Beach Villas at Ko Olina
$199
$212
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club(Kapolei)(Great Value!)
$884
$209
Official Website
$132
$119
All reviewsquiet poolbeach towerthree bedroomola propertiesdisney resortthrough vrbokids poollap swimmingbeach toysproperty managerbeautiful condogated communitywasher and dryerwedding chapelhot tubresort areabeach bar
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This place was great. I came with my 2 sons and their girlfriends (20 something's)and it was very comfortable, convenient to many activities and relaxing. The pool area and beach were very close and beautifully landscaped. We had one small problem with maintenance but the rental company, Ola Properties, took care of it immediately. One of the BEST things was Marcy at the Beach Bar who helped us schedule and book activities all over the island She was extremely knowledgeable and very friendly. Thank you Marcy and Ola Properties!

Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank psemale
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and I and our two young sons (under 7 years old) are regular travellers to Oahu but generally stay closer to the Waikiki area. We spent the first part of this trip in Waikiki and moved to unit #903 at the Ko Olina Beach Villas. Wonderful unit and property! We rented this unit through VRBO.

We were met by the lady, Gabriela, who coordinates the cleaning of various units in the area. She appears quite organized and gave us a useful run-through of the unit and the various features and appliances. The spacious 1600 square foot unit is a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit with a full kitchen (featuring Wolf appliances, a Subzero fridge & wine cooler). It faces the ocean and pool and is furnished with high end, coordinated furniture with a tropical feel. The particularly unit we stayed at has a number of beach toys/equipment included and various flat screen TVs, a Sony playstation and Ipod music docks.

The property is directly adjacent to the new Disney resort (Aulani) and very close to the 4 man made lagoons (great swimming & snorkeling for young kids as the waters are protected and calm -- in a previous trip we saw a sea turtle in one of the lagoons!). The property features a lap pool (adults only) and a beautiful children's pool that is built with in a more naturalistic style; it also offers a beautiful Koi fish pond and a large fitness facility with comprehensive high end equipment.

The entire area of Ko Olina is somewhat reminiscent of the Kanaapali area of Maui (golf course, manicured resort properties etc). Close by (less than 5 minutes and one exit away on the highway), there is the community of Kapolei where you will find a Target, Costco, Safeway, a large movie theater complex and many other restaurants, services and amenities.

We had plans to visit Pearl Harbour, the plantation train etc. but given how relaxing the resort and environment are, may well just putter around and enjoy some beach and pool time!

Room Tip: For added enjoyment, definitely go for a beach/ocean facing unit.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank A_Mariner
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Ko Olina Beach Villas Resort is spectacular! We stayed in unit O321 and cannot say enough about it! The Resort consists of hotel units and privately owned units; this was a privately owned unit which I found on VRBO.

I was travelling for work and my husband and 21 year old daughter accompanied me. Everything from booking the unit to checking in was professional and easy. We were met at the lobby and showed to our parking space (which was very close to the entrance) and then escorted up to the suite. Upon walking into the suite we were instantly in love! It is an amazing 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite; better than pictures can convey. My daughter was so thrilled to have her own private 'wing' all to herself. We felt right at home instantly as everything you could possibly need is supplied. The window wall is a great feature, and we spent our evenings enjoying the lanai. The fully equipped Roy Yamaguchi designed kitchen is amazing and the Wolf appliances are second to none. Having an ice maker and a blender is a huge plus!

The grounds are spectacular. Five Stars. There are koi ponds, canals, pools and a hot tub as well as a pool bar open which is open every afternoon. There are loungers around the pools (we always managed to get a seat somewhere) and also Wolf BBQs for outdoor cooking. There are no restaurants in the Resort, but between the kitchens and BBQs you are well equipped to cook your own meals.
Outside the pool area is the beach. There are four man-made lagoons in Ko Olina; The Beach Villas are on the number 2 lagoon. It is excellent for kids of all ages – no worries about strong currents – just clear, blue water. My husband videotaped a giant turtle!

You can walk to a (really good!) Mexican restaurant in the wee village, or Roys or to my personal favorite, Chuck’s Steakhouse at the Marriott Beach Club (see my separate review on Chuck’s Steak House) for dining options. For groceries and everything else you can drive to Kapolei (not even10 minutes away) where there is a Costco, Safeway, Target, Ross etc.

I will definitely go back again, and I recommend this area over Honolulu if you want to really enjoy the island of Oahu. My husband and daughter spent a lot of their time on the beaches of the North Shore while I worked and enjoyed every single minute. They also recreated the movie “50 First Dates” and went for shave ice at Matsumoto’s etc. Haleiwa Joe’s restaurant was the best place to watch the sunset; it has a cool, laid-back atmosphere and good food.

