Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
$199
$212
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club(Kapolei)(Great Value!)
$884
$119
$209
Official Website
$119
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$169
5,678 results
All reviewslazy riverama amaaunty's beach housedvc memberscharacter breakfastbedroom villawater slidesulu cafecast membersrainbow reefoff the hookkids clubscavenger huntstarlit huimickey mouseacross the streetcommunity room
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Me, my husband Tom his brother Joe and wife Annie spent 12 days at Aulani compliments of their daughter Melanie and husband Martin who are Disney Vacation Members..Hell of a gift isn't it! We're all in our mid 60's and have been dying to go to Hawaii..boy did we go..We were scheduled to be there a week but ended up with 4 extra days because the flights out to Arizona and Philly got canceled due to Sandy. Because of the construction (not a big deal) Aulani gave us 2 free nights and Melanie gave us 2 more nights so we were about as happy as pigs in poop! I have thought and thought and can't come up with one negative thing to say about Aulani. The C M s could not of done more for us. We were treated like kings and queens. We hung out on the beach most days..thank you Jordan.."our" beach man..at least it felt like it..Greeted with Good Morning Mr and Mrs Gleaves. (yeah..2 sets of us).how are you, what can I do for you? He'd set up our umbrellas and chairs talk and give us recommendations of what to do or where to go..never felt rushed or like he had somewhere to go etc like in some of the higher end resorts. The beach lagoon was just fine with us..we could stare, read our books and were just as happy as clams. The hotel was spectacular. Words don't do it justice..Check out their pictures on their site.
Our room..The Standard View Efficiency looked out to the convention center grounds..perfect sunrise views..later we got Garden View with views of the Wedding Chapel and the ocean..views weren't important to us but they were pretty.
The Lazy river..We got our fat butts in the tubes..no wait..and floated looking up at the beautiful flowers surrounding the river as we floated under trees and bridges. We did the Volcano water slide too. Ya gotta do the slide..and I have new knees!
People say its expensive to eat there..yup..but you don't have to go that way...we got the refillable cup the first day..$18.99 and good for the whole time you're there. can be filled with coffee, tea, soda etc..no booze. We would fill our cup with coffee in the morning at one of the filling stations and go to breakfast. We ate at Ama Ama every day...yeah..their top of the line restaurant. Huge portions. Cheese and ham omelet and potatoes for $13. or 3 huge plate sized blueberry pancakes for $13.. and we would split it and the waiters/waitresses were more then happy to accommodate you with extra plates and if you told them before they placed the order you were splitting they split it in the kitchen. and NO..they didn't look down their noses at us for sharing. Especially Roxanne..our favorite waitress and Tait too. The girls at the Ama Ama reservation desk couldn't be sweeter. For lunch they have the snack stands around the pools..Mamas..buffalo ranch Chicken Sandwich..crusty roll, huge..$6.95..and of course drinks free at the filling station. later we would go over to the ABC Country Store. Nice sandwiches for under $7. Grilled cheese with fries for $3.99. Lots of t shirts etc at good prices.
We didn't think the buffets were worth it. We would never eat $35/$45 worth of food. I think people go there because they think its the only was to see and get pictures with the characters...NOT..Mick, Min Goof Stitch etc are always somewhere floating around and we got pictures with all of them with no wait. just had to use your head and wait till the crowd died down..not that big anyway low season...or get them as they entered or left the buildings. Happy little critters never complained.
We did fall in love with Aunty's Beach House..visited there..given a tour..and made a project..yeah we're nuts..lots of security there. We had to wash our hands to enter. No pictures of anyone's kids..oh how we missed our g kids at that time..spent hours saying.."gee wish Molly was here...Grace and Lily would love this..Maggie wouldn't leave here"...like that...they accompanied us through House which is huge..so much for kids to do..dress up, games, movies, projects..check the site..So worth it! We felt like kids again.

Room Tip: standard view is fine..you're not in there enough to care
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StephanieMG47
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My family of four stayed here this October. My son who is 7 loved the Aunty's Beachouse and it was hard to get him to join us for family activities. Needless to say seems like he enjoyed his break from his parents. My daughter who is 11 thought Aunty's House was okay but preferred to swim in the lazy river or hang out at the beach. This hotel has beautiful grounds and so much too do. I am very pleased with the activities provided especially the Liu show they have with the characters. The show gets two thumbs up. My husband and I also enjoyed the lazy river and slides. It was like being on vacation at a water park. We also very much so enjoyed hanging out at the bar watching sports and having an array of very stiff cocktails while the kids played. The hotel room was nice we had a two bed partial ocean view. The room was a bit small for four so we moved furniture around but we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. The bathtub in the bathroom is deep and very inviting, I loved that:). The fine dining is very pricey but also very good. I would reccommend eating off site to cut the costs down or going to the local safeway and getting a few groceries. We bought milk, cereal , bread, coldcuts...etc.etc. The hotel has its own beach/ocean area where employees will bring and set up umbrellas for you and serve food and drinks on the beach. We did that alot of the time. Disney has outdone itself on Aulani. Service is 5 star employees are very nice and I hope we can have another cfhance to go again while our children are still small. Highly reccommended for families with children

