“Holy Moly!”

Beach Villas at Ko Olina
Los Angeles, California
“Holy Moly!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a vacation rental, not a hotel. Which means each condo is owned by individual owners. It cost less per night and more space than a hotel. My family and I stayed here in August and the place is just awesome! My Kids and Wife thought I was a hero (I planned the whole thing).

The units are amzaing. We stayed in two bedroom two bath. It was right on the Ocean, with OceanView. Inside the unit, it felt like a showcase condo right out of HGTV Million dollar rooms. It had all these high end appliances, granite counter top, and the list just kept going on and on.

Then there is the Lanai. Incredible! It opened up so you really felt the Lanai was part of the living room. It was truly indoor/outdoor living. The pools, what can I say. Just amazing!

I will never go back to hotel rentals if I am traveling with my family again. The amount of money I saved on food (had full kitchen in unit) and space of having two full bath and two bedrooms. There was a costco, target, and other chains one mile away and we stocked up for the whole week.

7 Thank Steve C

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Mukilteo, WA.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at Andre Denis's exquisite penthouse suite this July. It is beautiful! Situated on the top floor, corner of the Beach Villa's building, the views were panoramic. We were above the palm tree line and high enough that no sounds from the pool or beach disturbed us. The 2 bdrm suite is so well laid-out with a high end kitchen and the most amazing balconies. Our guest from London was highly impressed with his first taste of Hawaii and swam in the warm ocean water every morning at 7am! He also said the hide-bed in the living room was very comfortable, as were the beds in the 2 bedrooms. There is a level walking /jogging path around the lagoons at Ko Olina that added to a refreshing morning jog. While we did some light cooking, there are a variety of restaurants within walking distance of the villas
We were met at the front entrance by Nadia, who was really helpful with showing us how EVERYTHING at the penthouse worked, where the local stores were, as well as highly-rated off-site restaurants. The pool bar's bartender also made recommendations and reservations for us! The pools and grounds were lovely, clean and secure and well-lit at night. We were always able to find a place to sit. The pool bar has fantastic drinks but no food yet (Snack Peanuts) They are working on trying to get some appetizers available. We did not use the Wolf grills outside by the pools, but it is a nice amenity to have, pool-side.
I have been to many luaus on the islands and the Paradise Cove one is just okay. Very Las Vegas. Not a lot of island history. Fire/torch twirler was excellent. It IS walking distance from the penthouse though. My native friend recommends the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau, but it's a drive, or you can take shuttle from Honolulu.
Auilani - Disney is practically right next door, so we took the kids over for a frozen yogurt and shaved ice. Their fine dining restaurant facing the water was good too.
We have stayed closer to Honolulu before, but prefer the laid-back and relaxed attitude of Ko Olina. Our children were thrilled to see The Black Pearl" (From Pirates of Carribean movie) ship out by the Marina where they filmed some of the movie.
3 other highlights of the trip (Besides surroundings, ambiance and glorious Hawaiian sunsets) Gliding at Dillingham Air Field (NW tip), Pearl Harbor, and climbing Diamond Head - wear good shoes and bring water! Path is NOT paved all the way and it's a steep hike at the end. I saw some poor crying 4 yr. old literally being dragged by her "mother" (I use that word lightly in this case) about 1/2 way up.
We booked our Penthouse through a private link with Andre and the Ko Olina Beach Villas which saved on costs. Having traveled extensively and stayed at many 5 diamond resorts and "Best Hotels in the World," this suite exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank travelbugx4
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a week, and she wished we could stay for more.

Coming from Philadelphia, which is a pretty big city, traveling 30-45 mins to get to Kaploei from Honolulu is pretty normal to us. To locals, it seems that is pretty far. So our opinions may differ there.

Getting to Ko Olina area is pretty much a straight drive from Honolulu. The exit leads right to the guards who check your pass on your mirror. There are about 4 resorts or so here.

The Beach Villas are located further down by Lagoon 2, the only resort with small waterfall by it's sign.

Check in was easy, and the customer service is very good. They showed us how to use the keyfob, which has to be used to open the gate for parking lots, gate access to elevators, as well as allow the elevator to access your floor. Also used to get to/from lagoon from pool area. Pretty secure, right? Don't lose that keyfob or it'll cost you $100.

When check-in was complete, we were taken to our room. We were escorted to one of the best rooms we've ever seen. 2 Bedrooms, 2 lanai (balconies), 2 bathrooms, TVs in each room, fully equipped kitched, washer/dryer... simply fantastic, especially since it was only the two of us most of the trip.

The balcony door opens and slide into the walls, so you have a large view of the ocean. We can see the beach, but the Beach Tower blocked the sunset, which is okay since we were suppose to have a 'partial' ocean view. The main lanai is huge, with 4 chairs and a small table.