The Disney property was not quite open yet so I can't say how that has affected the beach crowds.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower is farther back on the property but is quiet and private, we had a partial view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank BoomChickaCUBA
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Our second time staying in the Ko Olina area, this time we brought my parents, so a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo seemed our best bet (as opposed to a hotel). We got a really good deal using StayAtCondo.com. The owner of our unit was very nice and accommodating, even giving me a choice between 2 of her properties.

I chose the Ocean Tower, just because it was 2 floors higher than her other condo, which was in the Beach Tower. Next time, I'll chose the Beach Tower though.

First the cons: One of our weirder issues was that the parking for our unit was in the Beach Tower, so we did have to lug all of our stuff from one tower to the other. But like I said, it was more weird than anything else.
Also, a negative was how it seemed really easy to see into the condos across the way, which means that they could see in on us too...
The "quiet" pool was not so quiet, and it wasn't just kids, but loud adults as well. Granted, we don't come to Hawaii for the pool, no matter where we're staying.

The PROS: our condo was great. Fully loaded kitchen, with kid-safe features - perfect for my little curious toddler. 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - perfect for 4 adults and a 2-year-old boy. Washer and dryer IN UNIT! Always a plus for a messy toddler, and so that we didn't have to pack for the entire trip, nor did we bring home any dirty clothes! The couch in our room was so comfy. A dining table that came in handy the one rainy night we ate in. Flat-screen TVs in both bedrooms and the living rooms (yes, there were like a hundred remotes to turn everything on, but my parents have the same thing at their house so we were used to it! HAHAHA!) And our lanai was spacious, stretching from the living area down to the master bedroom (the master bedroom had its own door to the lanai).

The property was beautiful. Two pools, spaced apart by the lobby. The staff was great! Very informative, incredibly helpful and friendly. The koi ponds were spectacular. My son loved it, especially being able to feed the koi fish. The beach is literally a few steps from the property, and the Honu Lagoon (Lagoon 2) was a perfect place for my little man to run around all day. The property was very well maintained.

I would stay here again, without a doubt!

Room Tip: Figure out where the room faces before making your decision....
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BeezPulelehua27
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We were told by the owner through VRBO that the lanai was "secure" but on our last day, a man walked the roof next to our lanai and said he was with engineering walking past the ledge while we were at breakfast when we asked- he looked in before that. He was not dressed properly or wearing badge. I called the owner and left message but we locked up and hoped for the best but did not hear he was staff until late in the afternoon. They did not think to knock or call or anything- just show up to get an "emergency"-someone had dropped a plastic key off on the roof. The Beach Villas felt this was okay by email later and Ola Properties said they cannot control Beach Villas. We are staying in hotels from now on since someone needs to be accountable for what happens and security is a prime issue when traveling.

Also parking was far away and my hubby hiked while I stood waiting and waiting, our plastic key was timed wrong for our late checkout, the room had an air that it was not recently used/cleaned and was a bit worn for the price. Only just enough toilet paper or kleenex. Only basic cable and four remotes to use which meant 45 minutes reading how to use them. The lobby has a roped off area for "club" members so there is no place to sit and the restrooms by lobby are similarly closed off. Not very friendly. The only restroom is by the bar in a dark below ground area that did not seem safe- my hubby stood guard for me. The gates to the place do not always lock close...

And the "Quiet" pool was on and off quiet- only if the pool attendant decided to work. We saw screaming parents (sorry this is the other side of the deal with kids) and drunken behavior of some yelling swear words down to the pool from the lanaii. I like the sound of kids playing nicely and so do not think I am some kind of kid hater. I have had two myself. But out of control children is a problem with the rooms surrounding the pool in that area. Parents had to be reminded and when that happened then everyone was happy. But it was so inconsistent and in Hawaii you want to use the pool or even spend time on your lanai. We had to shut the door or go for walk or use the lagoon which is great but not late in the evening when it gets cool in the winter months.

So next time, Ko Olina is a great place- but we will stay in a hotel setting so we get value and security and peace and quiet too. Sorry so long but the setting is so nice we hope they get their act together and we can find a place that is better next time for the 3 grand we spent for one week there without an ocean view!

Room Tip: Use a hotel property at Ko Olina- I guess Disney if you have kids or we will try a house or other low rise condo in area- wish us luck! Do not go with private owner at Beach Villas in the high rises- and the one Marriott looked old and the other one was another high rise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple