“In love with Aulani!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Saint Louis, Missouri
“In love with Aulani!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I need to preface this review with a little background on me....I am a HUGE Disney fan, and have regularly visited both WDW in Florida and Disneyland in California for years and years, stayed in many, many Disney resorts and sailed on Disney Cruise Line multiple times. I am currently an Annual Passholder for both FL and CA, so this hopefully puts into perspective my love of Disney. Needless to say, I was so excited that we were going to be staying 5 nights at the Aulani Resort this summer as part of a 3 island tour of Hawaii. I've been building excitement for it since Disney announced Aulani was being built. I was beyond excited to see Aulani with my own eyes.

The people: the staff at Aulani were absolutely wonderful, and just what I had come to expect from a Disney resort. Friendly, helpful, warm, and smiling. It started the minute we arrived and were greeted with leis and necklaces in the lobby. Big kudos to the staff at Aulani for making us feel so welcome. After moving on to other resorts, we very much missed the Disney touch of the staff at Aulani.

The room: We had a pretty standard room with 2 Queen Beds and just an ok view. I actually could see the ocean off in the distance, but it was more of an island view. Next time, I've decided I want a pool or ocean view, even though it costs quite a bit more. I also may upgrade to a villa next time. The room was very nice, but wasn't what sold me on this resort.

The lobby: Once you come here, you will understand. I am fascinated with the lobby at Aulani. I loved looking at it, sitting in it, hearing the music they played in the lobby each day. Gorgeous lobby that I looked forward to being in each day, and was melancholy about leaving when our stay was over. FYI, you can purchase the Aulani lobby music on iTunes, which was exactly what I did as our shuttle was pulling away from the resort on our last day there.

The pools: Wow factor here! I love, love, love the lazy river. I miss it, actually! Nothing like plopping down on a tube and relaxing the day away. This was a big plus for me. All of the other pools were also very nice, including the keiki area, and especially the infinity pool. Gorgeous! The pools at Aulani will not disappoint you! There was something for everyone here.

The beach: Here was my negative. I didn't actually love the beach. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, it was clean, but it was kind of boring. I have older kids and they were really missing the waves, because this beach is as calm and still as can be. More of a cove, really. Now for families with toddlers, this beach is probably a dream! My older kids liked the beaches at the other resorts we stayed at much better. They did rent the stand-up paddle boards at Aulani, and enjoyed doing that activity. We hung out on the beach a lot, but for pre-teen to teenage kids, I think this beach is lacking excitement. Plenty of chairs, though, and nice sand for building castles. The beach was very pretty to look at, anyway.

The food: Loved it! Ama-Ama is a must-try for both dinner and breakfast. It was so memorable and delicious! The buffet restaurant was also decent for both dinner and breakfast with the characters. We loved the quick service offerings near the pool, and specifically, the coconut shrimp, the portuguese sausage dogs, Mickey bars, and the shaved ice stand. I really can't count how many shaved ices we purchased during our stay. YUM! We also did what many others suggested, and ate at Roys, Monkey Pod, and Just Tacos across the street. All good choices near Aulani.

Other: The Starlit Hui was a neat show, and definitely not to be missed while at Aulani. The Menehune interactive game was really fun, and my youngest son enjoyed trying it during our stay. The two gift shops were filled with lots of treasures, so you will have plenty of chances to stock up on Aulani souvenirs while you are there. The Photo Pass service is awesome, because our family was able to purchase a CD filled with photos of our vacation and we had several pics of us all together. Live music was available just about everyday, and we enjoyed buying tropical drinks (and virgin ones for the kids) while listening to live Hawaiian tunes.

I would hands down recommend this resort to any Disney fan or any family traveling with children. It's a special place that I know you will enjoy! I know that I'll go back someday. Unfortunately, distance is a factor, so I won't be able to visit Aulani as often as I do the parks. Until I make it back again, I will treasure the days that I was lucky enough to spend at Aulani. To put it simply, I've completely fallen in love with Aulani! I have awesome memories and my stay there even surpassed my wildest expectations!

