“Excelent hotel”

Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed May 14, 2013

A bit expensive, but we bought 5 nights per 3 nights. The medium price was 262 dollars per day. Considering this price, it was a GREAT cost-benefit. At Oahu you want to visit the whole island. This hotel is a medium range drive to every point in the island. It's a great localization. You can go to the Northshore, Waikiki, Lanikai, which are opposite ways, with only a 40 minutes drive. It's a quiet place with a great golf course, nice beaches, a place for family and romance, you choose. The food is at a good price, not so expensive. Disney's standard makes the place unique.

Room Tip: We paid 262 dollars per day. It was a week sale we got at Orbitz.com
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mario C
There are newer reviews for Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are still recovering from separation anxiety from such a great holiday at Aulani! We stayed 8 nights at The Sheraton Waikiki and then 6 nights at Aulani. I had done a lot of research so wasn’t sure what to expect as you get so many different stories. From the minute we arrived everything was impressive.

We stayed in a studio villa as we wanted the microwave and fridge however don’t expect it to be bigger than a standard room. It had a queen bed and a queen fold out sofa. We asked for a table and chair to be moved out of the room to give us more space which was a great move – still not sure why all the excessive furniture. If you were thinking of young ones sleeping on the bed beware that they are very high to accommodate luggage storage underneath – great idea but not good for little ones. I would say the rooms were on the smallish side however who goes to Hawaii to spend time in your room – they were absolutely fine for us.

All the facilities were great. The lazy river, the pool, beach, waterpark, slides – couldn’t fault them. Yes, some more food alternatives would be great (please see review on restaurants) but adequate for us. Auntys Beach House was fantastic. Clean, well organised, secure and the staff were lovely. We only utilised it a bit and our children (4 and 6) enjoyed themselves. They have a movie room, computer games, outdoor play equipment, colouring and games – something for everyone. If you only want to ‘free play’ you don’t need to book (only need to book for certain activities) and it’s FREE!

All the extra activities were well run from the Starlit Hui, movie night, firepit story telling etc. Uncle was a favourite! I loved the daily iwa of the next days activities (delivered with the turn down service each night) so I could plan what we were going to do. The beauty of it was there was plenty to do if you wanted, a lot for free and then if you just wanted to laze by the pool you could do that as well.

It was difficult if you wanted to get multiple chairs under an umbrella by the pool however it didn’t worry us as we were in the pool most of the time.

My one tip is to get a photopass asap and then get every photographer you see to take photos as it was only $99 for all your photos on CD versus for example $10 each. In hindsight this is what we should have done.

The setting was delightful and 6 nights was perfect for our family. We can’t wait to do it all again in a couple of years.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Budmango
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was our first time in Hawaii and I really think another Island would have been more our style.

Aulani is beautiful but the food isn't good. Even at 'Ama 'Ama I was surprised it was just okay. We've eaten at Palo on the cruiseline so we know Disney can do fine dining well.

My daughter loves camps like on the cruiseline. She didn't care for Auntie's.

The shows were awesome and staff was helpful. Pool area was great but, surprisingly, a bit dirty.

I had a poor spa experience but they were under construction so I'll cut them some slack.

Room Tip: Insist on close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed in a studio DVC room that we booked through David's Vacation Rentals. We had an Island Gardens View room. With a DVC room you get free parking (which is a big savings). In the future I would recommend either springing for ocean view or going for standard view, the view was nothing impressive and did not make me want to sit on my lanai like I did at our condo in Maui. There is a/c and a ceiling fan.
The room includes a pack and play, two chairs at the table, a toaster, kettle, small fridge, coffee maker, and microwave. There are 4 glasses, 4 mugs, 4 saucers, and a few sets of disposable cutlery and plates. There are also chopsticks, a can opener, and a corkscrew in the room.