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Claudette A
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Okay, now it's my turn to write a review. About a month ago, me and one other of my family members checked out the aulani after a year or two of convincing my family to go. Once I got there, it was beautiful scenery, friendly service, and total luxury. It was like a dream! The lobby was incredible and I really wanted to buy the soundtrack playing in the lobby. I loved how they gave you a lei when you first arrive.. No not a fake one with the paper flowers, a real one with exotic flowers. Anyways, we walked straight to our rooms and gazed amazed at our view of the lagoon and our room. We hardly ever stayed in the room because there was so much to do! Of course that's a good thing! We could not get enough of the lazy river.. Or the slide. The lagoon was awesome too. We went paddle boarding and kayaking and we had the best time. The food (buffet) was pretty okay, but we were so hungry we didn't care! Even though this place and the flights here were so expensive, we went at just the right time ( September) when all of the tourists are gone and it's not crowded. Listen to me when I say it is worth EVERY penny we spent. There are way too many things to do. Which is why we are saving u for our next trip this coming year! Also, rent a car! Th alamo service is amazing. We got a convertible and a toyota camri and drive around all of Oahu to the dole plantation to sunset beach and witnessed sea turtles coming to shore- amazing.

Room Tip: I would say choose the ocean view room, so worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sofia C
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My hubby and I stayed for my birthday in mid October and had a fantastic, relaxing time at the Aulani. We stayed in an ocean view room on the 15th floor and absolutely loved it!! We did not rent a car on arrival at the airport and decided to take the advice of other TripAdvisor travelers and use the service of "Charley's Taxi" 877-531-1333. This is definitely the way to go, very convenient and about $55.00 one way. We were staying for 5 days and planned to relax during our stay, but if you plan to stay longer, maybe renting a car is your style, but just keep in mind that hotel parking is $35.00 a day and the Aulani is quite far from Waikiki, so maybe driving back and forth would get old,

There is not a huge variety of sit down dining choices at the Aulani. We found that walking a few blocks from the hotel offered a few options if not wanting to eat at the hotel. In a small shopping corner there was "Just Tacos", a Hawaiian Barbecue and an ABC store that actually had a nice variety of things you could buy for snacks and lunch. We even walked over there a few mornings since they had a hot grill and enjoyed breakfast. Other mornings, we just enjoyed fruit and yogurt that we had purchased the nite before at the ABC store and enjoyed it on our balcony since we had such a beautiful view from our room. We had one dinner at "Ama Ama" and did not care for it too much. My hubby said his dinner was ok, but I was not that impressed with mine. When we return to the Aulani in the future, we will probably give the Ama Ama another try for lunch, but probably not dinner again.

The hotel offers a shuttle with designated depart times that will take you to a few other hotels near the Aulani and also over to the Ko'Olina golf course where you can have a nice lunch/dinner at "Roy's Hawaiian Fusion" There is also a nice restaurant we tried "Chuck's Steakhouse" it was located inside the Marriott's Vacation Club Resort. You can easily get there since it is one of the stops on the shuttle route from the Aulani.

We found all the staff at the Aulani to be very helpful and friendly. Everyone is professional and ready to asst with any need you may have. They really go out of their way to make sure your vacation experience is enjoyable and memorable.

We were just two adults and truly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to couples who enjoy Disney and of course to families since they really have so many activities to keep the little ones entertained.

They are the middle of doing some enhancements on the property and I think they are going to re-open their "quiet pool" and also have a few more options for quick service meals. We did not find that these enhancements interfered with our stay or impacted our enjoyment in any way

We will definitely return, thank you Aulani for making my birthday special and memorable!! :-)

Room Tip: Ocean View on a higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RxVacation
Reviewed November 5, 2012

First off, I must say, my wife and I stayed here without kids. We are vacation club members so it was more about using our points then having a family vacation. We were there at a time that it wasn't that busy so I didn't run into similar issues with there being no chairs or tubes for the lazy river.

The resort itself is beautiful and very well maintained. Our room was very clean and functional, and we liked that Disney made it so you could store your luggage under the bed, which is unlike their other resorts. There are a few resorts on site and the food was good. We had dinner at the Ama Ama restaurant which is their high end option. The food was very good, but very expensive. The cost for my wife and I was north of $250 and we each only had a glass of wine. We had another reservation for later in our vacation for that same restaurant but cancelled it as we didn't deem it worth the money. Instead, I would recommend exploring the other resorts in the nearby coves. The JW Marriott next door had a great Italian restaurant that was half that and just as good or better. Also, the Mexican restaurant across the street was very good and fairly priced.

The location of the resort can be a little challenging if you want to explore the island. We had a rental car for our entire stay and could come and go as we wanted, but still it was a fair distance from everything. We had to drive everywhere. If you want to explore the island I would suggest a rental car in advance as some folks we met told us they were charged quite a bit more when renting for a day at the resort.

The staff at the resort were always friendly and willing to help. Around by the pool area, the service wasn't very good. You could rarely find someone to take your order. When you could actually find someone to take your order, they were good, but most of the time you had to go and find them. Also, after a few days of eating at the pool, we could have used some more variety. I would recommend shopping at the ABC store across the street, and packing food to the pool/beach. Especially if you go to the beach as there is no service out there.

All in all we had an enjoyable time, but if we return to Oahu we would probably stay down in Waikiki as there is a little more there to do from a night life and restaurant perspective.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple