“eh... is the word”

Description: Authentic luau setting
San Francisco, California
“eh... is the word”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is my second luau in Oahu. Comparing it to PCC, this was eh. The luau is on the beach & can see the sunset just before everything starts. Unfortunately, we didn't get to view the beach or sunset because the traffic was horrible the day the bus picked us up & took us approximately 1.5 hours for a 30 mile drive from Waikiki to luau, uugh!

Good to know when booking:
1) Discounts apply to AAA members (approx $10 off/person) and military (probably more).
2) There is a bus that takes you to & from the luau, FREE-comes with the cost of admission.
3) Admission comes with 3 free alcoholic drinks and buffet dinner.
4) Driving there is an option & we would have driven had I listened to others reviews that their drinks are like virgin drinks & watered down.

My opinion...food was average, entertainment was alright & drinks was definitely watered down.
FOOD: This was nothing different from any other food I have tried but some were better than others. We didn't have seconds or anything. Not sure if it was because we were full or just that we didn't want seconds.
ENTERTAINMENT: The performance was not as strong I expected, very short and simple. I wasn't on my toes as I was at PCC. There is no live music, the music background is prerecorded which is sad because the performance would have been better had there been a live band/music. PCC had drummers & all and was amazing.
DRINKS: Even though my husband and I each had 3 free tickets for alcoholic drinks, we only drank 1 each. We just thought it was so light that it seemed like we were drinking fruit juice or virgin drinks. My suggestion to this place is to at least give the first drink a strong one and ease up on the rest. They're so uptight and stingy with their alcohol...They'd get better ratings on Yelp if at least first drink was strong.

I gave this place 3 stars because, one star for them being very apologetic for the traffic in which they had no control of that caused a few buses to be 1 hour late and 2 stars for WALLY our bus escort for having a bubbly personality. Thanks to Wally, our extended bus ride wasn't horribly long. He was funny & entertaining, loved his stories and fun facts along the way.

Overall, it was good times with my husband...didn't really matter what I did with him boring or not, it was time well spent. I would hesitate to recommend this luau to my friends or family but would not cancel it out if they really wanted to go here.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank wanderlust1979

Poway, California
“A Taste Of Real Island Entertainment”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We think best luau experience we could have picked. From the time you are picked up from your hotel in large clean buses to the time you are returned, you will be entertained, educated on island history and be entertained again. Great value!!!

Visited September 2012
A suburb of Detroit
“So much fun!! And family friendly.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was a fun night in Honolulu. We took the "party bus", which is very mild and fine for kids. Our chaperone or tour guide, (not sure what his title is), Gerald, was really funny and kept you entertained the whole way there and back. The food was really good, and the show was entertaining. Everything was very family friendly and my kids LOVED it. I didn't hear "I'm boooored" one time the whole night. :)

Visited December 2012
Nashua, Iowa
“Beautiful Atmosphere!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were a little worried when the bus was taking us through an industrial area but we had no idea what was in store! Our guide was Matt and his humor was better than most of the tour guides we had on various tours. The staff at Germaine's was very helpful and ready to serve us in anyway.

The food was really good for being a buffet and the bartenders did not skimp on the alcohol in the mixed drinks. The entertainment was probably an 7 or 8 on a 1-10 scale. The major selling point about Germaine's was that we got to pick our own seats and atmosphere and view were absolutely breath taking!!

My only complaint was that there was a guy in front of us that stood for most of the entertainment. He took pictures and video of pretty much the whole thing, but it was like sitting behind a wide pole. There were 6 of us in our party and we all of us had to move tables or adjust to see around this guy.

• Visited December 2012
ottawa
“Luau had it all”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews we were hesitant to book this luau but the price was quite a bit less than the other luaus so we went for it and we're glad that we did.

This luau is on the beach and we enjoyed a beautiful sunset. All the seats are good for the show. There is no price discrimination for the seats or the meals for adults unlike the other major luaus.
We were all invited to see the ceremony of thr pig being pulled from the ground.

The food was pretty standard buffet fare and was very plentiful. 3 mixed drinks were included with each ticket as well as unlimited sodas and coffee.

The show highlighted the different dances from the pacific islands. I don't know what more anyone would want to see. There was some audience participation.

Discounts are often offered by the hotels so check before you buy your ticket.