You are greeted with leis and necklaces for the children.
The service is impeccable. They welcome you "home" and all the staff is fantastic! My daughter fell and hit her head and all the staff (including a photographer rushed to help and summoned a life guard to take a look). There are lots of great Disney activities, character meet and greets, parties, etc. It is very much Disney and we love Disney! The Starlight Hui was like a Luau without food and it was followed by a nice Disney party on the lawn.

The kids loved Aunty's Beach house and every activity they did there (my kids are 4 and 8). It is so nice that it's included! We didn't leave Ko Olina at all during our 5 day trip, there is so much to do on site! They publish a daily schedule that lists all the activities. For more info, there isn't the standard hotel binder, you look stuff up on your TV.

We did our grocery shopping at Target, but the shop in the hotel, has some food (milk, eggs, easy mac you can buy for your room). Target BTW did not have a good selection and was out of lots of basics.

The pools are beautiful and lifeguards plentiful. You can borrow a free life jacket for little ones.

Some cons: my kids got overwhelmed by all the options! It's very fake and Disney-like. You can forget you're in Hawaii. There are few food options for vegetarians. It was hard for little ones to reach the sink to brush their teeth or was their hands--I was surprised stools weren't provided. Laundry is extremely expensive: $3/wash and another $3/dry. There aren't that many chairs in the room either.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jen T
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is my third time to Oahu. We booked our trip for May 1-5 for our family (me, wife, 3 year old boy) and another family (husband, wife, and 4/2 year old boys). We chose to go back to Hawaii specifically for the Aulani Disney Resort.

As everybody else has mentioned already, the hotel is 30-40 minutes from the the airport. My wife had been on the phone before our trip to arrange transportation to the hotel but ultimately gave up since they insisted we would need a separate taxi (for our luggage) in addition to a limo. So we just took a taxi which cost about $75, no biggie. I'd recommend contacting SPEEDI SHUTTLE beforehand and arrange transportation from the airport.

When we first arrived our initial impression was positive. The lobby areas are beautifully decorated, friendly staff, overall a nice hotel. Upon check-in I asked if we could stay on the same floor as our friends, but they said the only room available would be an additional $650/night! We'll pass. Elevators are super quick and never a wait. We had ocean view rooms which were worth the extra $60/night.

We all checked into our rooms and went downstairs to get some food. Everything except for Off the Hook was closed until dinner. So having to other options we went and ordered. We are not poor or cheap, but we expect to GET WHAT WE PAY FOR. The food SUCKED, especially for the cost. Burgers ordered medium came extra-well. Fries were cold. Panini sandwich was cold. Service was terrible. In general the food is EXPENSIVE and that would be ok if it was any good. But its not! The breakfast buffet would cost us $200 for the group and the omelets were sub-par. The only thing that we really enjoyed were the mickey mouse waffles, which were crisp and yummy. It took us two days of paying through the nose for mediocre food before we started going across the street to eat. Just Tacos was great. Wish they had one in LA. MonkeyPad was also good, much MUCH better than anything in the resort. Roys for dinner was excellent. I would recommend going to the ABC store and buying lots of snacks to enjoy poolside. Just make sure you don't get too close to the water or else you will get reprimanded.

The pools, slides, and lazy river were fine. Very enjoyable. I did appreciate they enforced the bracelet rule. Its a pain the butt to get bracelets every morning, but it keeps non-guest out so paying guests can enjoy. The 'beach' is nice, but honestly its boring after an hour for adults. Even the kids got bored after an hour.

The room itself was nicely decorated. Bathroom was nice, furniture was fine. The bed was HORRIBLE. I (and everybody else in our party) honestly didn't get good sleep the entire trip. The bed was soft and the pillows were big and hard. Overall its was not premium comfortable bedding. Its not the type of bed I'd expect from a $500+/night room.

