“Fantastic trip”

Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We just returned from 8 nights & we had a great time. The resort is beautiful and the staff genuinely friendly. We had an ocean view (1540) and could also see the sun rise over Diamond Head. The pool areas were well maintained, but I thought the pool areas were a little slippery. There were plenty of lounge chairs available around the pool and the lagoon. The rooms lack storage so we had to use our suitcases which we stashed under the beds. The bathrooms were well appointed. Our children (12 & 13 year old boys) didn't do many of the on-site activities because there weren't many other tweens there at that time of year. I wish Aulani would have a breakfast plan for adults and children, not just the adults. The restaurants at Aulani were incredibly expensive for what you get. $150 for brunch for 4 is really high and we are used to New York prices. Go to Chuck's at the Marriott (free salad bar included). We stayed at Aulani during the Probowl week and there were a lot of players and their families. That was thrilling for my boys. It's a great family resort....I probably wouldn't stay there if I didn't have kids...

1  Thank cugz1117
There are newer reviews for Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Resort offered plenty of activities for young kids but not limited for children between 11 and 13 years old. The resort has its own protected beach area, shared with Marriott, that is not heavily impacted by the waves. We visited in December and the water was calm at the resort's beach.

Snorkel lagoon was a plus but it's only open between 10am and 5pm.

The resort is an excellent place for a family but not so much for adults.

Service was good. Photographer only goes around the pool area and Auntie's beach house so if you do not spend a lot of time there, you should bring a camera to take pictures and not rely on the resort's offer for photography.

Food was mediocre - although one could go across the street to MonkeyPod (food was good there especially the lobster pizza)

Tip: valet service has directions to most tourist attractions on an index card

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CaliFolks
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Good things first:Great room size we had a one bedroom villa.It had a full kitchen and washer and dryer which I always love but I rarely cook on vacation.The bathroom had a jacuzzi which my nine year old loved.We had two balconies with partial ocean view.The pools were big,they had about two slides,lazy river,kiddie play area,adult pool,about two bars,Aunty's kids club,two shops and about two main restaurants and some small snack shops.The food was great and the buffet (day and night)was amazing with king crab legs,shrimp,prime rib and a little kids buffet.They also have this cool interactive game for the kids.They give you an IPad and you look around for clues in the resort and when you find them things start to move.
Not so good things:I found all the pools to be dirty.When we walk in the room the first day,I could tell they did not vacuum because there was crumbs and hair on the floor.The shower in the bathroom was full of mold on the walls and in the shower head,which could make you sick if your sensitive to mold.The spa was beautiful but also very dirty with hair every where.Also the beach was like a lagoon and needs to be cleaned up.Besides the cleanliness(which could easily be fixed)This resort is perfect for kids my only request would be to add more Disney shops and more resturants.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank TravelWithChrissy
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We enjoyed a recent 4 day Stay in Late January. The property was beautiful, the service was great, the food was excellent. It was a bit on the pricey side. As is typical of Disney sites, the property was very well designed, It never felt crowded and everything was efficient without long waits or frustrations. It was great stop for a few days on a 2 week escape to Hawaii.

Room Tip: We'd request an upper floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is our second visit to Aulani. We stayed 2 years ago when it first opened. It is still great. The greeting when you arrive is still very welcoming. The staff are great and very helpful, rooms are great. It is hard to fault Aulani. The extensions add to the property.
One issue we had 2 years ago was the food on site, this is still a problem, not much choice and expensive. $16.00 for a chicken ceaser salad with 90% lettuce is an example of expensive.
We stayed in January and I would suggest NOT to stay over a long weekend(ie Martin Luther King Day). This weekend was a nightmare, not only did we have that, but we also had Kids film day on the Saturday. Aulani became so crowded we were unable to use the lazy river as it was too full. The water slides became congested with long waiting times. The adult pools were full of kids. It was a nightmare.
Apart from this weekend nightmare the rest of the stay was great and very relaxing. I would stay again but at a different time.
If you have stayed before the show on the grass is still the same as when it opened.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up pool and ocean view
1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Definitely felt at home here at Aulani. Beautiful location and fantastic staff! I wish they had more stuff for kids OVER 10 but not yet TEEN. The ONE daily activity they had by the pool on most days, was too babyish for my 10 and 12 year old. (although they SHOULD do it a few times a day - not just once!) And there should be more games/activities for that age group as well. And although I loved the Hawaiian themed music, hearing it every day all day long got a bit tiresome. They should have a 2-3 times a day where they play OTHER music for an hour to mix it up, for people who like to hang by the pool all day. Also would LOVE a pool bar on the adult side/area. Dwayne by the pools serving us drinks most days was WONDEFUL. 5 stars to his class and service!

