“Beautiful sailboat, a fun crew and good old nature”

Ko Olina Ocean Adventures
Catamaran Sail and Snorkel on Oahu
Ranked #2 of 15 Tours in Kapolei
Stavanger, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful sailboat, a fun crew and good old nature”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Me and my girlfriend went on the catamaran in lowseason so we were lucky enough to only be 6persons going on this tour, seeing seaturtles, dolphins and whales the scuba guy did his best to find interesting stuff on the snorkel aswell. Best value of the daycruise boats no doubt.

2 Thank Ashwa

Melbourne, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Dolphins and whale watching, what a day!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A great day out, great experience swimming with turtles, dolphins and whale watching very close.
Our captain and co pilot were great entertainment and very helpful throughout the day out.

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing day”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Went out on the Ko Olina Catmaran sailing experience, note there 2 different websites - one for sailing and one for powerboat experiences. The Catmaran was roomy, comfortable and really enjoyable. If you book online, you get fish-food included in the price. You can hire wetsuits, but the water when I visited was easily warm enough to manage without. On arrival, you are offered a soda and chips before boarding.

We were lucky enough to see a lot of whales, including a really spectacular complete breach. We then went on to 2 separate dive sites. Although we didn't get to see any dolphins (boo) the snorkeling was great, and the fish and turtles were amazing.

The crew were friendly, relaxed and entertaining. The journey back was completed with food and drinks on board, and another quick look at the whales who were out in their forces that day. Transfers both ways were on time and the driver was pleasant, if a little over enthusiastic about the Ko Olina resort.

I'd definitely recommend this trip and felt the value for money was good.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank nicolevharris
melbourne
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Dont Go If You Are Prone to Seasickness! Threw Up Six Times!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We are a party of 3, from Melbourne Australia. Me and my partner in our 40s and our daughter turning 16 soon. We love to snorkel and been to Great Barrier Reef, NZ and various Asian countries for snorkeling.

Decided to join this tour after reading reviews fr Tripadvisor. Big Mistake as this was more of a boat trip instead of snorkeling.

We go in a catamaran that seats about 30 people. We went on the 6.15am trip. It was a sunny day and wind was about 13mph. They took us on a boat ride for about 30mins looking for whales, the Cat was turning here and there, stopping in the middle of the ocean, etc, which was the beginning of our motion sickness. It was like a roller coaster ride except on the water.

The Cat was rocking terribly and bobbing, esp. when it stops in the middle of the ocean waiting for a whale to be sighted, and when the one small whale was finally sighted, it was about 100feet away, just the fins and tail was seen, and in one instance it jumped up and back into the water. I did not see it as I was so seasick but my family saw it. This was the only whale (small one) we saw, after about 45mins on the Cat. My 16yo then started to feel sea sick as well, whilst I was like 75% into the seasickness.

I know, Ive read all the directions as to how to prevent seasickness eg. no heavy/greasy/spicy food, I only had a protein bar for breakfast, which should have helped, took two 400mg ginger tabs, sipped on cold water throughout the trip and sucked on strong peppermint candies, looked at the horizon, etc. Despite all these, I threw up 6times, which was a first in my life of sea activities!

After whale hunting, we were asked to try on snorkeling gear, etc, which added to my seasickness and my daughter's. We were then shipped to Turtle Canyon and all were asked to jump into the ocean when we spotted some turtles.

The snorkeling was awesome, visibility was like 25feet and my daughter/partner had a superb time snorkeling and feeding the fishes. They saw several turtles ans hundreds of fishes. As I threw up few times, and was so unwell, getting into the water did not help either and I started throwing up into the ocean whilst standing on the stairs of the Cat. I forced myself to snorkel near the Cat but gave up after 5mins. Honestly, the view into the ocean bed was really amazing, water was so clear, one can even see the texture of the corals and the ocean floor. Unfortunately, after abt 10mins, everyone was asked to jump back into the Cat.

We then went to hunt for dolphins! OMG! It was the longest sea trip I felt I ever had and kept begging in my head for it to end soon. By that time, several other tourist were starting to feel seasick as well, though not as bad as me.

We spotted pods of Spinner dolphins about 20feet away and again, we were asked to jump in. My family went in, I could not go at first, stayed on the Cat and after 3mins or so, the Skipper asked for the snorkeling gear and floats back from me, I said I would like to try to go in again and he said if u want to go, u better go now, as he is going to summon all the rest back in about 3mins and I was thinking to myself, What The Heck, they have only been snorkeling for 5mins!

All in all, to cut a long review short, as my iphone is running out of battery, if there is anyone in your family that is likely to get seasick, this tour is not recommended. If you are looking for a snorkeling tour, this is not recommended. If you are looking for a speedy boat trip, this is recommended, as throughout the tour, you only snorkel for 20mins, the most.

We all wished there was a tour that actually takes us to those 2 snorkelling spots only, minus the whale hunting, which triggered the seasickness. The snorkelling with the Dolphins was amazing and once in a lifetime. We will not do this tour again.

2 Thank bearsticky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Thank you so much!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Where to start! The grounds are just spectacular! I was a little nervous because of a bad experience in Mexico ( I know.. ) when it came to snorkling, my fear was gone in a matter of seconds! We lucked out and had a smaller group so we left a little earlier than planned. Spencer and Tim were extremely friendly and very knowledgable. You could tell that these guys love their job ( who wouldn't!) They made sure that your equipment fitted well and respected the environment around. There were 5 of us in my family which one was a six year old who has never been snorkling before. They made him feel comfortable and was great with him when he did get scared and wanted to go back in the boat. First stop was turtle town and it was sooooo hard not trying to smile with your mask on as soon as your head went under water and there was turtles everywhere!!! We did a couple of practice runs into the water for if and when we would see dolphins. And that we did!!! Towards the end we had some spare time so we did the " snorkel tow ". WOW!!!! There was about 6 of us on two ropes and off we went.... Right at the end we spotted a pod of dolphins which were maybe 15ft away from my feet!!! I originally thought my ears were popping from the plane ride but it turned out that was the dolphins!! This adventure put the cherry on top of my trip!
I truly recommend this excursion, it worth every penny spent. We were served a snack at the end which was delicious! These guys know what they are doing and put your safety first!!
Thank you Spencer and Tim for the wonderful experience my family and I enjoyed every minute!

1 Thank Chelsey L