“Excellant stay at Ko Olina”

Beach Villas Resort
Madison, Wisconsin
“Excellant stay at Ko Olina”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here in 2009 time frame. We still remember the stay. The restaurants are little pricy. but we went to nearby costco and bought lots of food, cooked at the hotel room.
Kids enjoyed the stay too. The hotel staffs are very friendly helpful.

We will recommond this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dee R

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
bedford, ma
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We rented unit B-102 (Beach Tower) from Starts Int'l Hawaii in February 2013. I was dubious about being on the ground floor, but the price was right so we gave it a try. It was GREAT! The unit was beautiful and well stocked, but the best part was the easy-in/easy-out access. We were the first unit inside the doors, and the elevator down to the garage was right around the corner. I can't count how many times we were all in the car, ready to leave the garage, when someone realized they had forgotten something. We just pulled into the circle driveway, hopped out of the car and in through the doors, and we were right at our unit. We had a short walk to the pools and the lagoon. Unfortunately the bigger pool and jacuzzi were undergoing renovation/repair, so they were closed the whole time we were there. But our rental agent informed us ahead of time (when she got the notice) and reduced our price by 10% to compensate. Given that it wasn't her fault, I thought this was very fair. Our unit didn't have a pool or ocean view, but it did have a big lanai with a grassy lawn beside it so the outdoor area seemed very spacious. We were very pleased with our unit and the Beach Villas overall. Would definitely stay here again, except that we don't usually stay in Ko'Olina for an entire week and that is the minimum for these rentals.

Room Tip: B-102 (ground floor, Beach Tower) was so convenient. Loved it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank camp_boo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for 8 nights from March 2-9. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here - the quality of the condos was OUTSTANDING: beautiful and spacious. The property was clean and well-maintained. However there are certainly some things that you should note before you go.

PROS:
-The condos are wonderful. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean view condo. From the top-of-the-line appliances in the kitchen to the spacious bathrooms to (a surprising) washer and dryer in the unit, we were truly impressed by the quality of the condo and the amount of space we had. Little touches, like TVs in every bedroom and waters already stocked in the fridge, made it special. The only disappointment was the size of the lanai: It only had two seated chairs and was TINY. From the photos I viewed online, they seemed a little bigger but in reality they are very small.

-The housekeeping staff comes every day, just like in a hotel. Given - there are a lot of appliances and things to cover/clean in a large condo, there were a few things that were dirty upon arrival (a few forks I found etc had not been washed). It was a little gross, but the housekeeping staff was incredibly friendly and it was nice to have towels replaced and beds made every day.

-Walk right down to the beach! The beaches in the Ko Olina area (man-made coves) are wonderful because they are shallow, not rocky, and since there are only a few other resorts in the area (the Disney Aulani, The Marriott's two resorts) - but several coves among these resorts - it never got crowded like Waikiki Beach. It felt like a private oasis! It also looked like you could rent paddleboats on the beach. How fun! I would imagine these would be perfect beaches for kids.

-The pool area looked really nice. While only the quiet pool was open during our stay for maintenance (which, ahem, became no longer the "quiet pool" even though the management claimed quiet hours would be enforced - they weren't). However, I can only imagine that the pool areas (when both are open) are a wonderful oasis. The property is very clean and well maintained at all times.

-The bar area was nice. I forgot her name but the woman who worked at the bar was incredibly hospitable and friendly. She knew and understood the meaning of service! It also looked like they had grills around this area too if you wanted to host a BBQ during your stay.

-It was great to be able to walk to the other resorts. We enjoyed dinner at the Aulani and the Marriott, and the beach path was well lit enough for us to walk to and from the Ko Olina Beach Villas resort, even at night. We also REALLY enjoyed Monkeypod, which is a restaurant in a shopping center about a 15 minute walk from the resort.

-Target, Safeway, Chili's, and Costco are about a 10-15 minute drive away.

CONS:
-Not to be overtly critical, but I feel that the Ko Olina Beach Villas resort tries a LITTLE too hard to market this resort as a "resort". While the condos are truly wonderful and the property well maintained and clean, and the pool areas nice - it DOES lack amenities you would find at a traditional resort. For instance, when you click on the "Spa" section of the website, it takes you to the spa at the Marriott's website. When I called the number listed, they didn't seem to have any knowledge that the website of the Ko Olina Beach Villas links to their spa..? And it is a 15 minute walk away. They also advertise fitness classes on the website that take place on site... that don't exist. On a side note: The fitness center is a very large space - but only has a few cardio and weight machines. They could do a lot more with it! It looks very sparse. The locker rooms on the other hand are REALLY large and nice, even though the steam room (like the main pool) was down for maintenance. Sigh.
-The website also lists activities that they can arrange for you. With the exception of one specific boat tour company and a luau, there is not much you can do that will pick you up in Ko Olina -- 99% of tours and activities WILL NOT pick you up from here. (Because it is so far away from most of the activities in Oahu - Honolulu can be over an hour in traffic). Having a car is an ABSOLUTE MUST if you plan to do anything besides go the beach. So while they can help you purchase the tickets, you will have to find your own way there - and it will likely be far! This is partially my fault for not doing more research on the area, but Ko Olina is VERY far out from anything and Honolulu traffic is terrible. If you are "beach layers" and don't care, then I wouldn't worry about it - but if you plan on doing other things on Oahu, know that it will probably take you over an hour to get to most places on the island. However, the "more common" resort areas to stay in tend to be very packed - so while you will likely be able to survive without a car and all tour companies will pick you up (say, like in Waikiki) - you will be staying with thousands of other people, unlike Ko Olina. So staying in this area is certainly a trade-off!
-I was not overly impressed by the service. It would have been nice to have been informed that the main pool would be closed before our stay. There was also an issue with the front desk giving us the same parking spot as another guest. While the gentleman at the front desk eventually changed his tone and apologized, he initially spoke to us in a way that made us somehow responsible for THEIR error. We had to walk down and pick up new parking passes, etc. This isn't a "resort" in the sense that they don't really work to cater to more than just your very basic expectations. However the woman at the bar truly went above and beyond our expectations! If she didn't make such good mai tais, they should have put her at the front desk instead!

Its hard not to have a phenomenal time in Hawaii. While the area was really far out from anything (and the traffic is really terrible), we loved the seclusion of the beaches. The condos were outstanding and we loved not having to go out for every meal, but it lacks traditional resort amenities. Basically there are both good and bad elements to staying here, it just depends on what you are looking for in your vacation! While I loved loved loved the kitchen, I think I will perhaps try the Disney Aulani (adjacent to the Ko Olina Beach Villas) next time. It looks like they had more activities arranged that offered on-site pickup like shopping shuttles, tours, etc. (but only for hotel guests, sort of a bummer!)

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank hollyx113
De Winton, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our first time to Hawaii, I am a bit of a research fanatic about family trips, so I was very confident after all my checking that we would have a good time. Driving from the airport, I was a bit nervous, Honolulu looked really dreary and run down but as soon as we took the turnoff to our area, it was like paradise, well kept grounds that are beautifully lush and landscaped, a gated community, very quiet and not a lot of traffic. The resort was beautiful, very fancy apartments. Ours was a large three bed, three bath on the third floor of the ocean tower. We overlooked the quiet pool and had a gorgeous ocean view. The apartment was huge, lots of room for my husband and I, our three kids and my parents. We were there for nine days and no one felt cramped or got on each others nerves. We spent the days at the pool and beach, the beach was a god send, so calm and beautiful with lots of room to swim and play on the beach but no surf and under toe to worry about with the kids. While researching the trip, I almost booked Turtle bay beach resort, I was glad I didn't because when we went there the surf looked very rough and I wouldn't have let my kids play in it without being right there (they are 9, 7 and 4).

I also almost booked at Aulani at the villas but it would have been 2.5 times the cost to get a villa with a kitchen. I was a bit bummed that we weren't able to stay at Aulani because we travel to disney almost every year in CA an FL but when I got there and walked around it was pretty chaotic, the pools are busy and there's so much to do and so much to buy that I think I would have spent the trip with my kids nagging for everything disney related and playing in the kids pool/playground. The beach at Aulani was also quite busy and the Characters only come out at the resort for very small intervals three times a day.

The staff at Ko' Olina are friendly and helpful, Moon was very nice and talked to all the guests. My only big complaint was that the kids pool was still not open, they said between March 3rd and 8th but when we asked they said the pipe had cracked and it would still be quite a while. We will definitely go back, next time I plan to book a main floor apartment with the same layout in the Beach tower so we can walk right out to the kids pool and have more outdoor space. The Bbq facilities were great, we just got steaks and burgers from Costco and barbequed by the pool with a glass of wine, much more relaxing than hauling everyone out to a restaurant and having to wait for a table. All in all, this is a fantastic resort and I can't recommend it enough.

Also, the Aulani resort makes great margheritas and they have shave ice for the kids:) Costco is only 15 minutes away and they have reasonable prices and great meals to go. The Monkey Pod Restaurant in the area is okay, my kids weren't crazy about the kids meals and the french fries were very old and oil soaked on my husband and my dad's fish n' chips meals. I had the lobster pizza which was really good but everyone took one piece of mine cause they didn't like theirs so I didn't get to eat much of it. They have french press Oahu coffee on the menu which is probably the best coffee I have ever had (and I am picky), they don't sell it in packages but it's worth a trip over there just to get a cup. If you've never been to the island, go to the North Shore to get shave ice and seashells from the beach, the shave ice is much better than Aulani and the atmosphere is pure Hawaii.

Room Tip: If yoou have kids and the lagoon pool is open try to book a main floor apartment in the beach tower...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kari G
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was ther in November 2012and had a great time but..............two of the three hot tubs were not working and the pools were a bit cool. Love the resort.

Now going in Feb. 2013, two hot tubs are SILL broken and the front "river pool" is drained and not working.

If one rents through anyone/agency than the Condo's group one can NOT use the gym!

All these issues @ $350 +. No one offers this information. If you paid you are stuck and you must pay well in advance.

I am not sure that I can risk staying there again too expensive for what you are getting. I have no idea what they would do if all 3 hot tubs were broken or/and both pools.

The hot tubs (2) have been "out" four months that I know of. Guess they are not in a hurry. Too bad it is/was a lovely place.

Room Tip: Check all the picture for the view. Some Lani's do not have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nlwl
U.S.A.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed in Condo #805. This is a beautiful condo, modern decor and appliances, very clean, nice view of the pool and the ocean, quiet and comfortable. Loved the location, private beach, beautiful grounds, right next to the Disney Resort but without the crowds, and very close to Wet'n'Wild, the water park. Also within driving distance to Safeway, Target, Walmart, etc. Far from Waikiki but no need to go there and deal with crowds and traffic at all since you have everything you need within a few minutes. I highly recommend this resort for families or for long stays, totally worth it.

Room Tip: High up if you want a quiet unit but the low ground ones are right next to the pool which is cool if...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 12, 2013

this is my second time here love it the first time love it now. golfs right there nice staff rooms clean pricey but well worth it. and going back next year. And i think most that complain about this place complain about everything. been all over the world this is as good has any four star joint love me trip

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank regangardner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
#8 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,482 reviews

Been to Beach Villas Resort? Share your experiences!