We listened to a wonderful duo singing together on Thursday night at the outside lounge area - I forget who they were but they ONLY played there on Thursdays and we loved them - not just because they didn't sing Hawaiian music, but because they were fantastic!

Love being a DVC member and the villas are gorgeous. We will definitely come back, especially since this is our home resort, but because it's not all inclusive, will only be every 2-3 years.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was our first visit to Aulani and Hawaii. I went with my wife and 2 kids (10 and 8). We stayed for two weeks in January in an ocean view suite. Note that we are Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members.

We absolutely loved it! We highly recommend it.

There's so much I could say but I'll stick to some experiences that really stuck out for me.

We arrived around 1130 at night in Honolulu and rented a car to get to Aulani. Note that parking without DVC is expensive. The resort is on the West side of Oahu and is easy to find but I can see getting there could be a challenge or expensive because of its location relative to the airport. Just plan ahead. Next time we will likely taxi or shuttle from the airport and rent a car as needed.

From check-in to check-out the staff were absolutely amazing. We had positive experiences all around and several times they went above and beyond.

Food - dining at the resort, as expected can be expensive. Ulu Cafe, Granny's Snack Stop, Little 'Opihis and Off the Hook are good bets for grabbing a quick healthy meal. I found that at certain times Ulu could be significantly lined up which surprised me given Disney's reputation for moving people. But if there was a line up we just went elsewhere or came back later. Off the Hook, while we were there, seemed under utilised. Maybe people didn't think to go to the East side of the resort. Note that with Off the Hook they offer pool side service during the day and their menu changes to appetizers in the evening. I would suggest getting snacks (We found the ABC store across the street adequate but also drove to a nearby Costco) because they are nice to have to offset cost and if you have hungry kids and a line up... well you may know. We went to the fine dining Ama Ama restaurant twice. The food was great but we didn't feel like the price was worth it. Same with the buffet, great food but not worth the price. If you have younger kids you may want to splurge for a character breakfast as it is a fun time. Just book those in advance. Especially in the mornings the buffet was really booked up. If having a kitchen in your room fits your style and budget I would recommend doing some cooking in the room. At the least get snacks to have on hand. Also there are some decent restaurants within walking distance. Monkey Pod was one of our favorites. They have half price appetizers during happy hour and really good food.

The pools and the beach at the lagoon were fantastic. We had one really busy day and I could see how getting lounge chairs with shade could be a challenge in peak season. The sand at the beach was great and you could get stuff from Makiki Joes to play at the beach (sand toys, boogey boards etc). The ocean water was great too. The beach is one of a series of lagoons with beaches in the area. We checked a couple of them out and they all seemed nice.

Being there for two weeks we found it necessary to get off the resort. Locals, staff and trip advisor were great for finding stuff to do around Oahu. There is a tour company at Aulani. Some of the tours they offered were Disney exclusive and may be worth it. Most tours though I would book or do on your own. Outside of rush hour its pretty quick and easy to get around and the scenery is beautiful.

We had an ocean view room. It was a beautiful view. But for us 2 steps in any direction from the hotel was beautiful so we won't be worrying about that next time. I could see how some people might see the other hotels or parking lots and that would bug them.

Take the time to explore Aulani. Typical Disney with lots of attention to detail. The Menehune Adventure Trail and the StarLit Hui were hits with my family. As was the tube ride. My wife loved the yoga on the beach in the morning.

It was an incredible family vacation. We have a long list of things still to do in Hawaii in general and Aulani in particular. We'll defintiely be back! Beautiful resort, beautiful island, and really friendly people.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views.
5  Thank Skepturn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
#8 of 84 in Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#6 of 84 in Honolulu
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!