The master bedroom has its own separate bathroom with deep soaking tub, separate shower, and separate toilet. There are also blinds that open so there is view from bedroom. The bedroom also has its own personal lanai, which is quite small. Only room for 2 chairs.

If you open both lanai doors, the breeze will flow through the suite, and feels so refreshing. We can see the sunrise from one room, and the sun setting partially through the other lanai.

The hotel has a lap pool/quiet pool for relaxing. It's slightly heated so it's not a big shock in temperature difference. There is also a jacuzzi to the one end. The main pool is more for families, and it has a nice winding shape. One the one size of the main pool is a sandbar for small children. There is some coarse sand to play with and it's only 1ft deep. Beyond this is the bar which will just bill your room. Don't forget your IDs though, or they won't serve you.

By the pools are a few BBQ grills, which are first come first serve for guest to use. By lap pool is sauna and fitness room. By bar is access to lagoon 2, which is amazingly quiet and relaxing.

There are also so many little details that I know I'm forgetting, but all-in-all, my wife wants to live here now, and I definitely would return to stay on another vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Robert N
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We rented a three bed, three bath unit on the 2nd floor by the quiet pool. There were 7 of us, 6 adults and one toddler. I'm sure that we would have been called, a "noisy" group, but we were all off the lanai by 9:00 pm, exhausted by long days sightseeing. Slept like the dead on the comfortable beds. Bar-b-queues were Wolfe; very nice for grilling steaks, shrimp, scallops. Bar was near by, and the bartenders, very nice! Swimming in the cove was fantastic. The pools felt about the same temp as the cove water. the hot tub was HOT! Yay! There are places to hose off sand both in the cove and inside the property. High end appliances in the kitchen and laundry. Don't overload the dryer with towel, though! Secure parking underground. You'll need that car to get to Waikiki, Safeway, Costco or Denny's. For sure, if you plan to go north and find some shrimp trucks!

Room Tip: If you have to see the ocean, go higher than the second floor, though, we did see a pee-a-boo bit, i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank expatVivian
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The Beach Villas = absolute luxury. Off peak rates can run as low as $2,750 p week. Pools are fantastic, as are the pool bars! Lagoon is fairly private, though Disney and the Marriott properties are next door.

I recommend going through Michael Hege (Google). He will most definitely make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank oahufrog
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked a one bedroom suite for two adults and our 17 year old daughter. I scoured the internet for info about one bedroom units, because although they were offered through online booking sites (Expedia, Travelocity etc) and through the resort's own website, all the rent-by-owner sites referred only to 2 and 3 bedroom units. (I later learned that a one-bedroom rental means they lock off the surplus bedrooms). The "one bedrooms" didn't offer any options for ocean view or partial ocean view, so I was not entirely sure what we would get.

When I phoned Ko Olina directly, the woman I spoke with said the one bedrooms all have a partial ocean view and could accommodate no more than 3 people. I thought that was a bit odd -- if they can sleep one kid in the living room, they can normally sleep two -- but since we only needed a suite for 3 I went ahead and booked the one bedroom. It was about $1,000 less than booking a 2 bedroom for our two-week, late August vacation. For a thousand dollars, I figured, our daughter can sleep on a sofa bed for a couple of weeks!

Imagine my surprise when the very courteous young man behind the front desk escorted us to our room, helped us with our bags, showed us around the suite and then said that he would have an air mattress sent up shortly.

Air mattress? Seriously??

Yep. Evidently some of the units have sofabeds, and some do not. Ours did not. Consequently, they were going to send up an air mattress to put on the floor for my teenaged daughter.

Okay, I may have saved a thousand dollars by booking a one bedroom rather than a two bedroom suite, but we still paid luxury accommodation rates for this rental. When we said that was not an acceptable solution and asked if they didn't have a rollaway bed at least, the young man replied, "This is not a hotel." We were not happy. He disappeared for a few minutes and returned to say that, in the circumstances, he would unlock the second bedroom in the unit so that our daughter could use that.

This was an appropriate and satisfactory result. However, the situation should never have arisen. If they didn't have a suite that could sleep three people -- off the floor -- they should not have rented it to a three-person family. An air mattress might work for a very young child, but not for anyone who is grown or nearly so!

Oh, and the "not a hotel" response...I note the hotel rate disclosure card, required by law in all "hotels", is displayed in the room (although rather hidden in the walk in closet). Hmmmmm. Oh well, whatever. The comment still felt rather bristly and it rankled. In fairness, that's the only "bristly" I've had in our two weeks here -- the staff has been very friendly and helpful.

The property itself...the suite is magnificent. We stayed at the Honua Kai on Maui last summer, and it has the same vibe. Very new, excellent condition, top of the line kitchen with a two-drawer dishwasher (operates as two separate dishwashers, so when one is running or full you can park the ongoing dirty dishes in the other one, out of sight, while they wait their turn. Nice. I'm going to get that installed when I get home!), Subzero side-by-side fridge/freezer, wine fridge, kinda cool microwave that slides in and out of a drawer and a Wolf oven/range. In spite of all the fab things I've heard about Wolf, and while it looks very stylish, it takes forever to heat up, both in the oven and on the stovetop. Half an hour to preheat to 400 for a frozen pizza. Crossing that off my dream kitchen wishlist.

The bathrooms have enormous tubs. Huge. Deep and long both. Yay! The master bath has a separate stall shower and a small toilet room. There is a stacking washer/dryer set which works fine (although it's true, if you want to dry something very heavy like a towel it will take about two hours). You can get beach towels at the front desk so no need to bring any along. The bathroom amenities are nice quality, and the property supplies all the detergents, kitchen linens etc along with coffee and green tea, everything refreshed with daily housekeeping service. If you rented directly from an owner, this would likely be a different arrangement.

The unit we are in -- Ocean Tower 410 -- has two full bathrooms and two bedrooms. We are at the very furthest point in the building away from the ocean, but still have a pretty view of it from the lanai. The north side of the Ocean Tower is fronted by a parking lot, so if you are on the bottom four floors the parking lot is always there when you're on the northwest facing lanai, but it doesn't get much traffic. We have a lovely view of the sunset from this angle.

The location is great if you want to be away from Honolulu, action and noise. We went into the city once, and thought we would beat rush hour traffic by heading back at a quarter to 3 pm. Wrong. We made it home at a quarter past four, crawling along the whole way. This place is perfect if you have little children and want a quiet, safe beach area or if you want a tranquil relax and can amuse yourself. That being said, it would be too quiet for some folks, so choose accordingly.

The town of Kapolei is about a ten minute drive from Ko Olina, and has everything you might need during your stay: Costco, Safeway, Wal-mart, Target, clothes, sporting goods, banks etc etc. The whole shopping area in Kapolei looks brand spanking new and appears to still be under construction. You must have a car to stay here unless you are only coming for a few days and will have all supplies with you, or intend to eat all your meals at the few neighbouring resorts that have restaurants. On the plus side, there is no "resort fee" for parking, wifi etc.

There is lots of shade around the pools during the morning and in mid- to late afternoon, but the loungers are fully exposed to the sun for a few hours at midday. The only umbrellas are at the table-and-chair areas. The beach has ten permanent shade umbrellas that are available for first-come, first-serve and quite a lot of shade from trees and tall bushes. This lagoon is far less crowded than the ones that front the neighbouring Marriott condos and the Marriott hotel & Disney Aulani hotel properties. We have found a shady area on the beach for ourselves every day, at any time of day, on this lagoon. The lagoon itself is delightful: crystal clear water, sandy bottom, virtually no waves so very easy and safe for swimming, but it might be a bit boring for those who are looking for some waves to play in.

The gardens are lovely, as are the koi ponds. The property is a bit compact compared to the other resorts named above, but they've done well with what they have.

I note a recent review that mentions crowds and noise - while we've been here, a notice went up stating that no condo can have more than six guests on the property at a time, and restricting the size limit of coolers that are taken to the pool area. I'm kinda puzzled about the cooler size limit, but maybe that was in response to people setting up extended parties by the pool? I haven't noticed any loud or rowdy behaviour at all, and the security team does -- very politely -- make their presence known.

Both pools (kids and quiet) feel the same temperature to me although only the quiet pool is heated, but that may be because it's August and hot outside! One of the three hot tubs is working but it's never crowded anyway. The BBQs are scrubbed down every morning and everything seems to be very well maintained. The fitness room is a fair size has the usual stuff - elliptical, treadmill, cycle etc - and a steam room, sauna & shower that is quite plush and comfortable, with everything in the ladies' that you might need, right down to disposable razors.

All told, I would come back here for sure, although I think my teen sometimes wishes we were someplace more exciting. It's quieter in Ko Olina than Kaanapali on Maui, but generally looks like it's meant to eventually feel much the same, once all the vacant property here has been developed. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy all the space at the beach!

Room Tip: Ocean tower views are not as good as Beach tower, but they are still nice.
13 Thank mygirlscats
Irvine
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We really enjoyed our week stay at the Ko Olina Beach Villas. We were on the ground floor and we had the view of the ocean. The pools were great but the jacuzzi's in the front pool were not working. The gym is nice and the pool off the gym is nice and that jacuzzi was working. The staff at the resort are very friendly. The Aulani (Disney Resort) is right next to the beach villas and we stayed there one night. The beach in front the villas was nice and quite while we were there. The inside of the condo was nice and spacious and clean. We are going to go back beacuse we really enjoyed the place and the location.

1 Thank NatcoH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Beach Villas at Ko Olina? Share your experiences!