Room Tip: Wish I would have splurged on a room with a better view of the pools or the ocean. Next time, I won...
10 Thank Kellost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,430)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Allen, Tx
Reviewed July 14, 2014

First let me start by saying I am a DVC member and this was our first time at Aulani. Since my reservation was booked with points I had multiple reservations and was wait listed for my room type. So upon check-in I was hoping that they would allow me to stay in the same room and not have to switch rooms. The staff was able to accommodate us allowing us to stay in the same room for 12 nights. The multiple reservations did cause some issues even though all the reservations were linked together I still had to get new cards each time a new reservation started. The new reservations also reset the clock on housekeeping so I had to call multiple times to get that addressed. As a DVC member the housekeeping is performed after 4 days so after my constant complaining I did finally get the room cleaned on the 5th day. To make up for our troubles Disney provided daily towel and trash service which was nice. That was really my only problem I had and the reason for 4 stars instead of 5.
The two bedroom suite was large and easily accommodated my family of 2 adults and 4 teenagers. We loved the rice cooker and I plan to buy one for my home soon. The kitchen was well stocked with everything we needed. We were on the 4th floor overlooking the rainbow reef. We could not see the ocean due to the palm trees obstructing our view. We had no issues with the noise as long as the patio doors were shut.
We had a rental car which served our family well. This enabled us to drive a few miles to pick up groceries which saved us a lot of money. As DVC members we can park for free. I believe parking will set you back at least thirty dollars a day if you are not DVC members. Having the van also enabled us to explore other parts of the island. I was concerned that we might run out of things to do but I was wrong. There is so much to see and do on Oahu that at times we felt rushed. I will be providing some reviews on the different attractions we visited in the near future.
Now back to the resort. The resort grounds were impeccable. The kids loved the lazy river. We all did both slides and found them to be a nice addition to the resort but only did them a few times since we don't like waiting in lines but on average it was about a 15 - 20 minute wait for the slides. We signed up for the rainbow reef length of stay which was well worth the extra 5 bucks especially if you plan to go more than once. The rainbow reef was a nice feature, great for the little kids but we found the water extremely cold , you do get used to it after the initial shock. I preferred to snorkel in the lagoon, but the best time is early in the morning, once the beach gets crowded the water gets cloudy. In the morning the water was nice and clear. The resort does get crowded on the weekends so we tried to plan some excursions on those days. During the week id was pretty easy to get some great spots on the beach or by the pool. I was able to secure a great spot on the wooden deck in front of AMA AMA on the mornings I snorkeled. It was nice to just sit there enjoying my coffee with a great view of the ocean and the gentle breezes. The poolside / beachside service was great. I had a few drinks and the kids had lunch there a couple of times. Prices were reasonable for an upscale resort of this kind. The teenagers took advantage of some of the evening activities and even made some friends. We had a lovely sunset dinner at AMA AMA which set us back about 450.00 with tip "OUCH" but the service was great and the food was very good. I had the lamb chops which were cooked to perfection and was a decent size. All in all we all had a great time and plan on returning.

10 Thank Jim D
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights after a week in Waikiki. It was a chance to relax with our 5 year old son and enjoy a resort. We had a one bedroom villa, which could actually accommodate 5 people. There was a pull down bunk arrangement under the TV, which he loved. We had a great dining area and a full kitchen which we used once. Although this is a Disney hotel its not in your face. we did partake in the themed breakfast which was $100. It was value for money. Breakfast was a very good buffet, the Disney characters and the hostess were great and the photographers were also discreet. We loved the various pools but warning you do need to get to the pools about 8 to get your wristbands and towels and then book your chairs. the staff were very good at instigating the 1 hour rule. They would hang your towel over the top of the chair and if not moved within an hour the towels were removed. We were there on July 4th and the chairs were all booked by 8.30! but very few people sitting here. Normal days you're pretty sure of a chair at 9-9.30. You then just wait for a chair to come available. People were very conscious of taking up chairs so they would invite people to take their chairs when they left. The pools and beach were just fantastic, the restaraunts were fine but for added variety you have a number of food options across the road. We got some takeaway pizza from Lulu one night which was very good and $22. Combined with the chilli shrimp taco's this managed to feed all 3 of us.
Across the road we ate at Monkey Pod which was kid friendly and a great meal. Its got a great range of beers and the service/food was relaxed but efficient. For a more upmarket meal we ate at Roys at Ko Olina Golf Club. I'm going back to play golf there! The meal was great with good wines and surprisingly for me they were very switched on with the children. Our sons meal came out with the appetizer, the drink was in a child proof cup and the wait staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient. it made for a great night.
At Aulani you pay for what you get. We had an amazing holiday and a relaxing time in a wonderful environment. We'll be back

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank irishkiwitraveller
Hawaii
Reviewed July 13, 2014

As we inched towards the last few weeks of school, one of the parents at my son’s preschool sent a mass email to the class asking if parents would be interested in going to Disney Aulani for the Memorial Day weekend (to celebrate the last day of school). In doing so, she could organize a group rate. We’ve never been to the resort so decided to jump on the bandwagon with the another 14 families (we needed 10 room bookings to confirm a group rate).