Overall the hotel has its pluses and minuses. But I wouldn't go back. MAYBE if it were closer to waikiki I'd consider it since I'd have options, but its secluded to the point that you won't have other options for dining, entertainment, or other beaches. I'll take my good memories of our trip and next time I would venture somewhere new.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view. Its worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dangool123
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the Aulani as part of an incentive trip I earned and we were thrilled with the location, the attention to detail (so very Disney!), and the grounds. We have travelled far and wide and I have to applaud the Disney imagineers for this hotel! Every aspect of the hotel and grounds was planned out to the smallest detail so as to afford the best experience for those who stayed here. Our room was on the 3rd floor (lobby level) so our balcony was twice the size of those above us. We had 2 chairs, a lounger and a table, with room for even more. Our view was of a garden with hints of parking lot, but for the amount of time we spent in our room, the size of the balcony made up for it! We didn't have to worry about a car, so the parking issues we heard so much about weren't an issue for us. Our transfer from our hotel in Waikiki was only $75 and from the airport we could have caught a cab directly to the Aulani for $55. We chose to finish off our vacation spending as much time as we could relaxing in the sun and sand by the beach. There were no shortage of beach chairs or Disney cast members to assist you with answers to your every question. Food was pricey, but no more than other hotels, and we didn't have issues with finding places to eat or food options to satisfy! We loved the seclusion of the Aulani as we weren't tempted to venture away from the resort as we were during our stay in the bustle and hustle of Waikiki. We wandered along the coastline watching the sea turtles feeding and sunning themselves and took hundreds of great photos that we hope will do justice to the amazing landscapes. Our visit to the Aulani may have to be a photo album all on it's own!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Prairie_Dusters
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Aulani 10/2012
We had the 3 bedroom villa.

There was not enough seating (2 chairs, 1 sofa). Hardly adequate for a group watching a movie at the end of day. The dining room table in the villa was awesome and had enough room for all though.

Kitchen was pretty - but a U shaped and not functional for a big group. It had an impossible surface to clean - it was black and coated with oily stuff so it would shine. Not well designed to actually cook in. Drawers were by the stove with the silverware & the utensils on the far bottom. Really - knives in the bottom drawer where kids can easily get them?? Hard to get to the sink & garbage can if someone is cooking. Refrigerator is in the outer limits. Instead of a work triangle, it's more like a work check mark. 2 entrances to villa with huge hall running behind the kitchen - giant waste of space. No reason for poor kitchen design.

Washer & dryer are outside of the mbr - it is impossible to do laundry unless everyone is up because it makes so much noise.

A rice maker instead of a blender or food processor or elec can opener. Chop sticks instead of spatulas - very weird. 1 dishtowel in kitchen that serves 12/13.

The iron didn't work. The DVD didn't work - we had to call to get different ones/and help. It took 2 men to fix the DVD - and then they told us 1 of the movies would not run anyway. We were told by town hall that they would give us a movie that worked - what a surprise the next evening when we picked up the movie and surprise - it still didn't work! So, not only could we not all watch the movie due to seating, but we really couldn't watch the movie because the equipment didn't work.

Rooms were very comfy - no DVD in mbr. Toto bidet toilet with heated seat (yep in Hawaii) & water & air to clean ones self seemed over the top in mbr. Air con'd doesn't seem to work right in bedrooms when the doors are closed.

Pool - you could not sit on the edge of the pool with your beverage - the staff reprimanded us.
It was horrible. This seemed weird - we don't recall being policed by Disney in the past. No signs saying stay 6 feet away with your beverage either. Very uncomfortable. Very creepy.

Trick or treat was 1 hour from 4-5. We were in transit, so we missed it. It was such a non-big deal on Aulani, that I wondered if we were on Disney property at all.

You have to pick up your schedule of what is happening here - we had not partaken in any activities. Didn't know what was going on.

We were not feeling Walt!!!

I just want to say that this is a beautiful resort, but it's pricey - point wise - and we did not feel
that the accomodations were truly family friendly. We are big fans of Disney and have many great adventures in Orlando. I can't say that I can endorse it with my whole heart. I keep comparing everything to Disney in Orlando.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank One2beat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
#8 of 84 in Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!