the place does not have any covering over the tables/stage area. They really need to fix that problem if they plan on doing a dinner and show rain or shine. We got our food in the rain, ate in the rain, and watched a shortened version of the show in the rain. Our food was wet so I can't really comment on the flavor. it is a very long drive, about 30 min, from Waikiki and not worth the trip. My daughter visited the Polynesian Cultural Center's luau and said it was covered so I would suggest going there instead.

1  Thank SIMFlorida
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Back in 2007 I went to this Luau an wished I didn't by the time I got to get my food it was cold , I like my meat hot not cold. the place was not that clean , the tables had some food that looked like it was there from yesterday not today. the busses need to get you there on time not almost 1 hour late for cold food , as for the show it's ok but need work, now let's get to the drink's they give you tickets, but this is were they get you , for a drink one ticket then you pay more to get it , if you are given tickets for drink's that's all you need to get your drink not pay for them what do you think??