From what we heard, Aulani was a great place for kids. The pools, beach and activities at Aunties Beach House (included with room rate) gives parents a break from the kids if needed. The room type that was available at the time was $279 +13.962% tax (Studio room), it had 1 queen bed with a queen-sized sofa bed (no rooms with 2 beds are available at this rate). This room rate also is limited to 4 guests (including children) in the room. Since we wanted grandma to come (5 in total) we would have to book a one-bedroom at a rate of $399 (a bit pricey but we took into account the resort activities and ammenities that were available). Aulani is quite strict on the number of guests per room because in order to just lounge around the pool, you need to have a pool wristband (which you get by room number). So we booked a one-bedroom for 4 nights and waited until Memorial weekend arrived!

The day finally came and upon arrival we were greeted with leis, fruit infused water and quickly checked ourselves into our room. The kids wasted no time, asking us to take them to the pool to meet up with the other families and friends. As we walked towards the pool we saw Stitch!

There were many pools on the property; Waikolohe Stream had 2 tube waterslides, one faster than the other with twists and turns. The Waikolohe Pool, had a tunnel body slide for all ages.

Menehune Bridge was a water play structure that had 2 slides, the kids loved this area!

The Ka Maka Grotto pool was great at sunset since it has an infinity-edge pool that overlooks Ko Olina beach. Keiki Cove Splash Zone wasn’t working when we were there, but looked like it resembled a tidal pool. There was also the Wailana Pool, off limits to children so much more quiet and serene for adults. Finally the Whirlpool Spas were also facing the beach so you could watch the sunset, this area is off limits to kids as well. We spent most of our time near the Waikolohe Pool, which was right near the towel and wristband location and food stands.

We loved our room too! It had it’s own kitchen with everything you’d need to cook with (even a rice cooker). The breakfast nook was awesome and where the kids spent time coloring and eating. Our one-bedroom had a jacuzzi, a sofa bed and another pull down bed.

That evening the parents decided to go our for dinner and watch the sunset. We put the kids into Aunties Beach House, paid extra $60 per child for dinner from 5:30-8:30 and left them there for 4 hours, they loved it and so did we!

The adults roamed the beach and watched the sunset, it was absolutely beautiful. We then went for dinner across the street at a local Mexican restaurant called Just Tacos. Since we’ve been eating resort food all day, having the option to leave the resort, walk across the street and eat was great.

Around 8:30pm we picked up the kids and decided to go for a swim, the main pools didn’t close until 10pm so the kids kept on going. Nearby, around 9:15pm there was Mo’olelo Fire Pit storytelling going on. The kids listened in as “Uncle” told age old stories and traditions handed down from generation to generation.

The next morning we ordered breakfast in our room. It was delicious! Our cousins came for the day and we decided to go on an early morning interactive treasure hunt with them. The Aulani provides an online game that let’s you find treasures around the resort, it was loads of fun!

After another full day of swimming and sunburn, the kids went back into Aunties Beach House for a few more hours and then we all headed to the Aulani Starlit Hui, a Hawaiian hula show on the Halawai Lawn for the whole family. Pre-show they had areas where people could learn about different Hawaiian instruments and how to make flower leis.

The kids went crazy as they heard the announcement that Mickey had arrived and the show was about to begin. We sat on large lauhala mats and watched the show. The kids loved it. Especially after the show was over and the mini-disco began.

Without ruining the surprise too much, we highly recommend staying the Disney Aulani resort on Oahu when you visit the islands, especially if you have kids. Unfortunately, children have to be potty trained to enter Aunties Beach House, but its worth every penny you pay for staying at the resort. The kids kept asking to go back there every day and would stay for hours, we literally had to pull them away from the place to eat lunch or dinner.

We recommend at least 3 days to a week to take full advantage of all the activities and amenities there. There is so much to do we wish we would have stayed the entire week. Our stay was over, but the memories will live on forever in our hearts. We LOVE Disney Aulani and will be back next year again!

Note: The restaurants and food outlets are pricey! Better to purchase groceries from the nearby shopping outlets in Kapolei. Also, "Aunties Beach House" is super popular with all of the kids and for the first 2 nights our our stay we could not get them into any activities as it fills up quickly. You'll have to go downstairs around 7:30am to stand in a long line to "hopefully" get your kids registered for certain events. Don't forget this… unless you're staying during a low season.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites come with a full kitchen
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Wendy D
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Thanks to Disney marketing, my kids (ages 13 and 11) have been asking to go to the Aulani since it opened. My husband and I travel to Oahu every year together and stay in Waikiki, but we wanted to include the kids this time. We spent 4 nights in Waikiki and then moved to the Aulani for another 4 nights. It was the perfect place to spend time as a family and really enjoy and relax our trip to Hawaii.

Our check in was effortless and almost too friendly! Not really, but from the minute we stepped out of our car we were treated like part of the Aulani ohana. Leis were placed around our necks, we were greeted by a lovely young woman who escorted us to the check in desk and within a few minutes had our room key and were off to discover the resort. Our room was even ready early when we arrived at 12:00 which was great because we couldn't wait to get in the pool.

We got to our room which at first glance felt really small. We were in a Vacation Club room (we are not members but were able to book one of the rooms with a fridge and microwave) with one queen bed and a pull out sofa. I will also say that the bed was one of the least comfortable hotel beds I've ever been in, I was surprised. The pull out sofa wasn't particularly comfortable either, but might have been better than the queen bed. The bathroom was awesome and we all loved the shower, but we certainly could have used more space in the room. Also, you would think that Disney would accommodate for roll away beds in their rooms, and we were told that there weren't any. This would have been a huge help to us, although the only place we could have put one was the hallway. Two beds with a pull out sofa would have worked too... there doesn't seem to be many options if you aren't looking to spend a fortune on a 1 bedroom room. We did love the location of our room, it was a ground floor room that had an almost private lanai with a little path that came out right on the lawn where many of the activities were. It was quiet and peaceful and we all really liked it. It did make our room very dark at all times though.

We were only in our room to sleep, there was so much to do otherwise. The pools are incredible, we all agreed that the lazy river is our favorite out of all the ones we have been in, and the watersides were really fun too. We loved snorkeling in the lagoon and watching movies on a giant blow up screen on the lawn at night under the stars with the trade winds blowing. My favorite event was the storytelling around the fire pit every night, we went to almost every one. Sitting by the fire pit listening to Hawaiian folk tales told by awesome storytellers (all called "Uncle") was so cool, we all looked forward to it at the end of our day. The lagoon is small but we really liked playing in it and renting kayaks one morning. My son especially liked swimming out to a landing they have anchored that you can sit on and jump off.

Yes, the food is expensive and unless you have a car, you have limited options outside the resort. We did find happy hour at the Olelo Room, where the food was good (not great) and the drinks reasonably priced and you could sit outside while listening to local musicians. We had breakfast included every morning as part of our room price (mention that you are annual pass holders when you make your reservation!) at the Ulu Cafe which was basic but everyone enjoyed. Had we spent $50-60 every morning for the 4 of us, we might not have been so impressed. We went to the luau at Paradise Cove one night (15 minute walk from the hotel) and walked across the street for snacks (and a bottle of wine for mom and dad) to keep in the room at the ABC store.

The resort has a schedule every day that you can pick up at the front desk (shouldn't they be slipped under your door at night?). My biggest complaint about the resort is for the activities that you have to sign up in advance for in the Pau Hana room. We did love this room for the dvd and blue ray movies you could check out and take to your room and for the games that you can borrow and take to your room. We played several poolside! We also thought the Menehune Trail was really, really fun and this is where you start it. But if you check the daily activity schedule, there are a few things each day that require you to sign up for in advance. If the event fills up they create a waiting list. I tried to sign up for events every day we were there, but unless you set your alarm and get up before 8 am to be there when they open at 8, you are pretty much guaranteed a spot way down the wait list. The first morning I was there at 8:20, the second at 8:10 and the third morning I was there at 8:15. Isn't part of being on vacation NOT having to set an alarm? I had to say I was really surprised and even more than that, was disappointed. Not once did we get into any events, and my children were really bummed out about that. We did sign up for the wait list twice and still didn't manage to be able to partake. If you are paying the prices you are paying to stay at the Aulani, there should at least be enough sessions to meet the demand of the guests. They could easily do 2 or 3 events right after another if they had enough people (which they did when we were there, and that was just at the beginning of the summer before it got really busy.) I'd hate to be there in the middle of summer or during a holiday period.

The resort felt very un-Disney for the most part, aside from the occasional Mickey and Minnie sighting and the photographers walking around taking your picture (if you want) and handing you a photo pass. One of the kids' favorite things about our stay was going back to our room every night and looking at the pictures that had been taken (there is a button on the television that allows you to do that). When I say "un-Disney", I mean it doesn't feel like a theme park. It does feel like Disney in the way that Disney really does "get it". They get the idea of quality time with family, with taking time in the details, and that everything was very organized and together.

The scenery was beautiful. The staff was beyond friendly and infectious with their smiles and aloha spirit. My husband woke me up early one morning so we could float in the lazy river alone before it got crowded, we ended up on the watersides and didn't realize how long we'd been gone until the kids came to find us and tell us it was time for breakfast. We bonded as a family, laughed a lot, learned a lot and would definitely come back again. Hopefully we'll have an extra bed (or just some extra space), and be able to participate in more activities. But not if I have to set my alarm.

6 Thank rokkahulababy
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We are long-time Disney Vacation Club members and used our points to stay here for five nights in June. I can honestly say my family and I enjoyed every minute here. The area of Ko Olina is not as touristy as the rest of Oahu, so there aren't many visitor ammenities in the immediate area. All of our time, therefore, was spent lounging about the resort, which provided some much needed rest after a very full couple of weeks exploring the islands.

The resort is--in a word--SPLENDID. The design of the facilities is pure Disney, the rooms are spacious and beautifully designed, and the whole thing wraps around what amounts to a private waterpark equipped with pools, slides, snorkeling lagoons, and a lazy river. And if that wasn't enough, the resort is situated on the calm waters of one of Ko Olina's famous lagoons. How can the kids NOT have a great time!

The character breakfast at the Makahiki was outrageously expensive, but at least much of the fare was unique and savory. The resort provides a variety of great programs for kids and adults that help keep everyone entertained.

And my wife would simply not let me finish this review without praise for the spa. The spa facility is truly a marvel that was designed with great care and attention to provide ultimate relaxation. I can't image how you could do it better.

The resort was a GREAT experience!

Room Tip: Signing up for a spa treatment provides you full access to all the ammenities of the spa for as long...
2 Thank EvergladesLarry
North Augusta, South Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I, my wife, and my 10 year old son stayed at Aulani from May 19th - June 1st. We are Disney Vacation Club members; but, we stayed in a room instead of a villa since there must have been a special considering I got the room for 300 points for our whole stay. We thoroughly enjoyed Aulani; the pool area is fantastic & the beach superb. Our only complaint would be the supper we had the first night within Aulani's 2nd best restaurant which offered a buffet; it was $99 (2 adults + 1 child) plus tip for food which could have been much more tasty. The more upscale (non-buffet) restaurant will run nearly twice as much as the buffet because many items are a la carte. I am sure it tastes much better, but we were not wanting to spend that much. Most often we ate lunch at a the small Cafe on the property; it was reasonably tasty for resort food and cost about $14 for each adult and $9 for a child. We discovered the Marriot next door where we ended up eating 3-4 suppers and breakfasts. There are several good restaurants within the Marriot and you will spend 1/2 of what you would spend at Aulani. The Marriot is just a very short walk along the beach; you can be there in 5 minutes from the rear of Aulani. I believe it was Saturday night whereby the Marriot offered a seafood buffet (with King Crab legs) for $51 each. Across the street from the Aulani is a good restaurant called the Monkey Pod. The typical American franchised restaurants with reasonable prices are only about 10-15 minutes away should you have a car. We did rent a rental car at the Aulani through Alamo on 3 separate days for $89 each time; I do recommend returning the car each day otherwise you will incur a $30 parking fee every day. A car is not always necessary because one can catch shuttles to Pearl Harbor and other tours. The Aulani is remotely located on the dry side of the island. It is about a 35 mile ride to get to the North Shore or Honolulu. An advantage of the dry side is it is very unlikely you will get rained out at the resort when you decide to stay on the grounds. A nice showing of a Hawaiian Laua with a meal is located down the road; it's about a 25 minute walk from the Aulani. Many folks on Trip Advisor have complained about the crowds; well, it was not crowded at all during the end of May. We learned awhile back not to go on vacation during the Spring break time; we take our son out of school and try to vacation in late April, May, Sept, and Oct so as to avoid the masses. Be sure to go see the North Shores; it is beautiful. My son and wife swam with the Dolphins. What an awesome experience it was for them although it did cost twice as much as one can do it for in the Carribean. We hope to return; too bad flights cost so darn much! Have a great time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet; very well insulated. The bottom floors facing the pool have access to the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Barry A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
#8 of 84 in Honolulu
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!